It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 09:42 AM   #1
(female)

chrystina505 HB User
Thumbs down Help with bad habit

Hi! I am hoping someone has some advise for me. I just found out I was pregnant 2 days ago. I have been a smoker for the past 2 yrs and I always thought that it would be so easy to quit if I became pregnant. That is not the case. I used to smoke a pack every other day and since I found out of my news I have smoked no more than 5 cigs a day. My fiancee bought me this stuff called smoke away to help me quit. I know smoking is not healthy for the baby but has any one heard of smoke away?

Old 01-07-2005, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User
Re: Help with bad habit

How far along are you? I have heard of it and am very curious if it works, keep me posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 09:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

I've hear of Smoke Away. I've seen it on infomercials over the years. It claims to be all natural...Maybe it is. But I would show it to your doctor and see what they say before you start taking it. Even things that are found naturally can be harmful to little babies.

It is very good that you've cut down. I was smoking too when I found out I was pregnant. It took a few weeks to kick those last few smokes a day, but I did it and you can do it too!! Stay strong, think of that baby (I know you do) and don't beat yourself up if you slip up when quitting, just move past it and keep trying!!! You'll find that once you quit for a few weeks you relly don't miss it that much

Old 01-07-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

Since I'm not a smoker, I can't give you advice on how to quit I can only say that since you know it's bad for the baby, you need to do it. Looks like Kiera would be the expert on this. Prematurity is a risk you take when you smoke through pregnancy. The baby can be born with life long lung problems along with low birth weight and prematurity. I can't help you with quitting smoking, but I know a good resource would be March of Dimes. Give them a call with your dilemma. They have information about the risk of smoking and I'm sure they can give you help on quitting. Believe me and you already know this, you don't want to take the risk. I wish you the strength to quit.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User

K-
How long did it take you to quit and how did you do it?

Old 01-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
(female)

chrystina505 HB User

I'm not sure how far along I am. I saw the Dr 2 days ago and she said that I could either be 6 wks pg and got my period last month or I could be 2 wks pg. Think I am only 2wks though since the 2nd line on my test was very faint. Have my first OB appt in Feb so I will find out for sure then. Thank you all for the advise and support. Every time I go to light up I think about what it is doing to my baby and it helps me to put it back down.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:32 PM   #7
(female)

redstarr987 HB User
Wink Re: Help with bad habit

I quit smoking right before I found out I was pregnant with my first daughter. I didn't have a choice. Every time I lit up, I threw up. I guess it was her way of saying "quit." Then I started back up last year. I became pregnant again and found out in Aug. and didn't quit until Dec. 5! I managed to slow down but I just couldn't beat it. Dec. 5 was my husband's birthday. I think that might have been an incentive for me. I always ask myself how I could have done it for him and not for my baby. It doesn't seem right and I feel so guilty that I smoked. Now that I've quit though I am just so mad that it wasn't sooner. In hindsight, quitting wasn't as horrible as it felt. You just really have to keep busy and think healthy. Eat healthy, take walks, keep your spirits up...all the things that you should be doing since you're pg anyway. And in no time the cravings seem to diminish. I still feel like there's this part of my life that's missing. When I get bored I just want to light up, but I just find something to do. I am just worried that after I deliver I'll want to start again.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #8
(female)

BEcca1978 HB User

I asked my doctor if it is okay to take "smoke away" while pregnant and she says NO. I then asked a pharmacist if it was safe and she said NO. Buy the patch or the gum, it is much safer for the baby. The pharmacist told me that there is something in the "smoke away" that acts like a hormone the body makes but I forget what hormone it is. It just ISN'T safe to take while pregnant. Good Luck!!!

Old 01-07-2005, 07:47 PM   #9
Veteran

Aunt-Bon HB User

I wish I could give you advice on how to quit especially being PG, but I did not quit when I was PG, I tried but it is so hard when your family and everyone around you smokes. I definately did cut down. I was smoking 2 packs a day when I found out I was PG. I then would maybe have 1 - 3 every other day. It is definately in your best intrest and the babies to quit.

Good luck I really hope you can do it.

Niamh Maire Rose
8/11/04
10LBS 6OZ
20.5 inches
8/11/04 via C-Section
10lbs 6 oz, 20 1/2 inches

Old 01-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I quit smoking almost six years ago. I wasn't pregnant or anything, I got dizzy smokign a cigarette and fell over four feet off the porch. ANyway that was the wake-up i needed, and i quit, just cold turkey. It wasn't easy, i will say that. But I think it was easier that way then it would have been to do the patch or the gum or something, because honestly the intial withdrawal was not that bad. I chewed up ALOT of pencils, and did a lot of pacing, i lost about 15 pounds just pacing bakc and forth, but that was what worked for me. Good Luck!

Old 01-07-2005, 09:41 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

The night my home pregnancy test read positive, I took 2 hits off of my boyfriends cigarette and then that was basically it for me. I was a smoker for 6 years and quit that night. When I was pregnant 2 years ago, I continued to smoke and ended up miscarrying. Who knows if it was due to smoking, since it can be caused by many things, but I will forever blame myself for it. Besides, smoking has been linked to miscarriages and SIDS, so I wasn't going to risk my baby's health the second time around. I'm 5 1/2 months pregnant now so of course I'm glad I quit. Honestly, it isn't that hard. I still crave them, sure, but I love my baby too!

I would advise you to quit, not cut down. I read that cutting down doesn't do much because you only compensate deeper and more frequent puffs off of your cigarettes, ect, and I just don't see how anything could be better then quitting all together.

Old 01-08-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
Inactive

off kilter HB User

Please Quit. I smoked with one of my son's and unlike his 8lb. brothers he was only 5lbs at term (40 weeks). I had a emergency c-section because he was in destress. I asked the Dr. when I saw her later what happen. She told me a hard truth, when she examined the placenta she said it was in lousy condition - most likely damaged by restricted blood flow from my smoking. She said she could pick out a smokers placenta everytime. Sometimes the baby can deal with it others like my baby couldn't. I had starved my baby of both oxygen and nutrition. he's almost 7 now. he still has not said his first word ,nor is he potty trained. he has a disabilty called Autism. While we do not know for sure what causes Autism, Children of nonsmokers also have Autism.. Whether he would have the areas of the brain affected less if I had not smoked I don't know. But I have to live with it never knowing if I caused or at least made his problems worse. If you want suggestions on how to quit smoking try picturing your baby smoking everytime you light up. Or think of me as I change my 65lb, 4ft. tall sons messy diapers everytime you want to light. I'm trying to give you a really strong visual to use. Good luck. please tell me if this helps you.

Old 01-08-2005, 01:03 PM   #13
(female)

amblessed2 HB User

I was a smoker for 13yrs. and quit 7 mos. ago. I used the Nicotine patch and it worked for me. You should discuss all "quitting smoking" techniques w/ your OB because when using the nicotine patch and gum it sends nicotine through the bloodstream. I wish you the best and good luck!

Old 01-08-2005, 09:41 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by off kilter
Please Quit. I smoked with one of my son's and unlike his 8lb. brothers he was only 5lbs at term (40 weeks). I had a emergency c-section because he was in destress. I asked the Dr. when I saw her later what happen. She told me a hard truth, when she examined the placenta she said it was in lousy condition - most likely damaged by restricted blood flow from my smoking. She said she could pick out a smokers placenta everytime. Sometimes the baby can deal with it others like my baby couldn't. I had starved my baby of both oxygen and nutrition. he's almost 7 now. he still has not said his first word ,nor is he potty trained. he has a disabilty called Autism. While we do not know for sure what causes Autism, Children of nonsmokers also have Autism.. Whether he would have the areas of the brain affected less if I had not smoked I don't know. But I have to live with it never knowing if I caused or at least made his problems worse. If you want suggestions on how to quit smoking try picturing your baby smoking everytime you light up. Or think of me as I change my 65lb, 4ft. tall sons messy diapers everytime you want to light. I'm trying to give you a really strong visual to use. Good luck. please tell me if this helps you.
Thank you for your story. Not only does it send a message to the women who are still smoking, it makes those of use who quit 10 times happier we did. It's hard to be one of the quitters, who constantly hears how smoking won't hurt anything.

Oh, and to who started this thread, yes make sure you ask your doctor before taking Smoke Away or any other quitting program. You are showing that you want to quit though which is great

Old 01-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

Off kilter, Thank you for sharing your story. So many of us have that "Won't happen to me" attitude. Stories like yours strike the fear in our hearts that give us the ambition to quit.
Thanks again,
Jenn

Closed Thread