It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
Inactive

Regina21 HB User
Unhappy It WASN'T just a POP after all....

Well ladies, it's close to midnight and I just got home from the hospital. I was there for a good 6 hours. I explained in my previous thread that i felt a pop at work today and thought maybe it was just the baby kicking a nerve...WRONG. I came home and after my fiance got home from work I was talking to my mom and telling her about how I had felt the pop and right away instead of her usual "oh well that's normal"....she shocked me when she said "mija that doesn't sound right...." Now I got upset because of course that wasn't the answer I wanted to hear! Out of no where she asked me when the last time was I felt the baby move and honestly I couldn't remember. I mean, I dont' know what a move is...this is my first pregnancy and how do I know what a move is from gas??? Anyway, I ended up getting upset and asked my fiance to go and get me some chocolate thinking that would stir up some kicking in my little buddy. He ended up calling his mom and she told me to get over to the hospital as soon as possible. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Well we ended up going up to the OB triage and waiting for what seemed forever until they had an avaliable bed. They put a "monitor type" thing on my belly to monitor if the baby had any movement...well about a couple minutes later maybe about 45 the nurse came in and told me that i was indeed having contractions. I of course looked at her like she had lost her mind because I will be 25 weeks as of tomorrow. I was expecting to go over there and hear the heartbeat, be told everything was okay and come home...NOW I WAS HAVING CONTRACTIONS?? The "tightening" i was having in my stomach was actually contractions all along...I HOWEVER mistook them for movements...him just being the active lil squirmy guy. So they monitored me more and eventually gave me a shot of Terbutaline...it increases your heart heart and makes you jittery; causes you to shake, but with the IV they put it was supposed to slow the contractions down. Bout 2 hours went by and they informed me that if the contractions didnt slow down they would have to admit me and keep me under observation. They ended up doing a SVE to make sure I had no bladder infections or anything of that sort that would probably cause this; everything came back negative. They sent a swab from my cervix i believe down to the lab as well to make sure I wasn't at risk for going into labor in the next 2 weeks. Well finally everything came back pretty okay. My contractions actually slowed down to where the Dr. on call said it was okay for me to come home, but tomorrow I have to do a follow up with my Dr to see what he suggests if anything.

I don't think i've ever been so scared in my life. The fact that something just didnt' sit well in my stomach is so weird. Like an instinct you feel....it's a voice telling you "go get checked, something is wrong" and I'm so glad I did cuz god forbid I could have had my son here way before it was his time. The only downside is that for every little twitch i know i'm going to get paranoid. I thought this last "pop" was normal...turns out it wasn't so now for every little thing i'm afraid i'm gonna be living at the hospital for the next 3 months. Anyhow i'm just glad that everything turned out okay. I'm still a little shaky from the shot they gave me, but that of course is normal. Just thought I would come on and make you aware of my situation in case any other lady god forbid has that same "pop/kick" feeling. Don't take it with a grain of salt and think it's okay...because it just might not be. I no longer care what people think as far as the employees at the Dr.'s office or hospitals. My whole reason for not wanting to go was because I was afraid they were gonna laugh at me and think I was being a worry wart. Some paranoid freak. But now I really don't care anymore because i've realized what my childs health means to me. Thanks though ladies for all your info and support!

Last edited by Regina21; 01-10-2005 at 11:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User
Re: It WASN'T just a POP after all....

Wow I'm so glad you went and got checked out! How many times during pregnancy can you put strange things down to just being "normal" I know I have loads of times! I hope everything settles down for you now and you have a healthy and happy rest of baby making

Old 01-11-2005, 06:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I'm glad you went in and got checked out and that everything's okay now. That's scary.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:51 AM   #4
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Im soooo happy you went and got checked out. IOm glad things for you and baby are fine. Believe it or not there alot of us right now dure when yuo are having the same things happen to them must be in the air. I know the Terbutaline sucks Ive had it before I told the doctor 2 weeks ago I want a RX for it (pill form) to take homw and I got it now when I start having alot of contractions I can take one and know im ok and Not have to go to the er.You need to ask about it.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:55 AM   #5
Inactive

Regina21 HB User

Thanks ladies, for all your well wishes. It really means alot! I made an appt. just right now and have it in about 2 hours at my Dr.'s. I don't think i've ever been so scared in my life. The little guy isn't in my arms yet and I already don't know what i'd do without him. I will keep you updated and let you know how my Dr. Appointment turns out. Thanks again ladies.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
Veteran

Bella535 HB User

Regina I happen to have gone through the same thing but I felt the baby kicking all along. I went to my doc yesterday because I woke up with a stomach that was hard as a rock and a back that was on flames. They also monitered me and told me that I was having contractions but he didnt give me any shot or anything cuz i am still completely closed. Regina are you still closed? Anyway, he told me that if it continues I should come back and he causually mentioned that I might go into preterm labor!!!!! I'm only 28 weeks! He didnt really suggest me do anything besides for drink alot. what were you told to do?

Old 01-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #7
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

You are so lucky. That's why I always recommend going to the doctor whenever there are tightenings in the uterus so early. It is sometimes preterm labor and your instincts are usually right. Are you going on bedrest or what are they having you do? Are you on medication to stop the contractions?

Old 01-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #8
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

I am praying for you.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #9
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

And, Bella, in all honesty, since the doctor dismissed this once as being normal and then since now they aren't giving you any instructions, I would find a different doctor to take you through this pregnancy. I've had my share of dismissive doctors and frankly, I don't recommend staying with him.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:13 AM   #10
Inactive

Regina21 HB User

Well i just got back from my Dr. and he advised me to take the rest of this week to rest...that means NO WORK!! What a shame (haha*)! No but i need to keep myself healthy for not only me but for my baby. He said that the contractions he's sure were caused due to me being dehydrated. I thought I was doing good about keeping hydrated, but I guess I need to drink 2 gallons it seems like! I mean, i'm always in the bathroom as it is....water just goes through me like a faucet.

Las night when they gave me the shot and the IV last night I was fine, so being that the IV helped me out he determined that dehydration was probably the factor. He checked my cervix and everything looks good. Now for the next 3 months, I have to monitor this little guy...after eating a meal he wants me to lay on my side and the baby should kick at least 4 times or have some type of movement within that hour of eating...if not, then here we go to the hospital because something just might not be right. Sexual activity is also out of the question until next months appointment being that it could stir a contraction....(don't think my fiance was a big fan of hearing that lol). Anyway, thanks for all your well wishes and prayers. I continue to hope and pray that everything will be okay. I'm trying to put it in Gods hands...REALLY trying to stay positive, but when you have scare like that it's only normal to worry I guess. Thanks ladies, hope your pregnancies go smoothly from here on out.

Closed Thread