It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
Pain Medications for Labor - Advice Please

As my due date soon approaches, I've been putting much thought into my labor. My ultimate goal is to deliver my child naturally but I am also remaining open to the use of any pain medication if necessary.

I wanted to check with some of the other woman who have delivered using pain med's (epidurals, spinals, demerol, stadol, nubain etc.) and see how you're experiences were and if you'd recommend any.

thank you ladies.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:06 AM   #2
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User
Re: Pain Medications for Labor - Advice Please

Well of course most people will say the epidural its great to have but if you get it you cant move the bottom halv of your body so you will be restricted to the bed and have a cathater. which sucks but your pain free I have have pain and soreness in my back for a few months afterwards which is normal. Also the epidural is VERY painful to get.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User

Thank you again for your reply. Have you heard about a walking epidural which is said to eliminate pain but still leaves feeling in your legs so your able to move around freely?

Old 01-11-2005, 08:39 AM   #4
(female)

astw22 HB User

mommaboyz - did they numb you first before they gave you the epidural?? bc they did for me and it was not painful at all to get the epidural..Micheybell I dont know too much about the walking epidural.. i went with no pain meds until 8cms..after that I couldnt take it anymore..even though u are frozen from the waste down and have to have a catheter inserted.. they insert the catheter once the epidural is working so u dont feel it at all.. plus depending on how far you are in your labour you wont feel like walking.. at least at 8cms for me I didnt feel like walking anywhere.. good of you those to research your options now.. good luck..

Married DH - February 10, 2004
DD Avery Born - November 23, 2004

Old 01-11-2005, 08:57 AM   #5
(female)

chelle4 HB User

i have to have epidurials with mine if i make it in time, because general anesthesia is highly toxic to me. So if any emergency happens the epidural has to be in place. i've never experienced any pain with getting it, but they always numbed me first, and your usually in a lot of pain anyway. the catheter was a none issue because i was numb. As for being able to get up and walk afterwards, well i'm up quicker than most, some of it is just will power afterwards. for me the only real down side is you get cold.

as for other pain meds like demerol, i always opted out of those because i didn't want to be loopy .

Old 01-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

I have to say that my epidural didn't hurt at all when they put it in. OK, a tiny little pinch when the needle went in. I think they usually numb the area 1st. But I was also in so much labor pain at that point, I think being hit by a truck would have hurt less. I also had demerol before I got the epidural. It made me totally out of it. It did help with the pain for about 30 minutes. Then when the pain came back I asked for more. They gave it to me and it didn't do a lick of good. I'd rather just take the epidural. Yes, your lower half is numb, but your brain isn't!!!

Old 01-11-2005, 09:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

With my first, they gave me stadol, which did absolutely nothing for me. I swore at one point it was actually making the pain worse. But the nurses didn't act like they believed me. Whatever! But this time around I am opting not to have stadol...

Old 01-11-2005, 11:15 AM   #8
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Ive heard of the walking epidural but dont kow anythjing about it. Im going to ask my doctor next time I go in maybe it wilo be a good option for me. As for the numbing meds I cant really remember. But I remember its the only time ive cried during labor it hurt so bad im thiunking of no meds this time.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I wouldn't recommend stadol or any other IV painkillers. I still felt all the pain, but I was high, so I just got really cranky and out of control feeling. I even was "seeing things" everytime I closed my eyes, so forget sleep!!!

I had an epidural, and I got a local numbing med before they put it in. It didn't hurt much at all going in compared to the pain of contractions. It was more like an initial "pinch" and uncomfortable pressure. It starts working IMMEDIATELY. I was so relieved.

I actually dilated really quickly after my epidural. I got it at 3 cms, my son was born 4 hours later. Total labor was 7 hours.
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 01-11-2005 at 11:35 AM.

Old 01-11-2005, 02:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I was dialated to 7cm by the time I got to the hospital, so most of my labor was without meds. I could not have gone natural to the end, I was in so much pain. Since I was so far along already, when I asked for meds, they gave me Demerol at first, which made me feel worse. It didn't even touch the pain AT ALL and made me feel loopy, like my head was detached, but I felt all of the pain at the same intensity, just with dizzyness and light-headedness on top of it. The finally gave me an epidural, which was a lifesaver. I didn't feel a thing when it went in. I also didn't know what it was since I have such a weak stomach and could not watch the videos during my childbirth classes. My contractions were 30 seconds apart at that point and the anesthesiologist told me not to move. I was so busy concentrating on not moving that I didn't feel anything. With the epidural, I still felt the contractions, but it took the edge off of the pain. I was able to walk afterwards and didn't have any residual effects of the epidural. I am definitely skipping the Demerol and opting for the epidural this time around.

Closed Thread