It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 06:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Yeast Infection? Not sure.

I have been on antibiotics for a UTI (as well as a sinus infection and upper respiratory infection) for the last 2 weeks and finished them this weekend. I understand that they can cause a yeast infection. I was just at the doctor on Friday and mentioned that I was having vaginal burning, but no itching or out-of-the-ordinary discharge. She told me to wait to see if the discharge changes, and, if so, to do a Monostat treatment.

I still have the burning and now itching. The itching is not in my vagina, though, it's around my labia. The discharge still looks normal to me. Could this be a yeast infection or something else? I have also noticed a frequency in the urge to pee with not much coming out when I do, but I am 32 weeks and it could be the baby's doing. (I doubt it's a UTI because I just finished the antibiotics for that and my urine was fine on Friday.) What happens if I do the Monostat treatment and it's not really a yeast infection? Anything?

Old 03-07-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User
Re: Yeast Infection? Not sure.

I have had three yeast infections since being pregnant, and with my last one, I had gotten it because of being on Zithromax for a sinus infection. So it's very likely you could have one. The only symptom I had was burning and a little itching every now and then. My discharge as well wasn't anything out of the ordinary. So we called the dr and she said to start on Monistat, and I asked her what if it wasn't a yeast infection? She said that the Monistat was very safe to use during pregnancy and that the chances of it not being a yeast infection were slim since not many other infections cause just the burning and itching alone. So if I were you, I would start on the Monistat, but if after two to three days you aren't feeling any different, call your dr and let them know. Hope this helped some!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 09:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I have a lot of soreness, burning and swelling in my labia that I also noticed since I posted this. Is that related to a yeast infection? I was thinking it could also be a reaction to the pantyliners, since I have to use them all the time now. I think I may have hemmorhoids too since that part is also tender and leaves little spots of blood when I wipe. I seem to have all sorts of problems "down there" at the moment that I have never experienced before. Is it okay to do a sitz bath and the Monostat, and would they help?

Old 03-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

I'm not sure if the swelling is related to a yeast infection, but, I just asked my dr Friday at my appt about it, cause I actually have had that problem a few times myself, and she said hemmorhoids will cause swelling in the labia. And I do know that you can take sitz baths, and that actually might be pretty soothing. But I am not sure if they recommend doing sitz baths while being treated for a yeast infection. I know my dr has said to avoid baths if possible while using the medication cause it can actually re-stimulate the overgrowth of the yeast and cause more problems. I sure hope you can find some relief though. I feel for you!

Old 03-07-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks for the info. I just scheduled an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow to check it out, mainly because it hurts all over down there now and I'm not sure that it's just a yeast infection, although I'm sure that's probably part of the problem. I'm thankful I'm only 32 weeks, because I wouldn't want to go into labor right now with everything being sore and tender already. I'll hold off on the sitz bath until I get to the doctor to find out what's really going on. Thanks for the advice and info!

Old 03-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

I was just wondering how your appt went and what you found out...hopefully you can start to get some relief soon!

Old 03-10-2005, 05:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Sorry, I didn't update this thread yet. I do have a yeast infection as well as bacterial vaginosis and hemmorhoids - lucky me! My doctor put me on Diflucam for the yeast infection and some gel that burns for the bacterial infection. I can't do anything about the hemmorhoids until everything else clears up, if at all. I'm starting to feel better, but it's gross. Thanks for all of your advice!

Closed Thread