It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #1

Jupiters008 HB User
Questions about First Doc appt

Hi guys,

well i am about 8 weeks and on Friday I go for my first Doctors appt. I am 24 and have never been to a gyno , i know that sounds bad, i have anxiety disorder and one the things i'm anxious about is Doctors..so needless to say i am in a panic about it. What should i expect? Will they do an ultrasound?

Thank you

Old 01-05-2005, 12:05 PM   #2
(female)

Mary0114 HB User
Re: Questions about First Doc appt

The doctor will do a pelvic exam. That is a given. Since you've never been there before, can your husband or do you have a good friend who can go with you? It may help calm you. The doctor will order blood tests. They may try and check for heartbeat, but it's not definite you will hear it that early. sometimes they can see something on an ultrasound. Also, doctors can tell by looking in the vagina if you are pregnant, as it turns a blue tint because of more blood flow. Anyway, you will have tons of blood drawn and then the doctor will call you with results. Assuming everything looks fine, then you will see the doctor once a month for check ups. The important thing to remember during the exam is to relax your lower abdominal muscles and relax your legs. You let your legs just fall to the side and don't try to fight the doctor. A good doctor will talk to you as you are examined. I'm sure they will do a pap smear. It takes just a few minutes. Also, make sure that you go "#2" before you go to the doctor. If you are constipated, it makes for an uncomfortable exam. Trust me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 12:07 PM   #3
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

Also, take those prenatals. You need your folic acid.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

Jupiters - don't make yourself crazy about the exam. If you're more comfortable with a woman, you should be able to request a female examiner. The exam isn't what I'd call pleasant, but it's not scary. Just relax and remember that the doctor has done this a thousand times and knows what s/he's doing. Deep breaths will help. Basically, you'll undress - all the way - and put on a robe/gown. Then you'll be asked to lie down on a table, and scoot your butt to the end edge of the table, where you'll put your feet (legs apart) in plastic stirrups. Your gown thing will be covering your body & legs, but your vagina will be exposed to the doctor. The doctor will use a speculum to open your vagina to see the cervix - this might be a bit uncomfortable, but doesn't hurt - it looks kinda like two spatulas back to back. Then the doc will do a Pap Smear - basically just swabbing a q-tip over your cervix - takes only a few seconds and is kind of uncomfortable, but if you exhale deeply while it's being done you shouldn't feel it. S/he'll also look at your cervix to make sure everything looks OK. Then s/he'll take out the speculum and feel your ovaries and whatnot by using two finger in your vagina while pressing down with the other hand on top of your tummy. Then the vagina part is over - you'll probably have a breast exam, so you'll have to drop your gown and the doctor will examine (kneading gently with both hands) both of your breasts to make sure there's no lumps or anything abnormal. That's about it for the physical part...the doc will also listen to your heart and breathing, and you'll have to give blood so they can do a complete blood count and test for STDs and other things, and your doctor will talk to you about other tests you can have and your family history and answer any questions you may have. It's not bad at all - just remember to calm yourself down and think of the doctor as a friend who's helping you out. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2005, 02:55 PM   #5
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Normally they wont do an u/s unless your periods are messed up like mione and they have to figure out your due date. they will do a pelvic exam its not as bad as some people say they will make sure theres no lumps in your breasts and give you lots of info and reading material about being pg. Its not so bad they dont do a pelvic exam very much during the beginning of your pregnancy also so thats good. congrats on your pg !!

Old 01-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Okay, people make it seem worse than it is. Like everyone mentioned here, it's not bad, or it doesn't hurt at all. Nobody's comfortable with your legs open, with a stranger looking in there, but they do this alllll day! It goes really fast. I had a sonogram the first time, and it was done internally. He put a long stick in there, and he could see the baby, with the heart beating and everything, it was great! Try to relax, and like someone else said, bring someone else with you. Let us know how it goes, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Old 01-05-2005, 04:38 PM   #7
Inactive

Regina21 HB User

I agree...do take someone with you that can be there to support you. I sadly went to my first pre-natal exam alone (thinking my fiance didn't need to be there for the first one...duh me*) and I was so scared and felt so alone. I left that Dr.'s office crying my eyes out. Now my fiance goes with me all the time and I leave with nothing but a huge smile on my face. Congrats*

Old 01-07-2005, 07:00 AM   #8
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

Jupiters - let us know how your appointment goes today!

Old 01-07-2005, 02:10 PM   #9

Jupiters008 HB User

hi guys!
phew i did it! Thank you all for your advice, i was really nervous about going, but reading your posts helped me out!
It went pretty smoothly, the doc had a lady that was studying to be a gyno/ob do all the work, while he watched on, but it wasn't THAT bad, i did keep my eyes closed the whole time lol. I had my mom go with me which also helped out.
They gave me a list of blood work that i have to go get done, they said everything feels great, and that my uterus appears to be about 8 weeks, which would be right! She gave an EDD of August 11th, and i go back in 2 weeks to see how the blood work turned out ( they still need confirmation from the blood work to say that im pregnant). This is the first time that i have been feeling good about all of this, thank you all SOOO much!! I am begining to think i will be able to do this afterall.
One thing that i am confused about is, i have panic/anxiety disorder--and i take 12.5 mgs of Zoloft, he made the comment that it was good that i was on a low dose so i can stop taking it easier..i am really afraid to stop taking it but i dont want to hurt the baby either. I have talked to some others and they said they kept taking it and had healthy babies, that it would do more harm to NOT take it and have the depression/anxiety come back. Sooo i dunno what is going to happen, anyone have any experience in that area?

wow sorry for such a long post!

Thanks again

--Missy

Old 01-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Missy- Yay! You did it, it wasn't as bad as you though right? I have panic/anxiety, and was on paxil, 10mg, for years before I found out I was pregnant. I did stop taking it, at the advise from my GP, and I'll tell you about that later.... But when I went to the OB for the first appt, he said I could have taken it the whole time, and that it was safe. I must say for me.... the withdrawal was god awful. I can't compare anything else to it. I am really sensitive to medication as it is, so to stop cold turkey ( advise of the GP, he said my dose was so low too) was one of the hardest things for me to go through. I look back now, and sometimes wish I was still on it, because I have had a panic attack or two, and have the generalized anxiety everyday. But after what i went through with the withdrawal, I will never take that kind of drug again. I don't know what I will do once the baby is born, probably look into another option, but I do feel good about my choice to not take anything during my pregnancy. You've got to weigh the pros and cons for you individually. Actually, some people say that your horemone levels are so high during pregnancy, that people with anxiety feel really good, "normal" during that time, because everything is balanced out. I have found a few ladies on theis board that have been through this, and they were really helpful, maybe start a new post about it. Anyway, congratulations, and feel good, let me know if you need any help with this whole thing......

Carrie

Closed Thread