It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 07:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User
Condoms while pg?

I am 22 weeks pregnant and for the past 2 weeks, my boyfriend and I have been using condoms. I have been making him wear one because I thought that if we used protection, then his sperm couldn't soften my cervix, reducing the risks of sex during pregnancy. Am I wasting my time with this, or can using protection actually reduce the risks of sex? Either way, I was wondering if they are even safe to be using, since most of them come lubricated, flavored or with spermicide. We have been using the lubricated and flavored ones, sorry if TMI

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: Condoms while pg?

Did your doctor recommend not having sex or express a concern about your cervix? If not, I wouldn't bother with the condoms. If so, you need to ask your doctor if it's okay to have sex at all, even with condoms. It's not so much the sperm that is the concern, it's the mild contractions that you experience when you have an orgasm. They typicaly are harmless and do not cause your cervix to open or any other problems, but sometimes they recommend not having sex in late pregnancy when your cervix starts to soften and dialate. I would check with your doctor about the condoms, specifically the lubricant and flavor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
(female)

fouradss HB User

While I was prego, we enjoyed sex without a condom the whole time. It is the only time that we can do that and not worry about getting pregnant! As long as your dr doesn't have a problem with it..... ENJOY! You'll find as you near the end your to uncomfortable to enjoy it as much. I found myself having sex only in hopes that it would bring the baby sooner! (GRIN) It worked. LOL

Good luck and have fun

Old 01-11-2005, 08:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

My doctor never told me that I couldn't have sex. I suppose I thought I was simply being on the safe side. When are you suppose to stop having sex?

Old 01-11-2005, 08:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

You don't ever have to stop having sex while you're pregnant unless your doctor tells you too. Many women have more sex right when they are due to try and get the baby to come!! Your sex will only be restricted AFTER you have they baby. And your doctor will talk to you about that later. It's usually 4-6 weeks without.

Old 01-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

If your doctor didn't say not to have sex, then there's no concern about "risks" of sex during pregnancy. They only advise women who are proned to preterm labor or who are having problems not to have sex, not because of the sperm but because of the orgasm and mild contractions you have along with orgasm. There is no need to bother with condoms.

Closed Thread