It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 01:29 AM   #1

Scared222 HB User
Angry Heartburn!!!!!!!

What is safe for heartburn? I swear I have had it all night. Even a feeling like puking, like their is something sitting in the top of my throat that just bothers me. I am burping sometimes and it doesnt make it go away. hurts so bad I have been taking tums for about 2 weeks when i need it. Tongiht i have already taken 5 tums. I read somewhere that their is calcium deposits in the tums that could cause kidney stones. I need relief!! It is 4:30am here and I can not sleep! I am getting very emotional now lol I am crying from the pain and from not being able to sleep ... this little boy is giving me trouble already! Ill have to write him a little letter and add it to his baby book!

Old 01-06-2005, 03:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: Heartburn!!!!!!!

You would need to eat 10,000 + Tums to really be worried about something like that. Keep popping 'em baby. I'm also pretty sure that Maloxx is safe. I had a co-worker who was chugging hers straight from the bottle by the end of her pregnancy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 04:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User

Yup. I was popping rennies whick I belive are the same as tums too but if you want quick and effective I found the only thing that really worked for my heartburn is liquid gaviscon. It's horrible and makes you gag lol but it's sooo worth it! I have to plug my nose when I take it but honestly I just drink it straight from the bottle lol. Thankfully baby's dropped now so I'm not suffering very much anymore but Oh man did it hurt! It used to make me feel sick too.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

JodyC HB User

I had Tums in the bedroom, bathroom, purse, kitchen, work, ect. They were everywhere, and I took them ALL THE TIME I couldn't have survived my pg without them.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

HI

I have had heartburn through my whole pregnancy. I take prilosec over the counter. Tums is good for occaisional heartburn, but prilosec works different. It is for people who have HB 3 or more times a week. You take one in the morning and thats it. It may take a few days to get into your bloodstream. For me it worked immedietly. I have had such relief. There is no way i could have suffered with heartburn through this whole pregnancy.

This was all recommended to me by my OBGYN. He said it is PERFECTLY safe and that it is more dangerous to let heartburn go as you can permanetly damage your esophogas. He said i can still take maalox during the prilosec treatment. his suggestion, wait about 1-2 hours after you eat then take some maalox.

Prilosec closes off the muscle that lets acid into your stomach and no more heartburn!!! It is a relief!

Old 09-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

Prilosec is the only thing that works for me BUT I was told not to take it during pregnancy! I have a hiatal hernia + excess acid production so I am su ffering at just 5 weeks pg. Tums works for about 10 mins. Once I lie down or bend over, it's back to burning. I can't even drink soda or orange juice.
I'm told I can take Pepci AC, but it never worked for me in the past, so I am at a loss. If you've found any remedies that work long term, let me know! Thanks and good luck.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User

I have had HORRIBLE heartburn this entire pregnancy and I never had it in my life. First in the second trimester the Tums did the trick but as the baby gets bigger and you have less room the heartburn gets worse and you need more than tums. I am now in my 36 week. From about 30 weeks I was taking Zantac Over The Counter as per my doctor, as well as Mylanta. IT DEFINATELY did the trick. I take it in the morning and then an hour before bed.

Little Tidbits: Stay away from acidy foods. Also, I was told to let my food digest for 3 hours before I lay down because as the baby grows, it takes alot of time to digest. If I don't do this, even with taking the Zantac, I wake up from a dead sleep choking from the Acid Reflux. It is horendous (sp?). And when you sleep, make sure you sleep elevated. If it wasn't for the heartburn, I wouldn't have had a difficult pregnancy at all.

Good Luck and let me know how it works.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

I think I've posted this like a million times, but it's because it works SO well for me. Doesn't mean it will for everyone though. I take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda with a glass of water. Make sure it's dissolved well and chug. It doesn't taste fantastic, but you get used to it and it's effects are well worth it in my opinion. Almost instant in my case every time. I live by it right now.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Can I ask what heartburn feels like? I had a stabbing like feeling in my right breast (on the underneath side) last night, but I wasn't sure if that was heart burn.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Question Re: Heartburn!!!!!!!

I never had heartburn in my life, for me, it was a burping type thing, but it was uncomfortable and it was non-stop. I did buy Tums and took them once, I didnn't like it because I had morning sickness at the time, so the thought of chewing on berry flavored chalk made me queasy.
In my pregnancy book from the doctor, it says it is safe to take just about most anti-acid medicines, like Tums, Maalox, etc. All those regular mainstream brands in the store.
For those of you who take Tums what flavor do you prefer?

Old 09-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

Heartburn feels like a burny acid feeling(liquidy) is coming back up into your throat from your stomach. It feels hot and sour and well, it burns. That is how I experience heartburn.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

Yes, it can burn all the way up the esophagus.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Is it much different from acid reflux? Because that sounds like my acid reflux symptoms.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:42 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCouture
For those of you who take Tums what flavor do you prefer?

The only flavor that i feel doesnt taste like chalk is the orange. It kind of taste like childrens vitamins.

Old 09-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Sherbet HB User

I'm with PJ on this one.... I take Gaviscon. My throat won't close over the liquid stuff in the bottle so I have the chewable tablets, they come in aniseed, lemon and peppermint (the ppmint is best ).

I'm just so happy that they've come up with a remedy that is pregnancy friendly! Now all they have to do is come up with a pregnancy friendly constipation remedy!!!!!!

Closed Thread