It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

hiya322000 HB User
roundworm in pet and pregnancy

i just got back from a 2 weeks stay with my parents and just found out today that their puppy might possibly have roundworm. should i be concerned? i had an ultrasound and checkup yesterday and everything went great so i was wondering if i should be nervous or not. thanks for any responses.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
(female)

BEcca1978 HB User
Re: roundworm in pet and pregnancy

I don't really think there is any reason to be overly concerned. I would keep my eyes open for red spots on my skin and report ANYTHING unusual to my OBGYN. He/she will prescribe a topical medication that is safe for the baby if needed but unless you and the infected pet were REALLY close, I don't think oyu have anything to worry about. Good Luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
(female)

BEcca1978 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEcca1978
I don't really think there is any reason to be overly concerned. I would keep my eyes open for red spots on my skin and report ANYTHING unusual to my OBGYN. He/she will prescribe a topical medication that is safe for the baby if needed but unless you and the infected pet were REALLY close, I don't think oyu have anything to worry about. Good Luck!!
OOPS!!!!! I thought I read RINGWORM! Okay - disregard everything in my last post. lol! I am too tired right now. I would definately be talking to my OBGYN about this. Call as soon as possible, it can take them a long time to call you back sometimes.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

I doubt you have anything to worry about. If you came in contact with doggie waste and wasn't thorough about hand washing, I might be concerned. I had hookworm in my foot and it didn't get into my bloodstream or anything. It created little tunnels in my skin on my foot, which didn't grow very fast, and all the doctor did was prescribe a topical antibiotic cream and it went away. Just call your doctor if you are concerned. He can tell you what to look for.

Old 01-08-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

I would doubt you have anything to worry about, i work in the animal industry and we give out info on this kind of thing all the time, we generally say:

So long as you were hygenic and washed your hands after playing with the animal and did not allow it to get too close to your face and lick you should be fine, i would also advise that they worm the puppy each month for the first 6 months of its life and then every 3 months thereafter - especially if you are to be visiting. It is also an idea to keep up to date on flea treatment as fleas carry worms on their feet and then the animal can ingest them this way.

The other worm of concern is toxoplasmosis that you can pick up from cat litter trays - i will have to have a blood sample for this when i concieve as i clean them out every day, but i am very wary of this and wash my hands each time.

I hope this isnt too much information, and is of some help to you. Take care Sammie p

Last edited by sammieP; 01-08-2005 at 10:50 AM.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

Ringworm is a fungus (called tinea), not an actual worm infection. Just be on the lookout for anything unusal with your skin. You'll probably be OK. If something comes up, see a doctor right away for treatment, because tinea is communicable from animals to humans via direct contact. It mostly causes lesions on the skin, scalp and facial area.

Closed Thread