It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2005, 06:14 PM   #1

Alleyne HB User
Birth Plans

I am going to write a Birth Plan. I was just wondering if anyone is deciding to write one as well... or has written one in the past.

Was your birth plan helpful?
Or did it cause some issues?
Obviously there are so many things that can happen to make you go off your birth plan... especially if you didn't cover something or tend to be inflexable... but did anyone feel bad about not being able to follow their birth plan?

There is still quite a bit for me to find out... I haven't toured the hospital that I plan to have my baby in yet, nor am I familiar with their procedures... so I may have to change my plan after the tour.

Perhaps I'll post my Birth plan when I am comfortable with it for some advice.

Last edited by Alleyne; 01-08-2005 at 06:17 PM.

Old 01-08-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Re: Birth Plans

I wrote one with my first pg. The doctor read it and seemed to acknowledge it. He put it in my file. I don't think they really cared. I asked for a mirror and it didn't happen. It's something to do with your first pg's but I can bet you won't do it with your second..hahaha When it happens its really spur of the moment and it's a do what you have to do situation. I couldn't talk so I was glad my husband and mother and sister were there. Only thing you need to have in bold letters is PAIN MEDICATION! hehehe Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 04:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: Birth Plans

I wrote a birth plan. When I got into my room one of the 1st things my nurse asked me was if I had a birth plan and I handed it right over. We went over it. Mine was pretty simple.

I think that the hospital I delievered at has a lot of women from the same clinics and it seems that most dcotors at them reccomended that women write a plan, so I don't know if my experience was normal..

Like Soulcatcher said, tell them about pain medication and what you want. I said I wanted to go natural as long as possible, then IV drugs, then epidural if needed...well, it was NEEDED LOL.

I also mentioned that I wanted to labor in a bathtub (which I knew they had), be able to walk around, have my husband cut the cord, no forceps, and newborn was to be placed on my chest after birth, but on top of a towel, not on my skin (funny that I was squeemish about that)

Having said all of that, half of it couldn't happen because I had a c-section after my labor didn't progress! But they did what they could. I did get my bathtub labor for a while, was able to walk before the epidural. Got the pain medication in the order I wanted.

Like you said, much can happen to change the plans, but I think it is a good idea to write it down and let the nurse and doc know from the beginning what you want!

Closed Thread