It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2005, 08:25 AM   #1

*sam* HB User
Unhappy Flashing lights???

Hi, im 27 weeks pregnant. Yesterday i had a bit of a 'funny turn'. I was in the shower when all of a sudden i went very dizzy. I sat down for a minute or so and tried to stand up, again after a couple of minutes of standing i went really dizzy. This carried on 4 about 10 minutes until finally it passed. However the i did see some flashing lights in front of my eyes when i had this turn. Anyway, apart from this i felt fine all day. This morning i felt fine but i was sat down when i had these funny flashing lights in front of my eyes - only for about 10 seconds or so. Another minute or 2 went by and they came again for about 5 - 10 seconds and then stopped. I had no dizziness and feel fine. I have phoned the out of hours Dr who doesn't seem too worried. He told me that if it happens again today that i'm to go over there but if not that i should see my own Dr tomorrow so i can have my blood pressure checked. He did explain that at worst it could be a sign for pre eclampsia. Has anyone else experienced this during there pregnancy?? I would really appreciate any advice you may have. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2005, 08:56 AM   #2
(female)

heavenlly HB User
Re: Flashing lights???

2 weeks ago I had an episode similar to what you describe. It happened to me when I was laying down on the couch...I started seeing flashing lights around everything I was looking at, no dizziness though. So, I got up and it went away after about 30-40 min. I was scared I was gonna pass out or something. It happened again the following day, when I was laying on the couch lasting about 30 minutes.
I mentioned this to my dr., and she suspected that it might be from laying on my back and the pressure of the baby. She told me to try lying on my left side, and it hasn't happened since. My blood pressure was perfectly fine as well. I was 37 weeks at the time.
I don't know if this helps since it happened in a different position.
When is your next dr. appointment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2005, 10:27 AM   #3

*sam* HB User

Iv'e heard that you shoudn't lay on your back in pregnancy so i always avoid it. The first time it happened i was standing and the 2nd time i was sitting down. Iv'e heard that laying on your back can put pressure on your arteries and make you pass out. When i spoke to the out of hours Dr today he advised me to make appoinment with my Dr tomorrow to check everything is ok. I'm just a little bit worried though.

Old 03-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
(female)

ryantiques HB User

That has happened to me with my first and second pregnancy. It was preeclampsia. I was however, also swollen and itchy and had protein in my urine.

I would check your BP (usually walmart or other stores have the machine) if you can't get into your Dr's sooner just to check it.

For me it wasn't so much "flashing lights" as what I would call sparkles almost like the stars that you see in the beginning of the movie Star Wars. Anyway, preeclampsia is very serious and your at the time when it most likely starts (the beginning of the third trimester)

Don't fool around with those kind of symptoms, not trying to scare it could just be you changed positions to fast or were hungry too....take a deep breath and check your BP!

Hope it's nothing
Take Care and God Bless
Jessica

Old 03-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #5
(female)

DazedandConfused HB User
Exclamation Re: Flashing lights???

Symptoms like this mimic various problems......but i too had these episodes, they would come and go int he beginning of my pregnancies....when u become pregnant your blood volume increases dramatically to provide the baby with the essential nutrients and oxygen it need to survive..this is why prenatals are given to expecting mothers because you will need more iron in your diet to help in the production of oxygen carrying red blood cells, normally if a woman is not getting enough of iron these episodes of dizziness can happen..and plus your heart works harder to pump this extra supply of blood through your body, so it is recommended that if you get up out of bed, or off a couch, you do so very slowly so your body can equalize your blood pressure without causing dizziness..but if these symptoms carry on as they do, you will have to get it checked on...you cannot play around with symtoms like these, even though they may not be nothing at all..better safe than sorry..just get checked out for your peace of mine

Take Care.and Good luck with your pregnancy

DazedandConfused

Last edited by DazedandConfused; 03-07-2005 at 05:25 AM.

Old 03-06-2005, 05:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

According to what both of my docs have said (I see a regular OB and a Perinatologist) flashing lights could be a sign of preeclampsia. Especially if it is accompanied by dizziness, swelling and high blood pressure. I would just take it easy until your next appointmen and MAKE SURE you talk to you doc about it.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

To everyone who has had the experience of dizziness or seeing flashing lights, CALL YOUR DOCTOR without fail. Do not wait for your next appointment. Pregnant women of any age can have strokes. This is an important symptom that your doctor must know about immediately. Your doctor cannot take good care of you and your baby if you don't tell him or her what is happening. Pre-eclampsia is bad enough but a stroke can be much worse. You want to do all you can to avoid either problem. Calling your doctor is the first way to avoid those huge problems.

When you call the office, ask to speak with a nurse. If you're told to leave a message, tell the secretary it's an emergency. Really, this can be serious.

Wishing you all well - Barbara

Old 03-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi -

What did your doctors say about your symptoms??? Hope all is well.

Barbara

Old 03-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User

Yes - please advise.

When I checked in to this - I was advised that it was nothing serious. I am curious if you have been told otherwise.....

Keep us posted.

Old 03-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #10

Jupiters008 HB User

I have also been told that its not serious! Oh jeesh =( let us know how things go
good luck

Old 03-08-2005, 07:18 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User

Sam - anything on this from your Dr?

Old 03-08-2005, 07:32 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

I had preeclampsia and saw lights, my Dr told me it was a sign of an oncomming stroke....becareful and call your DR if you see flashing lights! I knew I had high b/p and was told to go directly to the hospital if I saw lights.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hope the others see this - seeing flashing light is a warning sign of serious potential problems. Several think it's nothing and that is SO wrong.

Wishing everyone well - Barbara

Old 03-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User

What I described as lights were these little floaters.....they go away with in seconds.....the DR told me it was nothing to worry about and wasn't life threatening or anything - So I think it's really dependent on the severity of her "flashing lights"!

Old 03-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

My flashing lights were like in you blew into a fire and the ambers blew up and floated down, it lasted for several minutes and I could not walk or stand really while it was happening,

Closed Thread