It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

kellic2000 HB User
Advice Please....

Hi, I'm new to the board and wondered if anyone could help me. My husband and I married a year and a half ago and have been going unprotected ever since, taking a "leave it to the fates" approach. My periods have always been eratic and I took the pill to regulate them, until a few months before we married. Since I've been off it, it isn't unusual for me to miss a period or two. I haven't had one now since mid November, almost 4 months ago. I wasn't overly worried, but have been having pregnancy like symptoms. I've gained nearly 10 pounds, even though I have been trying to lose weight. I've been feeling icky in the afternoons, have had weird food cravings (ate liver for the first time in like 15 years LOL) etc. The last couple of weeks, I've been feeling fluttering in my lower tummy area, especially if I wear anything tight around my waist, or lean against something and put pressure on my tummy. I took a HPT a few days ago, but it was negative. I talked to my sister and she said that she had the same thing with her first child, HPT and BLood tests both negative and she had to have ultrasound to find out she was 3 1/2 months along. My Mother had a similar problem. So, I went into the Dr. today for a blood test. He looked at me like I was crazy and said that it was highly unlikely that the HPT could be wrong, but that he would test my blood anyway if I wanted. I did, and am awaiting the results now. Has anyone else had negative HPTs and still been pregnant, or is this all in my head?? Also, since the urine and blood tests measure the same hormone, it it doesn't show up in the urine test, how much more sensitive is the blood test? Thanks,

K

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User
Re: Advice Please....

I think it happens quite often that the test is wrong. How far do you think you might be? I hope you get the phone call you want!!!!

Old 03-07-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
(female)

USPS84 HB User

I would get a blood test to be sure...

Liver isn't something you should be eating if you are pregnant!

Old 03-07-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPS84

I know this isn't the point of this thread, but I have a book about nutrition during a multiple pregnancy and the book says liver is great (in moderation). Different doctors and books say different things, so if you are pg and craving liver, check with your doctor. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

My MIL was almost 5 months pregnant before they figured it out, this was obvioulsy before ultrasounds, lol. But she never, during the whole time, showed postive on a blood test. That was with my SIL, and she is fine, healthy and all.
Why can't you eat liver? So long as it is cooked and all.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Okay, I am going to answer my own question about liver! Apparently liver has an extremely high amount of vitamin A, which can be dangerous in pregnancy. A small serving has 30,000 units of vitamin A, and the FDA only recomends about 2500. But then I found other things that said that liver was great and would help a lot because it is full of folic acid and iron and other great stuff, except not to eat liver pate something about it not being cooked correctly, and to make sure that liver is cooked very good!

Old 03-07-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
Veteran

Jessthemess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPS84

What does liver do? I'm personally repulsed by it, but I know my mom ate it A LOT while she was pregnant with me! (That was early 80's though!). So that explains whats wrong with me...

Last edited by Jessthemess; 03-07-2005 at 07:59 PM.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:37 AM   #8
(female)

kellic2000 HB User

Wow, it's amazing the turns these threads take sometimes LOL. I only ate the liver that once, and I only had one piece, then it started to make me feel Icky, so I didn't eat anymore. Talking to my sister, she said that was the only time in her life she ever craved liver as well was when she was preggers LOL.

Just waiting on pins and needles here now for the blood test results

Closed Thread