It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 11:38 AM   #1
(female)

tarrece HB User
eatting habits

Ok well I was told to eat healthy while pg, but right now i only eat what i crave, its the only thing really appetizing to me, i was told to eat fruits, every fruit i eat, i throw up, so im gonna try the fruit bars, maybe they will help me, but do u really have to eat majorly healthy like ive heard, my sister lived off taco bell her whole 9 months, lol, and my nephew is perfectly fine(now 5)

Old 03-08-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User
Re: eatting habits

Until your morning sickness clears up you need to eat what ever you can hold down. As you get further along just remember that chips and fries don't grow babies, they grow mommies.
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Every book you read and every person you talk to has advice about what we should/should not eat. These people cannot feel what we can/cannot eat based on our vomit factor at any moment.

I tried to eat really well the first few weeks I knew of my pregnancy, but after that, I learned I was making myself more sick by sticking to other people's & books recommended diets. I honestly eat when I'm hungry. I quit reading so many books and started to listen to what my body was telling me. I have gained quite a bit of weight early on, but I try to make the best choices I can based on how I feel & what I can stomach. I was underweight to begin with.

I''m not saying any of the following is good, but here's a report of a few bad habits from my circle of friends:
I have a friend who drank 4-5 Mountain Dews every single day & all was fine.

My mom at 5-6 Mars candy bars with me just about every day with me...and my dad was a chain smoker...smoking in the house. I'm fine.

My good friend lived on Steak N Shake hamburgers & fries her entire pregancy (greasy/good hamburgers...compare to Whataburger or Culvers if you don't have Steak N Shake). Her daughter is 9 & very smart.

My best advice is listen to your body. Moderation is key.
Gayle

Old 03-08-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
Inactive

yamamama HB User

You want to give your baby the best possible start,thats why you are told to eat good foods. I love broccoli,but I cant stand it right now and it makes my stomach curl. So,I only eat it in cheese and broccoli soup(I figure some broccoli must be better then no broccoli). With my Daughter I ate strawberries everyday,this pregnancy I cant eat the strawberrries because I can no longer take the seeds(messes up my colon). So, I drink 100% fruit juice,which I think 6 oz counts as one serving from the fruit group. Anyhow,my point is even when foods make you ill still try to figure out a different way to get that nutrition..anyway possible. This does give your baby a healthier start on life and starts their eating habits early on as well. Eating only bad foods will not help to strengthen you either,and you will need that energy.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Nutrition is best, but honestly, try to eat what you can keep down and crave. Your body will start to crave foods that are healthier for you and soon you will be past this hurdle. The pregnancy books and other people tell you what's ideal, but that doesn't work for evreyone or every pregnancy. All you can do is the best you can, particularly in the first trimester. Once you're over the morning sickness, you can make healthier choices. For now, though, eat what you can.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Just what they said! Eat what you can! My dr told me that if all I felt like eating was bologna during the first trimester then to eat it, just make sure it was cooked, lol.
Now i eat basically what I crave. If anybody every watches "Everybody loves raymond" Marie said once, that if you crave something and don't eat it the baby will be born with a birthmark in that shape!
I have been eating a lot of salad and nacho chips, i have ulcerative colitis and can't normally eat those things, but being pregnant has helped and I can! So i figure I had better eat it while I can!

Old 03-09-2005, 04:43 AM   #7
(female)

tarrece HB User

thanks for everyones advice, I will do the best I can!

Old 03-09-2005, 06:36 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

Quote from Jen: As you get further along just remember that chips and fries don't grow babies, they grow mommies.
WOW!! That was a GREAT one! Maybe that is my problem? Having eaten Cheetos most of the time? I DEFINITELY GREW MYSELF! I just had to say I LOVED the quote!
Like one of the other posters said, eat what you can in the beginning. Ususally your cravings are right in the beginning anyway. I still have my occasional want to eat cheetos and chocolate cravings. BUT I think that's mostly because I haven't been eating good for quite some time--even before my preg. I am at 32 weeks. Just hang in there. You are taking a vitamin, right? That will help to some extent to get the baby the nutrients that you might not get from eating not-so-good. Eat what you can, and eat what you want within limits. You'll be GREAT!
~Alexis

Old 03-09-2005, 07:21 AM   #9
Inactive

yamamama HB User

If I ate only what I craved then I would live on dove bars! Well,I kinda did with my first and I gained 50 lbs...ehhkk!!!

Closed Thread