It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 02:23 PM   #1

busybee HB User
bodywave (perm) while pregnant?

I am planning on getting a perm next week - I'm 14.5 weeks- and I have asked my nurse who said it was okay and my hairdresser said it was okay- but I'm still pondering the safety of it. Any advice?

Old 01-15-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User
Re: bodywave (perm) while pregnant?

I've always heard to never get a perm or dye ur hair during pregnancy the chemicals in the solutions can be dangerous...they can be absorbed thru your scalp and get into your bloodstream and cause harm to your baby. Also, you might get a surprise on how it turns out. I think I would ask my ob/gyn before I made a decision. Do you think you'd be able to hack the smell of the perm solution anyhow? Its your decision either way, but I would probably opt till after I had the baby just so you wouldn't be risking anything...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
(female)

Kimberly HB User

I agree, definitely give your doctor a call. I've heard that hair dyes and perms are dangerous for the baby. I remember watching A Baby Story on TLC one time and a very pregnant mother (about to give birth) was getting pampered and they only highlighted her hair because full hair dye and perms are too dangerous. Better to be safe!

Old 01-15-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

You may find that your hair is different and takes a perm/color differently during pregnancy. Just be prepared that it might not turn out like you had hoped due to the pregnancy. My doctor says it's okay and that you would have to leave the chemicals on your hair for longer than 24 hours, and even then, there is only a slightly increased risk. If your doctor says it's okay, you might want to go for it, but may want to consider other alternatives since it may or may not coe out like it would pre-pregnancy.

Old 01-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #5

babyfever HB User

I live next to a hair dresser (who just graduated last year, so she's up to date) and although it isn't safe to color, perm or chemically treat your hair in any way in the first trimester. You can do so while pregnant. Although, she does NOT recommend it. She did not with either of her children, only trims. Not only are you more sensitive to the smells because of the baby, it is unknown if it goes through your scalp and such, as others have already stated.

So if I were you and you wanted to be safe, I'd skip the perm/body wave until after you have the baby. Not only might it make you very ill feeling, it might also affect the baby in some way.

Old 01-15-2005, 07:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

The only risk of getting your hair dyed or a perm is from the fumes, there are many doctors that will tell you NO and some tell you it is fine as long as it is in a well ventalated area. Discuss it with your doctor. But I just had my hair dyed and gave a perm to a friend. My doctor gave me the go ahead and the baby is healthy.

Old 01-15-2005, 07:22 PM   #7
(female)

tomatoes49 HB User

dont get a perm !!
i did it my first pregnancy and it completely ruined my hair
i have had them before and they were always fine
but pregnant
it just reacted funny
dont do it
just wait till after

Old 01-16-2005, 08:31 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

i read in my baby books that you are not to chemically treat your hair during pregnancy. The chemicals sink into your scalp and can harm the baby. i also read that when you are pregnant you r hair does not react the same way as it would before to chemical treatments. so even if you did get a perm you hair may end uop really flat and burnt , instead of bouncy or shiney as maybe it have been before pregnancy.

Old 01-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

It is a bad idea to get a perm while you are pregnant, it won't look the way you expect, most likely. My cousin put a perm in her hair the day of her wedding, she was pregnant, and she ended up looking like one of the charcters from Fraggle rock! it was awful! And it took a really really long time for it to grow out too!

Old 01-17-2005, 10:55 AM   #10
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

I am a hairdresser and have been one for almost 4 years, so I'm up to date. Everyone is correct saying that hair reacts differently when you are pregnant because of the hormones. Getting any kind of chemical service while pregnant is risky, because there aren't any completely conclusive tests that it is 100% safe for the baby. Plus you never know how your hair will react. Highlighting/lowlighting is safer only because it is an off the scalp procedure. I recommend that my clients don't perm or color during pregnancy, and if they insist I make sure they are fully aware that there is a risk that it may not take, or it may fry the hair.

Every doctor is different. Some will tell you it is perfectly safe, some will tell you to wait until you have the baby. It is your personal decision, just please take into consideration all the risks before doing it.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

I get perms from time to time to keep my already curly hair in tact and bouncy. I got one after I conceived my son, without knowing I was pregnant. I had to of been somewhere between 2-4 weeks when I had it done and it turned out fine. In fact, I even got mine done at a Wal-Mart supercenter because I go to college out in the middle of nowhere and was low on options. Once I found out I was pg though, I made the decision to wait to get another one until after I have my son. As far as it possibly harming the baby, doctors tell pregnant women not to smoke because it's harmful and they still do. I think a perm would be okay, but I myself wouldn't do it.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
(female)

fouradss HB User

My doctor had told me that anytime after 12 weeks was okay. I decided to go ahead with the perm. It turned out better than it did before I was pregnant. My MIL is my hair dresser, and she used a mild perm, so the fumes werent bad at all. Everones opinions are different. So go with what your comfortable with.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:00 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

I agree with fouradss--do what you think is FOR YOU. I had a perm in the beginning of this pregnancy, (around 10 wks. and am 25 now) and a color, highlighting....LOL! EVERYTHING! They all turned out fine. I would suggest going to someone you know and trust to do it, IN CASE it doesn't turn out the way you want it. I have also had perms done with my other pregnancies, NO harm done to my dd's. But then again, maybe that is why they are moody--due to all the chemicals? Just joking!

Old 01-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

I have heard it is okay to do it....However, with all the raging hormones and all the weird stuff your body is going through, your hair may not take, or it may take too well. I would suggest waiting a while, personally.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:34 PM   #15
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

I would wait. Your hair can wait. There is no sense in taking a risk. The hairdresser may tell you it's safe, but if you have any doubts, just wait. It's only a few months. jUst in passing, I spoke to a woman who lost a baby at 11 weeks. Just 2 weeks before, she got her hair colored, despite the fact that she knew there were some risks tied to the chemicals. She said since everyone else was doing it and they were fine that it was probably okay. There is no proof that this is what caused her miscarriage, but there is a chance and she will never know. Remember, your skin is porous and you will absorb those chemicals. Don't do it if there is a risk.

Closed Thread