It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
(female)

tamaraheiner HB User
feeling fat instead of pregnant

i'm only ten weeks, and i haven't even put on that much. in fact, the last month i lost two pounds. but my pants continue to fit less and less and my clothes are getting too tight. The fact is, no matter how much I tell myself that i'm pregnant, i can't help feeling fat. it makes me depressed and makes me want to cover my belly up w/ my arms or a jacket when i sit down. i don't look pregnant, not nearly. but i'm starting to feel gross about my figure. anyone else feel this way? or should i change my attitude (how?)

Old 02-23-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
(female)

Angela3 HB User
Re: feeling fat instead of pregnant

The first few months you dont look preg. I did during third month, but as i am on my third preg. I always felt fat until I started to show!! Dont worry. I was out of my clothes at 8 weeks. Just get some comfy clothes and dont stress, soon you will notice your tummy!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 02:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Hi

I went through exactly the same feelings as you at about the same time and I was really sensitive to comments from my husband about my thickening waistline. It changed for me after we had the first scan (12 weeks), it started to feel real then, and I started to think of myself as 'pregnant'. After that I couldn't wait to get a proper bump! I'm 18 weeks now and I still sometimes look in the mirror and think 'you don't look pregnant you just look fat'. I suspect this is really common and I'm sure we will both start to feel better as we move through this phase to the definately looking pregnant phase!

Old 02-23-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
(female)

tamaraheiner HB User

i'm so glad! i'm also really sensitive about comments my husband makes. the other day he said, "i think your neck is getting fatter" and I didn't know whethr to cry or hit him. they are so insensitive! and i thought my face was looking pretty good!

Old 02-23-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Make sure you tell him how you feel. I had to tell mine a few times before he really understood that I was genuinely upset. Since then he's been totally lovely and keeps telling me that I'm not fat but 'in the bloom of my womanhood' (whatever that means!!! LOL) I'm now getting a proper bump and my belly is quite hard and he loves to touch it as it's a real sign for him that his baby is growing in there.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
(female)

CherryroseQT HB User

Hi! YES ! ! I have been feeling a bit chubby myself. Is this your first baby? It’s mine! I have become a bit obsessed with what is going to happen to my already large breasts (C cup before pregnancy) and my body. I haven’t told anyone but a few very close friends and my significant other. So I fear that people are looking at me like.. wow she shouldn’t eat so much! Funny thing is, I’m eating healthier than I generally do. Fruits veggies, whole grains…ect. I have started to exercise, it makes me **feel** good despite how I look. I do lower one day, upper the next. I have a yoga mat, and ball that I just purchased to keep me in good spirits. Don’t worry, I think initially body changes are depressing, even in puberty I can recall absolutely hating developing breasts.

Exercise in moderation should assist in making your pregnancy and delivery easier! It may be hard to get motivated but once you do it you’ll feel better! I have been using Rootbeer bottles as hand-weights! Silly I know, water bottles would work well too!

Also, to help with my insecurities I bought a few inexpensive feminine tops in larger styles. I figure I’ll grow into them.. but since they have beads, lace or satin…. They make me feel feminine and pretty! Plus what’s more feminine than be preggers!

All the best to you! **Crystal**

Old 02-23-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
(female)

tamaraheiner HB User

i'm so glad i'm not alone in these feelings. i too keep thinking people are looking at me and thinking i'm getting fat. they don't know i'm pregnant. i've never eaten healthier-in fact i've even lost some weight, my appetite is not as big. plus i've been working out, trying to stay in good shape. but my tummy is growing (like it should be). plus my uterus is tipped towards the back, so istead of seeing the shape of a growing uterus, we just see the body fat that got displaced by the growing uterus inside me.

i know i need to get some bigger clothes, then i won't feel so bad that my size 3 jeans won't button up top anymore. it is my first, so i guess it's a learning experience.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

At first, I lost weight about 15 pounds in the first couple of months, i was sick for one thing, and drinking more water, cause as long as I was drinking I wasn't as sick, lol. And it was strange, because even though after that because even though the area where the baby was was getting bigger, the rest of me was getting smaller! My legs, and arms and all are really skinny now! I am at 23 weeks now, and I still don;t really show, I think because my breasts got so big they overshadow everything! ANd I do end up just looking fat! I can't wait to relaly show!

Old 02-23-2005, 09:02 PM   #9
(female)

malizoom HB User

I'm ten weeks now. Till recently I felt vomiticious every day and I lost 10 pounds. I feel sort of guilty for being so please about the weight loss because I'm a gym nut and I have never lost weight so easily. I still felt (and feel) fat. My breasts are somewhat bigger but I can still squeeze in to my old bras and my clothes still fit.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:16 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

I always wanted a t-shirt that said "I'm not fat, I'm pregnant" Because you do have that phase where you are bigger, but the "bump" isn't that obvious.

I think that once you get further along you'll learn to embrace it. Especially once you get a nice round belly going...it's pretty sexy. My 1st pregnancy I kinda hid mine under baggy maternity clothes. THis time I wearing tight shirts almost daily to show off my HUGE round belly. DH actualy said he's going to miss my beautiful belly (I'm due in 10 days)

Hang in there...it's hard, especailly when you've spent a good deal of your life worrying about/or working on your body and then suddenly it's out of your control. Like CHerry Rose said, buy some clothes that make you feel good and feminine!!

Old 02-24-2005, 06:59 AM   #11
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

Tamara - don't get too upset about it. I'm normally a size 4 or 6 in pants, and I couldn't button those about 7 weeks into it...and I had just bought a ton of awesome clothes this summer, and now I can't wear any of them!! I just went shopping yesterday in a trendy (non-maternity) store and the only shirts that fit me were XXL. !!! I have never worn that in my life!!! But I've found that it helps to tell people I'm pregnant, even if it's only for me to hear it out loud and remind myself that no, I'm not a fat hog, I'm somebody's mommy-to-be. All the body changes are definitely weird - it's like your body is not your own - but as you get farther along and have an ultrasound or two, like someone else said, it definitely becomes more 'real' and you start feeling more and more OK with putting on weight and getting bigger and not just feeling like a blimp. I've found that it helps immensely to buy and wear clothes that fit. A friend of mine gave me like 8 trashbags full of maternity clothes, which is fantastic, but she is a few inches taller than me and gained a lot more weight, so most of it is size L. I'm a Medium or Small, so while it's been great to have all the free clothes, I've definitely been swimming in a lot of them and I know they don't look to great. I finally decided to invest in a few shirts and a pair of pants that actually fit me the way things fit before I was pregnant - not too tight, but snug and form-fitting - and it's been great. I obviouosly look bigger, but it's not like I'm wearing a mu-mu or something, and I can then explain that oh, by the way I'm pregnant! (in case you were thinking I was just fat!) I agree with another poster - I'd love to have a T-shirt that says "Pregnant, Not Fat" Maybe I'll get one made? I'm also going to have a tank top make with rhinestone/crystal writing that says on the front: "MILF-to-be" hehehehe

Anyway, don't freak out about your size - congrats!!! you're going to be a mom!! - and don't let anyone make you feel bad. And if people do make comments that are hurtful, do not feel embarrassed to tell them to stop. Sometimes people are really insensitive without even knowing it. Good luck!!

Old 02-24-2005, 09:44 AM   #12

julzb25 HB User

do not worry about it. relax(easier said than done). i couldn'nt fit into my jeans either at about 8 weeks. sad part is i had gained weight before i got preg. about 15 lbs a month before. how ironic. now i have that and pregnancy weight. i'm about 24 weeks and don't feel so fat(although the scales say otherwise). just pregnant. i had really large breast 34d before, now i wear a 38dd. if it's of any comfort, alot of my friends and myself went through some weird phase after having our first. we all ended up weighing about 20 lbs less than our prepregnancy weight. i think it was due to having a crying newborn, no sleep, and less time to eat(stress). it will all be over soon enough and then you'll want it all back.lol. we mothers and mothers to be are very strange when it comes to things like that. take care of that baby.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:33 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

For me, feeling fat never went away. I am 7 months pregnant and still feel fat. Yes I look pregnant, but my belly isn't the only thing that grew. My face is very chubby and I have 2 chins now. Not to mention, my hips have grown along with my thighs and I have rolls in my back now, which I never use to have.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:51 AM   #14
(female)

tamaraheiner HB User

i'm anxious to start looking pregnant, that's for sure. i'm a tiny person. my breast size was an A before, now it's...almost a B? I think an important point is the clothes you wear. If I try to wear tight things that squeeze my fat, i don't feel good about myself. I need to wear clothes that make me feel good too.

Closed Thread