It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2005, 07:15 AM   #1

Blue2U HB User
Pregency Test

Has anyone heard of getting a postive pregnancy test way before your period was due?

I know there are certain tests you can take up a couple (one or two) days before your period is due, but have you heard of one coming up positive 2 weeks before your period is due?

This would not be a case of being pregnant a month before and still having your period. We are positive the last period was normal, and no pregancy as a test was taken the day before the period started and it was negative, cycle was normal.

Now two weeks before next period is due to start, symptoms began, take a test and it's postive.

Could this be correct?

Old 01-05-2005, 10:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: Pregency Test

It's possible if you ovulated sometime during your period or just after, or if the test result last month was a false negative (some women still get regular periods while pregnant and some women don't have tests show up positive until they are several weeks along). It's possible that you could have gotten pregnant during your last cycle and not have known it with it being masked by a false negative test and a period. Most symptoms generally start between 4-6 weeks, so depending on what your symptoms are, you could be farther along than you think. The tests only give false positives when you have recently had a baby or a miscarriage. It takes at least 10 days after the egg is fertilized to implant in your uterus and for your body to start produceing HCG, the pregnancy hormone that the tests detect. If you have a normal 28-day cycle with ovulation on day 14, it wouldn't be until a few days before your period that the egg would have implanted and your body would produce the HCG to be detected by the test.

Either way, if you had a positive pregnant test, you should call your doctor. They will probably do a blood test to confirm, and if you are indeed pregnant, they will probably do an ultrasound soon to find out how far along you are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

Yes. In fact, when I got pregnant with my daughter, I knew 2 days after I had intercourse. I was ovulating and felt sore breasts and some bloating. I would only get sore breasts about a week before my period, but never 2 weeks before. So I knew I was pregnant. I used a pregnancy test that tests earlier (you don't have to wait until you miss your period). You can test about 4 days before your period is due. I did this and got a very faint pink line but a pink line is a pink line. I can't remember the name of the test, but if you go to your drugstore, just do a little searching. And for you , maybe you got pregnant and didn't realize it because sperm can live for several days and maybe you ovulated earlier in this cycle than you realized. So, keep us posted.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

Oh, and congratulations!!!

Old 01-05-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

Hmmm. I would start by saying "anything is possible," but it is very very very unlikely. Here's why:

The portion of the menstrual cycle from the time the woman ovulates until the time the next period begins (or is due to begin) is called the luteal phase. For most women, this phase is about 12-16 days long, and it seems like most medical websites will tell you that it has to be at least 10 days long in order to allow a fertilized egg enough time to implant. So, most women ovulate about 12-16 days before their next period is due.

Pregnancy tests look for the pregnancy hormone hCG. In most cases, this hormone is not detectable in the mother's blood until about 8 days after the fertilized egg implants, and even later in the urine. In order to get a positive pregnancy test 2 weeks before your period is due (assuming you are not pregnant from the cycle before, as you said in your post, and even assuming your luteal phase is a full 16 days long), the test would have to be detecting hCG that appeared about a day or two after intercourse that led to fertilization of an egg. I just don't think it works that way.

That's not to say you're NOT pregnant, just that if it were me, I would not rely on that test. I would suggest waiting until your period is due and taking another test then, or if you are concerned, maybe try to get a blood test about 5 days before your period is due.

Good luck, and I hope you get the result you want!

Old 01-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #6
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

If you're anything like me, the sore breasts is a sure sign. Call your doctor and be seen. I don't know what other condition, aside from pregnancy, could give you a positive result on a pregnancy test. Here's wishing you the best of luck.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #7
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

I'm repeating myself but I would call the doctor. I am pretty sure that sometimes if there is a cyst or something on an ovary it can give you a positive result on a pregnancy test, but I'm not positive. Talk to your doctor. Ask him too if it's possible to have a tubal pregnancy. Let us know.

Closed Thread