From my own understanding, docs are cracking down on early unnecessary inductions. I am not saying that your dh being there isn't necessary; but docs will only do inductions if there is a risk to the fetus, to the mom's health, high-blood pressure, etc. My doc gave me a good example. She told me of one of her patients who had breast cancer years ago, and things seemed fine. Now at 8 months along the woman found another lump in her other breast. So, in order for her to get the proper care and treatment they need to get the baby out sooner so she can start all over again.
I have a friend who is getting induced two weeks early because of high blood pressure and other complications.
If you DH can't be there, do you have your mom or MIL or close friend that could be there? Maybe your hospital would let you video the birth for your DH?
If you don't mind my asking, what would take your DH away from having the baby?
Hasty horse who drinks too much water gets belly ache
Unfortunately it's a work related problem that would be almost impossible to get out of short of quitting. He hasn't given up yet and is still trying to get it approved BUT if he does and then the baby doesn't come that would be tough.
I realize that some doctors don't like to do this, however, I've heard first hand of doctors doing it just because of convenience. Since we're only talking about two weeks early it was just a consideration.
I would just ask. I know that my doc does it for his patients if they need it. I am being induced this week, but only because I am having complications. But technically, you are considered full term at 37 weeks. Never hurts to ask. Having your spouse/significant other there for you during delivery is considered very important. Being alone during delivery is stressful, therefore can put more stress on the baby.
They refused to induce me for exactly the same reason. Fortunatly at the last minute Dh's work decided to let him stay at home, but if they hadn't he would have missed it. I was sooo cheesed off with my midwife considering I was 39 and a half weeks! Hope your able to get it sorted I know how devistating it would have been not having dh there.
i agree with zaya
theres no harm really , you never know inducing may not even work but
there is nuthing wrong with asking
i asked AT 36 WEEKS with my second because she was dropped way low i was uncomfortable , i was dialate 2 centimeters ( wich is nuthin) and my sons 3rd birthday was the that weekend and i didnt want to miss his party
he was like ok no problem , and we did it the next day
It depends on the doctor. My last ob wouldn't induce before 39 weeks (barring a medical reason) because he couldn't guarantee lung maturity. But he scheduled an elective induction for me because my DH was supposed to ship out with the Airforce right around my due date. My son came even earlier than that because my water broke, so I was induced around 37 1/2.
He was a big believer in allowing the mother to have some control over that. It's always irked me that there is this whole "My body, my right" and "freedom of choice" thing when it comes to terminating a pregnancy, but when it comes to choosing an early delivery of a live baby, it doesn't apply. Doesn't make any sense to me.
DS born 07/05/2003
DD born 3/24/2005
Dr. normally wants your cervix to be somewhat ready. They are also more likely to induce you on your 2nd or more pg, not as likely for a first pg. Also, some insurance company's will not authorize an induction prior to 40 weeks if not medically necessary.
BUT, I am going to be induced, at my request on 3/18, my due date was 3/29. It's my 4th pg though, I needed the induction because I'm pretty far from the hospital, have 3 other kids to juggle scheduling, etc. My cervix has already begun to soften, but is still thick, no dilation.