It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 09:51 AM   #1
(female)

Sunshine709 HB User
Stretchmarks

Anyone know of a good way to reduce or eliminate getting stretch marks.. im not even 6 months yet and i already have 6 stretchmarks on my tummy... I'm eating healthy but it seems like my stomach is bloating out more and more everyday..

Old 03-08-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
(female)

jaybird75 HB User
Re: Stretchmarks

Sorry love, but you're kinda stuck with them. Some women will swear up and down that cocoa butter or other topical applications work miracles, but the cold hard truth is that stretch marks are mostly hereditary - if your mom had em, chances are you will too - and they never go away (their appearance has to do with the deeper levels of tissue being stretched, so putting creams or whatnot on the top layers of skin won't reach the real problem - the deeper layer stay stretched permanently). The good news is thaat they WILL fade over time (if they're red/purple now, they'll turn white eventually) so you can't really see them, but they'll always be there - think of them as your 'pregnancy tattoos'.

Last edited by jaybird75; 03-08-2005 at 10:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
(female)

Honeychild HB User

Hi there

I know people will tell you its genetic/hereditary and nothing can be done about, and if your mum got them you will too.

I don't believe it at all, and here's why.

My mum has a ton of stretch marks on her belly. she never used any creams on her belly during any of her pregnancies.

My youngest sister is the same. never used any creams on her belly either, ate unhealthy as well, and has a ton of stretch marks from her first and then her second pregnancy.

then there is my other sister.

Applied moistureiser to her belly every day from when she first found out she was preg, ate pretty healthy, and drank lots of water, and did nNOT get one stretch mark. So you can't tell me she was just "lucky". NO if that theory holds any water, then regardless she should have gotten stretch marks too.

I am in my last trimester and have no stretch marks so far, which I am glad of. Yes, I applied creams as soon as I found out I was pregnant, have drunk lots of water, and eat pretty healthy, occasionally not so of course.
So dont let anyone tell you that you cannot avoid or prevent them! ;-)

I do think also that only putting on the recom mended amount of weight during pregnancy is a good thing. Don't put on excess weight as that will put more stress and strain on your skin.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

Strechmarks depend on the individual. If your skin has poor elasticity then you are bound to get them. Lotion can help with the itching and perhaps minimize the appearance by keeping the top layer of skin soft and flexible. I don't believe it can actually prevent them from forming though. They are supposedly hereditary, which is a ligit theory if elasticity is genetic. However, there are women out there (myself included) that were the first in their family to get strechmarks. I believe that has to do with how much weight you gained during your pregnancy. If your mother didn't have them and took care of herself, yet you ate terrible and gained 65 lbs, then perhaps you have a better chance of getting them considering you pulled your skin out further then hers was.

I don't think they're preventable. I believe they can be controlled with a healthy weight gain though and maybe (I stress maybe) minimized with a good lotion that can keep the top layer of your skin healthy. However, just to add my two cents in about using lotion, I applied cocoa and shea butter to my skin daily long before I ever became pregnant and throughout my entire 7.5 months and still got marks.

Closed Thread