It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Unhappy Baby measuring 3 weeks behind

I am 28 weeks and my baby is measuring at 25 weeks. At my last appointment, she was measuring 2 1/2 weeks behind, but before that she was right on track. I gained 10 lbs last month and 8 lbs this month, so I'm gaining weight (a little too much weight) and eating healthy. Has this happened to anyone else? I have an ultrasound scheduled for Monday, but I'm freaking out and need some info on what could be the problem.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:08 PM   #2

Alleyne HB User
Re: Baby measuring 3 weeks behind

Hope that it is all good news on Monday!!!

Honestly I can't wait until my next appt. on Feb. 21st to check my measurements... it still plays on my mind no matter how much I try not to think about it. There are some times I swear that I have woken up with a smaller tummy.

Baby still active? How was her heart rate?

Do babys slow down sometimes then catch up in the last months perhaps?

Please update us after your appointment!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

jmcummins..... sweetie, that is EXACTLY what my little stinker was doing. She is still 'behind', but in all actuality and liklihood, its really not gonna be a huge deal. At this point in pregnancy, their growth will sometimes slow down, then spurt right back up - just like a kid on the outside. When I started having my little issues a couple weeks ago, my little one was about 3 or 4 weeks off (even though before that she was right on track). Now, it looks like she is maybe a week or 2 off still. She's catching up. Im sure your little sweetie will too. Don't panic, I am sure everything is just fine......

Jen

Last edited by Zayazmama; 02-04-2005 at 05:13 PM.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thank you so much for responding. It's very nerve-racking, but the good news is that the baby's still growing, active and moving more forcefully. Her heartrate was only 142 today when it has always been between 158 and 160. My doctor does not seem concerned about that. I did the glucose test and they hooked me up to a fetal monitor. The baby was on a sugar high.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with how the baby is laying. She's laying sideways (with her head on my left side and her feet on my right, based on how she kicks and my doctor confirmed it) but they measure up and down. Could that be a possibility? I honestly can't see where I've packed on 18 lbs in the last 2 months if it didn't go to the baby. Some of it went to my hips, butt and sides, but not 18 lbs worth.

Alleyne, I do have days where I feel smaller too. It's wierd. Last month I felt huge, but this month I don't feel as big. My maternity jeans are getting tighter, so I know I'm bigger, and the baby is sideways and growing out on my sides, so I just look thicker, not really bigger out front.

Zayazmama, I'm glad your little one is catching up and doing better. I've been so worried about you and her.

I'm trying not to worry too much, but it's been in the back of my mind for the past 3 weeks and I was really hoping to get some reassurances today. I hope that will come with the ultrasound on Monday, though. It will be nice to confirm that she's still a girl since everything's girly.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:19 PM   #5
(female)

tabbithy HB User

How many children do you have?
I am 29 weeks and my baby is measuring at 26 weeks, doctor said sense they measure at your pubic bone that if your uterus is lower (say for instance you have had children before) that your whole uterus isn't being measured. does that make any sense?...lol....so the part that is further below you pubic bone isn't getting measured. anyway if that don't make sense, then maybe this will make you feel better, my last baby measured 2 weeks behind the whole time and he was born a healthy 7.10lbs. So don't worry, as long as you are growing at a consistant rate everything is fine, even if you are a little behind...
Hope this has helped....

Old 02-05-2005, 06:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Tabbithy, thanks for the input. I have one child already and am encouraged that everything turned out fine with your 2nd. This one was on track until my 24 week appointment, which is the main reason I'm concerned. She is still growing and moving a lot, which is a good thing, and my doctor doesn't seem too worried about it. She said there could be any number of reasons why, but she scheduled an ultrasound to rule out anything major. The time is just going by so slow right now and I wish Monday would hurry up and get here. I'm trying not to worry about it, but it's not that easy. It's been in the back of my mind for the past 3 weeks, which have also gone by slow. I'll feel better after the ultrasound when we know for sure what's going on if anything.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:33 PM   #7
(female)

tabbithy HB User

Please keep us posted, I am sure it's nothing, but I know you will feel better after you app. Let us know....

Old 02-06-2005, 04:24 AM   #8
(female)

nicole-bris HB User

This has happened to me also. I went for my 1st ultrasound at 19 weeks where I was told that I wasnt as far as was first thought and to come back two weeks later for another scan. When I came back two weeks later the sonographer said my babies head was small measuring around 18 1/2 weeks but the babies body was around 21 weeks. She told me because the babies head was small, it bought for average down for the rest of her body and due date further along. This might be a cause for you measuring 3 weeks behind, one part of the body may not be as big or advanced as the others.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

jm.....about the measuring thing: My PN said that it CAN depend on how the little one is positioned. Mine wont sit still for anything, and changes position several times a day. He told me that if the baby is laying sideways as yours was (and mine does that a lot too), it can affect what the measurements are because of that.

I am certain that when you have your u/s, everything will be okay. If nothing else, I would think that maybe this is a growth spurt issue - kids will be kids, even inside.

Please let us know what they say okay?

Jen

Old 02-06-2005, 01:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks everyone for responding. I feel a little more at ease now. I am hopeful that the ultrasound will confirm that everything's okay in there. I'll definitely keep you posted after my ultrasound appointment tomorrow.

Old 02-06-2005, 08:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

it is probably fine. Did they tell you that once you get past a certain point, which you are, the measurements can be up to 2 weeks off? so that would account for most of it. Mine measures really weird sometimes. His legs measured at like 21 weeks, and i wasn't even 20 yet! and his head measured at 18 weeks, i was 18 weeks 5 days. His whole length measured at like 20 weeks. And his weight was right on target. So, see they can measure all over the place! and it does depend on how they are laying! Hope everything is all right!

Old 02-07-2005, 06:25 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

The measurement that has caused the concern is not from an ultrasound, but from the tape measure where they measure your uterus in centimeters that are supposed to correspond to how far along you are. At 24 1/2 weeks, my uterus measured 22cm, and at 28 weeks, it measured 25cm. Up until that point, it was always right on track, at 20 1/2 weeks it was at 20 1/2cm. I go for the ultrasound this afternoon to check into it further. My doctor isn't in until tomorrow, so I'm not sure how much the technician will tell me today. I would at least like to confirm the gender and get an estimate on how much she weighs today. I'll post after the ultrasound and let you all know what I find out. Thanks again for the encouragement. I'm not as freaked out as I was on Friday, thanks to everyone here.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:15 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Please dont get yourself worked up about measuring a little behind. It is so very common!!!! As Jen said in her previous post, it really all depends on the positioning of the baby as to how your tummy measures. One good thing is that your OB has ordered an ultrasound, it will give you peace of mind and you will be able to see your precious baby.

ValleyGurl

Old 02-07-2005, 10:58 AM   #14
(female)

megncjsmom HB User
Talking Re: Baby measuring 3 weeks behind

I pray your u/s goes very well today! I truly would not worry about the baby being a little bit behind, mostly as long as they are growing each time and moving lots. Also the heartrate changing like that is a sign of a healthy baby, if it is always 150, that isn't as great as if it is 140 one time, and 160 another, or at least changing somewhat (this is what my ob/gyn told me last time I had a NST.) My baby was behind in size from the time I was 5 months to 7 months, then all of a sudden she was caught up. I was due Saturday and she is normal size now. They will be able to tell you more with the u/s, and you may have to have a couple more of those, but don't let it stress you, just think, it actually is an advantage, you get more info that way. God bless, and look forward to hearing from you after your test!

Old 02-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I just got home from the ultrasound. What a relief! She said that everything is fine, the baby is measuring right where she's supposed to be, the amniotic fluid level is good and the placenta looks good too. It could have been how she was laying or the fact that I'm small and she's compact in there. She's about 3 lbs 4 oz, which is slightly larger than where my pregnancy book says she should be by the end of THIS week, so she's definitely growing. In the last day or so, she turned and is no longer laying from my left side to my right, and you can really see that the weight I've gained IS mostly baby. Some of it is in my behind and in through my sides, but most of it is now up front. I am so relieved.

Thanks everyone for your support in getting me through this. Pregnancy can be nerve-racking at times.

Closed Thread