It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

tareyna HB User
Re: Healthy Baby

Hi Im new to this can anyone give me advice? Im 30 and would like to have a baby soon.Im doing realy well with the depression and im looking to get of the meds. But not sure how? Or if I should. Im concerned about birth deffects with the baby. Can anyone help PLEASE

Last edited by Administrator; 01-10-2005 at 10:18 PM. Reason: To get a response, start a new post instead of adding to another's thread.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:19 PM   #2
Administrator
(female)

Administrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB User
Re: Healthy Baby

This post was split from another thread.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-10-2005 at 10:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
(female)

chelle4 HB User
Re: Question about depression drug during pregnancy

i pg right now and suffer from deppression. so my ob put me on Lexapro. she said it was one of the 2 approved for pg.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

Hello! I too, suffer from depression. I have gone off my meds for all of my pregnancies, including this one. With my first two PG, I didn't feel the need to be on them. My moods were good, just your normal mood swings off and on. With this PG, I am feeling more depressed; mainly due to MAJOR stresses in my life. My doc wants to try and wait until I am in my 3rd trimester (which is next month!) to put me on something. She suggested Zoloft. From what my doc said, they don't like to put pregnant women on a med unless they have such severe depression that you would end up hurting yourself or your baby. There haven't been as many studies done with anti-depressants and pregnancy, so they prefer to wait until you are far enough along in the PG (usually 2nd trimester) because the baby's major development is far enough along to where using the meds won't hurt the baby. This is what my doc has told me. I hope this helps! Good luck on whatever you decide!

Old 01-11-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

It's pretty funny how every doctor says something different. I'm 14 weeks and have been on Paxil since last April. My dr assured me that it won't hurt the baby, that it is perfectly safe. And with my first pregnancy, I was on Zoloft, and my daughter was perfectly fine. Hope this helps you!

Old 01-18-2005, 06:32 PM   #6
(female)

tareyna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerfan4ever
Hello! I too, suffer from depression. I have gone off my meds for all of my pregnancies, including this one. With my first two PG, I didn't feel the need to be on them. My moods were good, just your normal mood swings off and on. With this PG, I am feeling more depressed; mainly due to MAJOR stresses in my life. My doc wants to try and wait until I am in my 3rd trimester (which is next month!) to put me on something. She suggested Zoloft. From what my doc said, they don't like to put pregnant women on a med unless they have such severe depression that you would end up hurting yourself or your baby. There haven't been as many studies done with anti-depressants and pregnancy, so they prefer to wait until you are far enough along in the PG (usually 2nd trimester) because the baby's major development is far enough along to where using the meds won't hurt the baby. This is what my doc has told me. I hope this helps! Good luck on whatever you decide!
Hi again I was just wondering if you could tell me how your doctor took you off your meds i've tryed bu havn;t had any luck just ended up feeling worse than before I was even put on the meds?

Old 01-18-2005, 06:34 PM   #7
(female)

tareyna HB User

packerfan4ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by tareyna
Hi again I was just wondering if you could tell me how your doctor took you off your meds i've tryed bu havn;t had any luck just ended up feeling worse than before I was even put on the meds?

Old 01-18-2005, 08:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

What are you taking now? There are several meds that ARE okay during pregnancy. Lexipro is one of them, as are prozac and zoloft. Those are the 3 I am certain of, but I am sure there are more. I had the same concern, but I talked to my OB just last week, as I am feeling very depressed these days. I was on Lamictal for bipolar disorder before becoming pregnant, but the risks are much too high on Lamictal during pregnancy.

Another bit of advice.....I do not recommend just stopping taking your meds. Only do it under the supervision of your doctor. There are a few meds out there that have been shown to have very bad effects when stopping cold. Please be safe.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

I agree, every doctor has something different to say, and mostly because I think they need to cover their butts in case of any problems. I took paxil for years and when I found out I was preg. I quit cold turkey, which was terrible, but it was at the advise of the doctor. He said that there was no solid info about whether it was harmful or not, so i decided to not take the chance. But i now of other doctors that said certain drugs were okay. Hope this helps!

Old 01-19-2005, 01:11 PM   #10

busybee HB User

The only thing I've ever heard with taking anti-dep. while preg. is that studeis have shown lower birth rates- so doctors ar pretty confidnet that it's safe. Do waht your dr. advises.

Closed Thread