It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2005, 08:24 AM   #1
(female)

jellyrose HB User
Unhappy Bad ultrasound results today

undefinedundefinedundefinedThis morning I had my last ultrasound...at 34 weeks...I was going every 6 weeks for a growth scan of the baby being that I have a fibroid tumor. And today the doctor tells me that all of a sudden the babies leg and arm bone are measuring shorter than what they should be. He asked what my triple screening came back as..I told him that it was neg. He said that that is a sign for downs but being that my trip screen came back neg...there is just a very overwhelming chance of this happening. Does anyone know what the measurments should be for a baby of 34 weeks? Or where I can find information on this??? I am just really upset that just all of a sudden he is measuring shorter in his arms and legs. he tried to make me feel better by saying some babies have longer arms and legs then others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 08:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

jstpeachey79 HB User
Re: Bad ultrasound results today

I dont have any information for you but I wanted to say that I am thinking of you and hoping that everything is ok.
DD Born 8-13-04

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 09:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

First of all, u/s machines aren't perfect. My cousin was induced at 38 weeks since her baby was diagnosed with IUGR. For some reason, u/s showed he only weighed 5 lbs and they feared the placenta wasn't working. Her baby was born weighing a very healthy 7 lbs 7 ozs and 38 weeks!

Also, it seems like the triple screen being negative would be a good thing. Your odds of Downs would be very low.

And some babies DO have shorter limbs than others! Try not to worry. I know that's easier said than done, but worrying won't do you or baby any good at this point!
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 01-10-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
(female)

MommyOhio3 HB User

I would not worry either...he jumped to a big conclusion if you ask me to tell you something like that, specially when your blood work came back fine. US are very finicky you just cant tell everything...I think your baby is just fine. Goodluck and please keep us posted!!

Old 01-10-2005, 09:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

I don't know what the "normal" legnths are. As you have seen at the drs. they take their mouse. Click and drag the legnth of the bone and then enter it into the system. Their computer then tells them what week that part of the body is measuring at.

Like another poster said, that you tested negative is a good sign. It may be that your child has somewhat shorter limbs. But I know how stressful this can be. I tested positive for Downs with my little girl. They did an extensive ultrasound and said everything looks good, but I will have to wait until she's born to know for sure. I'm at 32 weeks. Try to think positively until then. That's all we can do

Old 01-10-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

My cousin Jamie had TERRIBLE results from her screening AND an U/S. BOTH said that she would be having a baby with DS or severely deformed. It turned out that the baby was COMPLETELY healthy. He is now 1 y/o and as healthy as a horse! Try not to worry--like the other poster said, it won't do any good, and isn't good for you and the baby right now. All of us will still be thinking of you, and feel free to post as often as you need to to vent!

Old 01-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
Veteran

Aunt-Bon HB User

My last 2 U/S showed the babies legs and arms short for her gestation. She came out perfect, she will be 5 months old tomorrow and as healthy as can be. When I saw on the U'S that they were measuring smaller I asked the technician and she said not to worry that that happens alot.

Good luck, I pray for a healthy and happy baby for you in a few weeks.
8/11/04 via C-Section
10lbs 6 oz, 20 1/2 inches

Old 01-10-2005, 04:35 PM   #8
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

do a google search and ask about it you shopuld get some info on it that way. My heart goes out to you. I pray you have a healthy baby. either way you will love him the same im sure. But I pray he/she is perfectly healthy.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:51 PM   #9
(female)

BEcca1978 HB User

My kids are half mexican and they have always been shorter than normal. My youngest daughter was born with the shortest legs I have ever seen! She looked like a turkey in a bassinet lol! I think alot of it has to do with your and the baby's father's genetics. NOT what the doctors have decided is "normal". I would be concerned but not over anxious or afraid. It could have even been a mistake made by the person doing the measurements. Don't worry too much.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:10 PM   #10
(female)

dm76 HB User

Hi, My niece was born full term and she was 16 inches and 4 pounds. She is perfectly fine and very, very smart. I don't know if this help but I found some info on how you baby should be developing at 34 weeks. Your baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds and is probably almost 18 inches long. Her fat layers — which she'll need to regulate her body temperature once she's born — are filling her out, making her rounder. Her central nervous system is still maturing and her lungs are well developed by now. If you've been nervous about going into preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that 99 percent of babies this age can survive outside the womb — and most have no major long-term problems related to prematurity.

Closed Thread