It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
(female)

Kimberly HB User
C-Section - Does it go by quickly?

The majority of pregnancy books I've read and online news articles say that your baby is generally out in 10-15 minutes after the first incision is made. After the baby is out, it's about an hour to stich the mom up.

Just curious for women who have already been through this, does the time seem to take forever? Or do you really notice? I guess the one thing bothering me a little will be laying there knowing what they are doing and waiting through it. I know you just feel pressure and not pain but I was just curious.

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

HopingChris HB User
Re: C-Section - Does it go by quickly?

I have had 3 c-sections & yes it goes by very quickly. The baby takes about 15 minutes to get out then after that I really couldn't tell ya cause it flew by so fast. I think I actually fell asleep while they were sowing me back up. I slept in the recovery room too. The nurse had to wake me up each time, then they just take you on to your room & bring you your baby. I have been awake for 2 of them & asleep for the 3rd. When you are awake you do feel pressure from them pulling the baby out but that's about it. Not so scary at all. I will be having my 4th 8-1-05, I will be put to sleep again. I didn't do so good with the epidurals, my spine is a little messed up. Either way is fine. Don't be scared.

Good luck!
Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
(female)

Juliennes HB User

I just went through my second c-section earlier this month...
I really didn't notice the time so much and I was pretty anxious!!
Actually it seemed to go pretty quickly from incision to baby being out. This time though after I saw the baby and they took him off to the nursery they gave me something so that I would sleep for a little bit while they sewed me up which was great! I did not get that the first c-section and I definitely recommend it. It does get a little tedious lying there being put back together, but in all honesty I don't think it took as long as an hour.

Old 01-31-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
Veteran

Aunt-Bon HB User

It only took about 15 minutes to get the baby out and then about an hour to sew me up, but it seemed to take forever. I think it was because I was so anxious and nervous. It took us along time to conceive so I was worried that something would go wrong, and when they started to stitch me up the epidural was wearing off so I was able to feel them stitching me up. I did not go to a seperate recovery room, they brought me straight back to the room you are going to be staying in to recover, after alittle while they bring the baby in. I did'nt want to scare you or make you nervous but that was my expierience not everyone is the same.
8/11/04 via C-Section
10lbs 6 oz, 20 1/2 inches

Old 01-31-2005, 07:40 PM   #5
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

I had twins and had the first vaginal so an hour later I went to get the second twin c-section. It didn't take long and I did ask them to turn the country music off. haha I was more concerned asking my husband if I was bleeding alot. I wanted to know because I find it fascinating what they do. I know I didn't fall asleep, I was just kinda bored. I waited in the recovery room and that seemed to take forever because you shake while the epideral is wearing off. I remember being totally coherant and asking where my one daughter was and who was with her and asking where my other daughter was and what was wrong with her. I asked for someone to go get my best friend so I had someone to talk to while I was shaking like a wet dog. I think the worst part was healing. I used those maxi pads from the hospital that you break and they have ice in them. I put those on the incision. It goes by quick and the best part besides the baby is that you have the scar forever, kinda like a battle wound. I am pretty proud of mine what you can see of it because that is where one of my beautiful daughters came from and I will always have that memory there. I actually showed her the scar the other day and she was pretty amazed. haha Good luck and don't bother to worry because it all happens anyway.

Old 01-31-2005, 08:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I never had a c-section myself, but when my friend's last son was born she ended up having to have one, and from the time they told her and the time he was out, it was about 10 minutes, she said all she remebered was they shaved her, and she couldn't move her arms, lol. And then there was the baby. She was back in the room in less than an hour though.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

I think it only took them about 30 minutes to sew me back up. They usually do stitches on the inside and staples on the outside. Maybe the staples are why it didn't take as long.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:11 AM   #8
(female)

LISA26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly
The majority of pregnancy books I've read and online news articles say that your baby is generally out in 10-15 minutes after the first incision is made. After the baby is out, it's about an hour to stich the mom up.

Just curious for women who have already been through this, does the time seem to take forever? Or do you really notice? I guess the one thing bothering me a little will be laying there knowing what they are doing and waiting through it. I know you just feel pressure and not pain but I was just curious.

Thanks!
Everyones experience is different-- keep that in mind. Not to scare you...but my experience was horrible-- a nightmare... I went in there thinking that it was going to be just fine and I would have my baby in like 30 min. Well... it did not turn out that way.

I got an epidural... my whole left side was in extreme pain and then went numb. They said it should have only been a 30 min. procedure...it turned into over an hour procedure. Not to mention I felt pain almost through the entire surgery-I can't even remember some of it...I was blacking in and out I think-- they didn't believe me--- they just kept feeding me meds through IV...but it was not working.... they can not guarantee that the medication will take effect like it is supposed to---they just take a chance and hope that it will.

I was in recovery for 4 hours. I had a reaction to the pain meds and then they gave me benegryl...then my tongue swelled. I was terrified and by myself. It really freaked me out being awake through the surgery.

Alot of people that I have talked to though have said their experience was great....so don't worry. You might be one of those people.
To top it off...they had about 15-20 college students lining the wall to observe and they didnt even ask me first... so that was not very pleasant.
Good Luck

Old 02-02-2005, 11:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User

Kimberly, I had a c-section and yes it did go by quickly. The baby was out w/in minutes and the remainder of the operation remains a fog to me. I labored for hours (w/out any medication) before the dr. decided on a c-section. So I was quite out of it. After the baby came out and I knew she was fine, I fell asleep. By that time you may be very tired.

I was so nervous about having to go for a c-section and honestly it was not that bad. Don't worry about it. It was better than the pain of labor and pushing. At least that's my opinion.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #10
(female)

Kimberly HB User

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I saw my doctor yesterday and baby is doing great. My c-section will be May 2nd or 9th. The hospital will call me with a confirmation date. I'm getting anxious, a little nervous but anxious. A few girls at work have been talking to me about their c-sections and they were both pretty positive. I had a horrible time with my daughter and tore really bad so the doctor thinks this is the best way to go (I do too).

Are the staples really icky to look at and do they hurt coming out? I heard you start to itch first as a sign it's healing and that it's just like a little pinch coming out. Like that pain is the stuff I need to worry about right? lol. I'm just trying to prep my mind for everything. I'm not sure if the hospital gives epidurals or spinals, that's something I want to check on as well.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:40 PM   #11
(female)

Juliennes HB User

I had staples the first time and they did not hurt at all coming out! If I remember correctly they were removed before I even left the hospital and it was very quick!

Old 02-03-2005, 04:07 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

I couldn't even see my staples as you still have quite a belly even after having that baby. Plus I didn't want to see them anyway. Most women say it doesn't hurt to get the staples out...but mine were kinda uncomfotable! Yes, it's was like a pinching, but a couple didn't want to come out...I think that's why it hurt. Mine were removed the morning before I left the hospital.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:30 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

HopingChris HB User

The staples did not hurt coming out for me but the little pieces of tape they put on you (after they take the stables out) hurts when they rip them off so if I were you take them off at home before you go back to the doc. I learned that the 1st time around. I have had 3 c-sections (going for my 4th). Also a good piece of advice is shave yourself 1st. If the nurses do it, they can be a bit painful about it pulling your belly. I always shave the morning I go in so the nurses don't have to & I am sure they are glad too...lol.

Good Luck!
Chris

Old 02-03-2005, 09:31 AM   #14
(female)

Kimberly HB User

Thanks for the tip about shaving I'm definitely going to make sure I do that on my own first. I'm sure the nurses will appreciate it too! Did you ladies find you were able to hold your baby after getting out of recovery and stuff? When I tore with my daughter the fist time I got really depressed because I couldn't get out of bed easily and felt completely useless. I know I went through a lot but it was hard to handle. I think my expectations were just a little high. Plus the lady sharing a room with me had baby #3 and was up changing her daughter, singing to her and I was laying in bed not able to do anything. I know I'll need to take it easy after my c-section. Just hoping walking will be a bit easier this time (still hard I imagine) but that I will be able to hold my little guy.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm getting anxious for my day to come!

Old 02-03-2005, 09:36 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Well, at my hospital you don't have to share a room. And the baby stays in the room with you the entire time. I was able to hold him as soon as they were done stitching me up and got me back into my room

Closed Thread