It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User
Anyone live with a smoker

My boyfriend and I are both college students, who live in an apartment with a smoker. Our roommate smokes cigarettes and marijuana daily and we cannot afford to move. The only time I'm not around smoke is when I am at my parents house, three hours away. I use to smoke myself, except I quit cold-turkey when I found out I was pregnant. I hate the fact that I gave up a habit that I had been doing for 6 years and am still subjected to second-hand smoke. The thing is, when he smokes, he goes into his bedroom and shuts the door. I can still smell it though. I am just wondering if I should be okay as long as he isn't sitting next to me.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
Veteran

rach12 HB User
Re: Anyone live with a smoker

What are your plans for when the baby comes? The baby can not be around pot smoke? I think you and your boyrfriend really need to look into a new home. I hope it all works out for you. I read in my books that second hand smoke is just as bad as smoking yourself. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 06:55 AM   #3
(female)

jaybird75 HB User
Re: Anyone live with a smoker

Hi Lynn...that's tough. On the one hand, our whole parents generation was raised with smokers and a lot of them turned out OK, but on the other hand, all the science today proves that second-hand smoke it just as bad and smoking yourself. My husband's parents both smoke heavily and whenever we go to their house, it's all I can do not to run out of there gasping for air - ugh. Not to mention all my clothes smell, hair smells, etc. Alot of out friends smoke pot too, but if thy come over, I make them go in the basement where I can't smell it...although my personal opinion is that the cigarette smoke is much worse than the pot smoke...

Anyway, if you can't afford to move, you're sort of between a rock and a hard place...if you can invest in a high quality air purifyer, that might help. I suppose it's nice of your roommate to go into his own room to smoke, but maybe if he adds some towels under the door or something, uses a fan by the window - anything to cut back on the smoke you're inhaling. Also maybe get some of those surgical masks for you to wear while he's smoking? It might look stupid, but at least you won't be breathing in as much smoke. Just a thought.

Closed Thread