It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User
Unhappy I need energy!!! Is caffeine really that bad?

Hi,
I used to have a large English Toffee Expresso from Tim Hortons every morning I worked. I haven't had one in almost 7 weeks! I know they say to cut caffeine, and I have, other than the odd chocolate or chocolate milk here and there. I find that I just have no energy...I also noticed if I have to use my morning sickness pills before bed, that I wake up even more tired. I just want to know if it is really that bad for you/baby...I mean they really don't taste like coffee so I don't know how much caffeine is in there...but I can guarantee it's nothing like Starbucks would be. They are more like a flavoured hot chocolate. If I just have it once in awhile is it that bad? I know I had to 2 or 3 times when I was pregnant with Kierra because I had to travel long distances on my own during that pregnancy so there was 2 or 3 times I had to, just to stay alert while driving, and she was fine. What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: I need energy!!! Is caffeine really that bad?

My doctor said that 1 or 2 cups of caffeine a day isn't a big deal. I think he said that with upwards of about 9 a day there is a slight risk of low birthweight. Anyway, I used to have a cup of coffee every morning (until the morning sickness settled in), and when we were planning to get pregnant, he told me he's not concerned at all about 1-2 cups a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

That is so good to hear, because I have been craving one for so long. I still don't plan to drink them every day, just on occasion as a treat. Thankyou!

Old 01-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
(female)

MomInApril HB User

I am 25 weeks now, and a couple of months ago I asked my doctor about the headaches I was having. The first thing she asked was how much had I cut down on the caffeine? I told her I'd cut down a great deal, and that day in fact I'd had none at all. She said that it was likely I was having withdrawal and that it would not be harmful to have a can of pop and take a Tylenol (if still necessary after the pop). She made it out that caffeine really isn't that bad ... in moderation, of course. Since then I've had about a can of pop a day and everything with my pregnancy and baby are fine (thankfully). And I haven't had headaches as frequently.

I might not drink an espresso drink every day ... but I (personally) wouldn't cut it out completely, either.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
(female)

chrystina505 HB User

I used to drink at least 6 cokes a day. When I found out I was pg I quit drinking caffeine cold turkey. The past couple of days I have had non-stop headaches. I didn't even think about the withdrawl from caffeine causing them.

My friend is 6 mo pg and drinks a few RedBulls everyday. They are loaded with caffeine. The DR said a few caffeinated drinks a day wont be harmful to the baby.

Old 01-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
(female)

thomps11 HB User

Ohh another Timmy's fan.....

Sorry just had to relate as I used to go every morning before work.
The stuff is sooo good and reading about it makes me want one yum!

I think the Eng Toffee and the French Capp have less caffeine than a cup of coffee or tea. I still get the occasional hot chocolate too.

Everything is fine in moderation I have been told.

Good luck....
Timmy's is addictive I think the wifes tale that they put something in it could be true! LOL!

thomps11-- fellow Timmy's lover .

Old 01-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

Before pg, I drank 3 or 4 cans of Dr. Pepper a day. I've cut back to 1 or 2 occasionally. Usually I drink homemade sweet iced tea which is less caffienated and less dehydrating, and I can control the ammount of water sugar in it. Anyway, I have several glasses a day. It's fairly weak, but it keeps me from withdrawal headaches.

I've had two different doctors tell me even 1 or 2 drinks a day wouldn't harm the baby. The study that has everyone freaked out about caffeine says it increases the risk of miscarriage, but that is in woman who drank 7 cups of coffee a day or more. Those who drank less had the same rate as general population.
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 01-10-2005, 10:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

I was a caffine freak. But cut that out (Still drink soda....just caffiene free) when I found out I was pregnant...I only have a caffinated now if DH and I go out.

Doctor said I was being a bit excessive, but if it made me feel better all the more power to me

Old 01-10-2005, 10:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

I think that most things are okay in moderation (except drugs and alcohol of course). I talked to my doc about that as well, cause every once in a while, I get a craving for vanilla coke. For a long time I was sooooo scared to drink it. But he said it would be fine if I do so in moderation. So usually once a week, sometimes less, I have a small one or like a 20 oz bottle from the convenience store or something. I wouldnt worry too much.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:21 PM   #10
(female)

chelle4 HB User

i've recently been told that their is actually less concern about caffeine during preg. and more concern about when your nursing. now i wouldn't go out and drink 4 espresso's a day, but a little here and there probly shouldn't hurt.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:38 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Yaaaayyyy. I'm so happy, I am hoping for another zombie day now, so I have a good excuse to drink a small english toffee! LOL, seriously, I don't know if I will yet. I think I'd feel guilty if I did, or wonder what people will think of me drinking it if I am pregnant....I think I'll hold off for one of those days where I can't function without a bit of caffeine and then I may just cave in. But thankyou everyone for all your replies....you cheered me up, at least now I know there is light at the end of the tunnel if I do have one of those days again.
Take care.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:20 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

In the book they gave me at the dr. it said 300mg a day was acceptable. Which equals 6 sodas, now I dont' know if that is 12 oz or 20 oz but six sodas and I think 2 8oz cups of coffee, but you would have to look that up to be sure cause I didnt' pay that much attentionto the coffee, I was just happy to knwo I could drink a cherry coke and a half and not do any damage!

Old 01-11-2005, 06:22 AM   #13
(female)

astw22 HB User

Kierrasmommy

what I was doing while I was pregnant.. was having a cafe mocha on the weekend from Tim Hortons..just one mind you... I would get a medium.. its half hot chocolate and half coffee.. so in my head it was half the caffeine.. lol... before I was pregnant i religiously drank french vanilla's everyday...since I had my little girl.. i havent gone back to the french vanilla's as I am hooked on the cafe mocha's..

Most dr's will say that a cup or two a day of coffee/tea is not harmful.. If it becomes a problem I would discuss it with my dr.. maybe there is other ways to get your fix good luck..

p.s. despite the cafe mochas and the chocolate chocolate milk I drank.. my daughter turned out completely healthy and perfect.

Married DH - February 10, 2004
DD Avery Born - November 23, 2004

Old 01-11-2005, 07:29 AM   #14
(female)

redstarr987 HB User

Someone mentioned drinking Redbull. I keep wondering if it's ok to drink them but keep forgetting to bring it up to my doctor. I know a little caffeine won't hurt but what about all the other ingredients? I know that sometimes herbal or natural ingredients can be very harmful. Does anyone know? I LOVE RedBull and have been craving it like crazy.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:06 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

I have read on this board, and on several websites, that consuming caffeine, although it didn't say in what amounts, during pregnancy can cause, and has been linked to, late-miscarriages in pregnancy. A doctor may tell you that two-three drinks a day won't hurt, except I've heard women say that their doctor told them two-three cigarettes a day won't hurt either. What do I know though, since I'm not a doctor. Regardless, do you want the drink because of the taste and for routine purposes, or because you actually need the caffeine? If I remember correctly, you went from saying that you wanted it for the energy boost, to saying that the drink is basically a flavored hot chocolate. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be mean, I just want to know if it's simply buying a hot drink in the morning that you are addicted to Drinking something with caffeine in it simply for the taste or to warm you up can be avoided. Starbucks has flavored milk steamers which are great, not to mention, caffeine free. If it is truly the caffeine you are after, then keep in mind that caffeine only boosts your energy temporarily, then brings you down by afternoon/mid-day. If you want a boost, I'd go with sugar over caffeine. Try eating an orange in the morning with a cup of hot spice cider, or a yogurt bar with something decaffinated

Last edited by Frynd1; 01-11-2005 at 08:13 AM.

Closed Thread