It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Inactive

Regina21 HB User
Finally got my wks straight...oh and a question

Well I just got back from my Dr and thanks be to GOD everything looks and sounds healthy. The heart beat sounds a little louder now...more like a pounding instead of a light "squishing"...They told me also i'm 24 weeks...so that stops the guessing game finally! lol* I came home and wrote it on my calender first thing just in case I needed it for future reference. We also got a book type thing on our choices of hospitals...we're thinking about going for a tour next wednesday (any ladies think this is a good idea? Did you all do it?). Either way I want to see the facility and be familiar with it for when that good day arrives.

Now here's my question. He told me that next month they will be doing a diabetes test (i'm hoping every lady gets that done cuz if not that means somethings just wrong with me....) I'll be given a sugar solution type thing to drink and then an hour later they'll check for diabetes...any idea on how this is performed? I'm guessing they draw your blood? Do they test me or the baby? both? It's a nerve racking thing to think I could have this and not know.

The little guy is kicking alot more now. I was at work the other day and he wouldn't stop. Had to kinda shake my stomach and tell him to quit. I love the feeling don't get me wrong, but he does this thing to where it feels like he's always kicking my bladder and even though it only lasts for a second, in that second i have the strongest urge to pee and then it's gone...until he kicks again. Anyway, if I could have someone answer my question about the diabetes test, maybe a little more thorough information, I would appreciate it greatly. Have a great day ladies*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User
Re: Finally got my wks straight...oh and a question

Yes everyone gets this test and this stage in there pg.You do drink something its not great but they make it flavored now not too bad then hmm I think they do test your blood I cant remember . I do remember its takes a few hours though and you have to stay there at do it or at least you do here. I dont think your suspose to eat b4 you go. There im sure will be someone of more help on here. This is my 4th pg you would think I would remember it all lol

Old 01-04-2005, 06:02 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

The Glucose test is routine and is done on every pregnant woman at that gestation. It tests your glucose, not the baby. They will give you a special flavored drink and then you have to wait an hour ( most doc offices will let you leave and run errands or go shopping) and then they will draw blood. Simple as that. Congratulations and good luck!!

ValleyGurl

Old 01-04-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

yep...just drink the icky stuff.....have a blood draw.

If your numbers aren't low enough you'll have to do the 3 hour......twice as much liquid...and four blood draws (Finger pricks).

Just be sure to call a few days ahead and make sure there is/isn't anything they want you to do before hand (IE fast)..

Old 01-04-2005, 07:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
yep...just drink the icky stuff.....have a blood draw.

If your numbers aren't low enough you'll have to do the 3 hour......twice as much liquid...and four blood draws (Finger pricks).

Just be sure to call a few days ahead and make sure there is/isn't anything they want you to do before hand (IE fast)..
With my 3 hour I had to drink the same amount as the 1 hour and I had to have blood drawn in viles. I had to fast.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

I had mine and the stuff you have to drink is kinda gross. But it is for a good reason, so ya just gotta do it.

I had to fast before drinking it, so I made sure to have my appointment as early in the morning as possible. First, they drew blood. Then I drank the stuff, went back 2 hours later (actually, they had an extra room with a recliner in it, so they let me go in there and take a little nap which was nice) and they drew more blood. Needles dont phase me so that part wasnt bad.

Good luck....

Old 01-04-2005, 09:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea03
With my 3 hour I had to drink the same amount as the 1 hour and I had to have blood drawn in viles. I had to fast.
Really? I would have freaked if they had to do vials for my three hour....EEK! Guess not all doctors do it the same way.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:32 PM   #8
Inactive

Regina21 HB User

SERIOUSLY? Oh geez....I don't have my appt. till 2 in the afternoon. I try and schedule them to where it doesn't interfere with work. The less confrontation and moans and groans the better. But shouldn't the secretary or someone let me know that I wasn't allowed to eat or anything before the appointment? But in all...thanks for everyone's info!

Last edited by Regina21; 01-04-2005 at 09:33 PM.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:18 PM   #9
(female)

dm76 HB User

Its called glucose test. Don't worry it doesn't taste that bad, but its really sweet. If you like sweets, enjoy.

Last edited by dm76; 01-05-2005 at 08:18 PM.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:20 PM   #10
(female)

dm76 HB User

by the way I didn't have to fast and only took me 30 m before the did the test.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

It tastes kinda like McDonalds orange pop...only concentrated...you'd think it was the syrup they use to make their pop...I like sweets so I didn't mind it at all. But I heard a couple years ago that the States has Cherry flavor too? (Not sure if that's true or not) We only have orange.

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 01-05-2005 at 10:25 PM.

Closed Thread