It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User
Is this Braxton Hicks or something else?

I am currently 24 weeks, and have been having a tightening sensation in my uterus for the last few days. It's not constant, maybe about 10 times a day, and sometimes feels uncomfortable. I would say it lasts for 10 seconds or so. Is it too early for Braxton Hicks, or can it be something else? The baby is moving like crazy now all day, so could it be from him moving so much?

Carrie

Old 01-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #2
(female)

Mary0114 HB User
Re: Is this Braxton Hicks or something else?

Could be just Braxton Hicks contractions, but please call your doctor. I don't want to alarm you, but it is possible it could be signs of premature labor coming on, especially if they start getting closer together. You want to make sure. Call the doctor now and let me know what is happening. I had tightenings that were dismissed by my doctors office as being muscle spasms. I knew they were wrong, but believed them anyway. I went into preterm labor at 20 weeks. Please insist on being seen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2005, 03:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi _

I second that - call your doctor even though it's Saturday night. Call now without delay. Better safe than sorry.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 01-09-2005, 06:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Thank you to those who responded..... i laid down last night, and timed them for the first tim, and it was only one per hour, so I did not call the doctor. I will call first thing Monday, and see him. Thank you for all of your concern......I think I may just be nervous!

Old 01-09-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi again,

Hope you don't regret your decision to delay calling the doctor. My doctor told me he could not take good care of me and my baby if I didn't tell him what was happening. I lost a baby because I didn't want to disturb the doctor at night. Please call today.

Barbara

Old 01-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #6
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

Please, dear, and I don't want to harp on you, but I wish you would call and at least speak to the on call physician. I wish you would do this. Please also, make sure you are well hydrated.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:33 AM   #7
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

Barbara, I know. It's so hard. And some doctors don't make women feel at ease enough with them to call when they think it's necessary. What happened to you? If you feel like talking, we can share our stories here, but maybe under a different section or something.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

I agree with everyone else. I personally think its too early for BH contractions and what you have been experiencing just may be signs of preterm labor. And trust me when I tell you (from experience) you DONT want to have a baby that has to stay in the hospital in the NICU. It is very very hard. You have to put your baby first. These doctors get paid big bucks to be disturbed at all hours of the day and night. That is what they are there for. Even if this is nothing....wouldnt you feel better knowing that you found out for sure?

Old 01-09-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

I called the doctor today, and he told me that it was very normal for the week that I was at, especially if you're a very active person. I feel much better, I only had 1 today. If I get any more, I will see the doctor tomorrow, or at least call, but I feel much better.

Old 01-09-2005, 02:23 PM   #10
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Hello its probably BH but either way its still a contraction and when they are consistant you have no way of knowing if they are harming you or not if you dont call the doctor. I would call .

Old 01-10-2005, 09:35 AM   #11
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

I still think it is important to be seen just to make sure the contractions didn't dialate the cervix at all. Mine were there, the next day I had none, and my cervix was open to 3 cm. There was no way to know this other than the doctor examining me.

Anyway, please keep your eyes open for any contractions that come on suddenly and become rhythmic, or closer together, any change in vaginal discharge (either in color or texture) or any menstrual like cramping (can be very mild) or lower back pain. I still wish you went in.

Closed Thread