It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
(female)

Ange7a HB User
Question Oh dear!

This is my first time posting here. My name is Angela, and tonight I made the stick show 2 lines instead of 1! I'm really excited, but at the same time I'm scared. I'm 24, I have recently had problems with the guy I'm with (which seem to be better now, so I'm not particularly worried about that), and now am in a newly signed year long lease with a new roommate. Needless to say, this is scary timing!

I have a few medical concerns regarding my likely pregnancy. I have a chronic problem with ovarian cysts where basically every time I ovulate I get one. Because of this, my missed period didn't lead me to do a pregnancy test until now. That said, I have no idea how far along I am. I think I'm probably 1 month, but could be as far as 2 months.

I have anxiety disorder and have been taking Welbutrin (150 mg 2X daily). It seems to me that there's not a lot of information regarding the use of this during pregnancy. I already intend to dicontinue use of it because of the possible harmful effects, but is is possible that in the first 1-2 months it could have already created problems? Also, I very easily get a rapid heartbeat and elevated blood pressure at the smallest sign of stress, especially when I'm not on medication. How harmful will that be?

I have also been taking Clarinex 5mg once daily for the last 3 weeks. Is there a high risk with that?

In addition to those few things, I have had several occasions where I have been intoxicated. This being the end of the holiday season, I definately did get to celebrate some. I know that it really can take only one time drinking to have FAS happen, but does anyone have any statistics? I'm so afraid that I've already hurt my baby without knowing he was even there. At what point does the risk increase to the higher likelihood of harming my child?

I will say the timing of this is also very spooky because I have just recently stopped smoking and drinking caffeine (actually, I stopped with the caffeine about 2 months ago and the smoking, 1 month ago). Boy am I glad I already crossed that bridge because it would be so much harder now!!!

I'm going to try my best to get into the doctor's office in the morning. I'm sure this post here will be the first in a long series of questions I will have over the next several months, and I do thank whoever responds. Hope to hear back soon!

Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User
Re: Oh dear!

First of all, congratulations! I'm 23 and pregnant with my second. I'm 14 weeks along. I can't answer all of your questions, but as far as the anxiety, I too have had some problems with that. I am taking Paxil, and my ob assured me that it is perfectly safe. So you may be surprised that the Wellbutrin might be safe as well. However, get into a dr asap, and find out for sure. If it isn't considered safe, maybe they can switch you to something that is. And as far as the drinking, more than likely you are fine, and so is the baby. Usually, you don't even know you're pregnant for the first month or so, so I'm sure everything will work out fine. But ask the dr, they can give you reassurance. And again, congrats! Looking forward to having you on the boards!

Old 01-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

First of all, congrats!
Have you told your boyfriend yet? As far as the Wellbutrin issue, I would do more research on it. I know that there are several medications that could cause serious problems, but not quite sure which ones. I was on Lamictal (i am bi-polar) and this high blood pressure medication - both of which can cause fetal death. So as soon as I found out, that was it for me - not smart however to just up and STOP taking any medication. Sometimes, there are good substitutes that you doc can have you take without hurting the baby. The drinking thing.....I wouldnt worry too much about that either. Just dont drink anymore. With my first child, about 3 weeks before I found out I was pregnant, my husband and I went to his hotel for the weekend and were completely tore up drunk the whole time. At that time, I estimate I was probably about 6 weeks pregnant. My son is just fine.

Im glad you stopped the smoking thing, too. I know a lot of women who smoke during pregnancy and have kids that are okay. But I have seen the opposite too.

My suggestion.....get into the doctor asap. When you call to make the appointment, tell them that you could be 8 or 9 weeks possibly, as your periods are all out of wack. Start a list now, write down all concerns, especially all the ones you put in this post. Make sure you talk to your doctor about each and every concern (the serious medical ones anyway). For the easier stuff, these boards are great!

Drink lots of water....LOTS. And prepare for quite a ride!!

Keep us updated okay?

Old 01-09-2005, 08:08 PM   #4
(female)

hunnybun1504 HB User

congratulations angela! what a blessing...even though it wasnt planned, it seems that someone else upstairs had other plans for you! :-D i jut recently came to this board as well, and it has been soooo unbelievably helpful! i have noticed you placed responses to some of my other threads on the board, so you too are already being helpful! :-D i definitely think that you chose the right place to come and ask questions, everyone here is so supportive and helpful..anyways, congratulations on your BFP dear! the next nine months will be hard work...but so worth the wait :-)

Old 01-09-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
(female)

Ange7a HB User

hunnybun, if you are pregnant, then i think we're probably pretty much at the same cycle. that's kinda neat, i think! you ladies are all so amazingly nice. i just plugged in "pregnancy help forum" in google and this was the first thing that came up. i'm so glad! [removed] Anyway, thanks for the support and positive vibes. I did tell my boyfriend tonight. I really have no idea how he is reacting. Its weird--its like for both of us its not real. I think talking to a doctor tomorrow might make it a little more real for both of us. With all of the chronic cyst problems that I was having, I was almost convinced it was not possible to get pregnant. God knows we haven't always been careful! Its okay though, because I'm so happy about this and I really hope that the doc confirms it! =)

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 01-10-2005 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Personal contact information is not allowed on these boards. Please read and follow our rules. Thank you!

Old 01-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Hello and welcome to the boards and congrats on your pg. I would stop all meds until you talk to your doctor.Tell them you need in right away you dont know how far along you are. I did this (no periods ever) and they will give you a u/s to determine how far along you are. I have drank several times before knowing i was pg with all 4 of my pregnancies and there all fine. dont worry too much about that. keep us posted and good luck.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:30 AM   #7
(female)

Ange7a HB User

Well, I'm in today to see the doc. They are going to give me a blood test. The welbutrin cannot be just stopped altogether so I've begun to wean myself off it as of yesterday. I've stopped taking my allergy meds today. I think the one thing that really has me bumming (and the only thing) is that I have only one hobby right now and that is playing pool. I don't have my own pool table, so I have to go to the local pool hall to play. They allow smoking there =( Its ok, though, because I have a feeling the next 7-9 months are going to go very quickly. David (my bf) can go all he wants while I'm pregnant, but once our baby is born, he better give me some time out! Honestly, though, I'm thinking that I will probably be so captivated by our little one that I'm not going to want to walk away from him for even a second. I am so excited =)

Old 01-10-2005, 07:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Congratulations!!!! I'm so glad you got into the doctor right away. They should do an ultrasound to determine how far along you are and give you an Estimated Due Date (EDD). Like the other posters have said, don't worry about what's already been done. Most of the time, things work out and everything's fine. Your doctor will ask what meds you are taking and change them if necessary. There are surprisingly a number of meds you can take during pregnancy for all of the conditions you've mentioned.

BTW, the rules of this board state that no contact outside of this board is allowed, so you cannot post your e-mail address, AIM ID or any other contact info, just so yo know. It will probably be removed soon.

Good luck with your pregnancy!

Old 01-10-2005, 09:21 AM   #9

Jupiters008 HB User

hi!
Congratz on your pregnancy, I am also 24 and i have anxiety and panic disorder, i am only taking 12 mgs of zoloft ( i was afraid to take the higher dose ) --and i just went to the doc and he said it shouldnt be hard for me to stop it, but said to wait until my next appt, I have read where some anti depressant meds dont hurt the baby, my sister was on effexor and they took her off and actually gave her wellbutrin to take throughout her pregnancy, and her baby boy who is now 3 weeks old was 10 pounds and healthy as can be.
Let me know how your appt went!
Good Luck

Old 01-10-2005, 03:39 PM   #10
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

wondering what the doc said to you today? keep posted.thinking about ya

Old 01-10-2005, 04:03 PM   #11
(female)

BEcca1978 HB User

Just wanted to congratulate you. I don't know about the meds, but I do know alot of women take antidepressants while pregnant. I drank Daily before I found out I was pregnant. I will post more when I give birth and find out how that turned out. Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Old 01-10-2005, 06:19 PM   #12
(female)

curlyQ's HB User

hey congratulations on your pregnancy! i actually found out i was pregnant on 12/26 (and quite shocked!). I don't have advice from experience, but i just wanted you to know that i somewhat know what you're going through and share in your concerns.

I had been trying to closely monitor being pregnant and it backfired on me. i took a test on 12/18 which was negative (and my period was several days late already) so i presumed i was not pregnant b/c this has happened to me before and i felt fine. so between the time i took the 1st neg test and the 2nd pos test i was not "acting pregnant". i was drinking caffiene, attending holiday parties and i did drink, and i also take anti-convulsant medication which i've been on since a teenager. I'd like to kick myself b/c in prior months i was taking care of myself and trying to be precautious, and of course the one month i'm not, look what happens!

I am scared just like you that i might have done something unintentionally to harm the baby which i could never forgive myself for. I think i'm probably about 5 weeks, but i'm not sure, b/c my periods were irregular. My dr's office is so busy and i can't get in there right away, so I'm still waiting to go for my appointment. Anyway, all I can tell you is that I pray to God, take prenatal vitamins, try to get rest and eat right. People tell me that worrying is not going to help me or the baby. So, try to relax. I know it's a long time to wait to find out how things are going. I've found coming to this site really helps me even though i'm new here. People are very supportive. Good luck with your pregnancy!

Closed Thread