It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

missie79 HB User
Exclamation Extremely faint positive pregnancy tests - Question!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Over the past 5 days I have done 2 pregnancy tests, both with first wee of the morning. Both times, there have been very faint lines denoting that I am in fact pregnant. I went to the doctors thismorning and she got me to give a urine sample, but, much to my husbands and my disappointment, the test in the doctors surgery came up negative. We are more than positive that I am in fact pregnant. I got the doctor to take some blood and I find out in the morning the results of the test, but what do you think? You can't get false positive results can you???

Very Confused. Any thoughts on this subject would help.

Old 02-15-2005, 07:07 PM   #2
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Re: Extremely faint positive pregnancy tests - Question!!!!!!!!

I took a pg test and it came out negative....I pulled it out about a half hour later and it showed a light positive. I was pg. I hope your test comes back positive. Keep us posted..I will look for your post in the morning. Good luck. My twins pg test at the doctors came back negative and I kept that and it NEVER came back positive. I took it again a few days later and it was massively positive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

I don't know what to say, I have never heard of this. Hopefully your blood test will come back BFP. good luck, looking forward to your post tomorrow.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

Pregnancy tests work by indicating whether or not you have the HCG hormone which you would not have unless pregnant. Therefore if the tests show even a faint positive, it is indicating that you DO have the hormone present!

The only way that you could receive a positive sign and then not be pregnant is if the test kit is faulty (never heard of this but anything is possible) or if you are indeed pregnant but then miscarried quickly as the embryo didn't take.

Due to the high cost of urine pregnancy tests, the doctors unfortunately use the cheapests ones available and they are the least accurate. That is why a blood test is needed, for a definite answer.

Congrats in advance!

Old 02-16-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I had the same thing happen with both my pregnancies, faint positives at home but negative at the Dr's...and both times the blood work came back positive. Goodluck. I did have another separate occasion that I had a faint positive but the bloodwork a day later showed negative, I assume that I had a missed miscarriage that time.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

HopingChris HB User

OK this one is right up my alley. Back in Nov. I posted the same exact question. I took 2 hpt's & both were very faint positives to the point I had to squint. But my kids could even see the line. So I made an apt. that very same day within that hour. I went to the doctors office & could not pee so I drank at least 2 to 3 cups (big cups)of water. The doctors urine test came up neg. I diluted my urine drinking all that water. Also I was very early in my pregnancy. So I came home & for the next week I took 14 hpt's & all pos. they started out faint but got darker as the week went by. So I made another apt. that next week & guess what I was in fact pregnant. Just too early for the doctors urine test to detect. I am now 14 weeks. I hope in fact you are pregnant. It was a wonderful feeling just to know the doctors test was pos. even though 14 test told me I was. Thanks to this board I didn't doupt those 14 hpt's.

Good Luck!
Chris

Old 02-16-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
(female)

fillorbust HB User

Just want to throw in my 2 cents. Every preg test on the market detects a different level of HCG. Some are as low as 10-15 while others are as much as 100 before they'll give a positive. It all depends on the test that was used and the level of HCG it will detect. If you were to look on the package insert of any of these tests, it will not tell you the level they detect. I had to call the hotline and then I found out the level they detected. The ones we use in our lab can detect as low as 20-25. The reason the blood test is more accurate is that it starts at 0 and detects levels that are in the thousands. In our lab 0-6 is considered negative for the blood test. There is a website out there that lists all the preg tests by brand and the HCG level that they detect.
I can also tell you from experience that the last time I was pg, I took a pg test (the one from our lab) a few days before I missed my period and it showed negative. On the day after I should've started my period, I did the blood test and my HCG level was only 63.
Good luck to you!!

Old 02-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
(female)

missie79 HB User

Hi everyone,

Thankyou so much for all your responses. Sorry I haven't posted back on here sooner, but I have been having problems with my computer. Well, I went to the doctors, had the urine test that came up negative, so asked for a blood test. The next day, I called for my results, and was told that the blood test results were negative. Is there any chance that I could be too early in my pregnancy and the blood test did not pick up the hormone?

Closed Thread