It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 11:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User
Labor

Am i the only woman in the world who is not worried about labor hurting? Don't get me wrong, I know it's not gonna be a walk in the park or anything, and that I am not gonna want to do it for fun or anything, and I know it is gonna hurt. But, I have ulcerative collitis, and if you dont' know what that is, it is basically fever blisters in your intestines, i always called it holes in my stomach, or my insides falling out, cause, i know this is gross, but when it is bad, they sort of do. Anyway, that went untreated for two years and uncnotrolled for three after that, so for a total of five years i walked around with hundreds of little holes in my insides, and that is very painful! So, I am looking at labor this way, it cant' possibly hurt that much, and even if it does, it will only be for a little while, 72 hours tops. My Mom had me and my sis in about five hours each. Plus, I am getting a baby out of it! The only thing I ever got out of the other was almost dead!
The thing about labor I am most worried about is that I won't get to eat or drink, or sleep, and I am afraid I will get hungry and thirsty. I just wondered if I was the only woman who thought that way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 04:24 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

tallgirl1982 HB User
Re: Labor

I have a stomach prob but urs is in your bowel isnt it not your stomach so i can see how u worry as its low down. But you can get an epidural and u wont feel a thing from the waist down so dont worry too much, they will give u that before things get too bad.
As for eating, they might say they prefer u not to eat incase u r sick, but who cares its only a bit of sick! u r allowed to eat if u want to its not banned so if u r hungry then have a bite to eat its your labour and its entirely up to you not them

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 06:21 AM   #3
(female)

hreiter HB User

Well, as for myself, I am very scared of labor... for me that is the scariest part... I am npt one to be able to take alot of pain... I have thought about the eating and drinking... from my understanding, once you go into labor, you are not suppose to eat or drink and it is more so in case you have to have a c-section... alot of times they will allow you to eat ice chips...

Old 03-09-2005, 07:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

I saw a women eat a mconalds on the health chan!! u will be aloud an energy drink though! i know that for sure

Last edited by tallgirl1982; 03-09-2005 at 07:39 AM.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:43 AM   #5
(female)

saradaemon HB User

Well I can tell you when my knee broke in January 2002 that hurt far worse after surgery than having my son!!! Just thinking about moving my leg i would cry!!! BTW I had my son natural so yeah i had pain!! LOL Not by choice of going natural though!!! But that is another story!!

Lori

Old 03-09-2005, 07:44 AM   #6
Inactive

yamamama HB User

cattieos,
Hi, I also have Ulcerative Colitis and am currently 29 weeks pregnant. Everyone with IBD is different in how they react to pain(as with everyone). When I was pregnant with my daughter(four years ago) I did not have UC. I have never had a high tolerance for pain,until the birth of my daughter. She was large and didnt quite fit coming out and I was torn and cut into my rectum to make room for her to come out. I had a terribly long recovery and shortly after that was when I was dx with UC. I have moderate to severe left side and rectum. I went a year being sick and not knowing what was wrong with me,finally dx and then another year to get the disease under control. I almost lost my colon(which would have been fine with me because the extreme pain and embarrassement I could do with out). My tolerance for pain is extremely high now,because with UC you do become use to the discomfort and pain that comes with everyday life. However,I am soooo scared to have this baby. I am sooo scared to see what delievery will bring for me. NOT the pain,because I can tolerate it (I am having a c-section) But because of what might come after delivery,and that to me is scary. I realize that MANY woman with IBD do flare up after delivery. I am worried I wont be able to handle my daughter,my new baby,my house,husband,a insision in my stomach trying to heal...and if I get sick again to boot!!! OMG! That is what scares me. I think you have a positive attitude to say it isnt going to bother you,and thats great. But, think past the delivery...be prepared. I hope the best for you and your baby. Take care.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:17 AM   #7
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

When I always had to go to the hospital (3pgs) I was never allowed anything but ice until baby was born. Ive never been scared of labor not once now being my 4th time now looking back on it makes me think its the best part. Working so hard to see my beautiful baby ive created. The anticapation of it all. I cant wait.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I'm not so much scared of labor, it's recovery that was painful for me the last time. I was dialated to 7 and in extreme pain from the contractions by the time I got an epidural, so I went through most of the labor without anything. It was painful, but I got through it and thankfully I didn't feel it when I pushed the baby out, which is the peak of the pain. The epidural was great, but after it wore off, OMG OUCH! I wish it was just up to 72 hours max and then no pain, but you can't squeeze a watermelon out and have it not be painful afterwards. It was quite painful for me the first week or so after the baby was born. I'm sure with the pain that you've gotten used to, you will be able to handle it better, but I'm nervous about the first week. I am allergic to heavy duty pain meds and can't take anything stronger than Tylenol, which doesn't touch the pain.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Well I am glad I am not the only person who isn't all that worried, people always look at me like i am crazy when I say i am not worried about it! I know it will hurt afterwards, and that does worry me a bit, but I think it is worth it! I have heard that UC can flare up afterwards, and I am slightly worried about that, more so if I have to have antibiotics for some reason during delivery, that is what messes me up. But, if I am in the hospital, and they will go ahead and treat me, i can recover from that pretty quickly! THe other two times i was in the hosptial it was for a week, but both times I was really really sick for months before hand, last time i was so dehydrated that the skin on my hands was so tight it pulled them into cups, if that makes sense. Anyway, i got off topic, I hope i do get to at least drink something, i stay thirsty! Oh well, it won't last that long, and it's worth it! Thanks for replying everyone!

Last edited by cattieos; 03-09-2005 at 09:11 PM.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:37 PM   #10
(female)

JLMandPaul HB User

Honestly, I have to admit I try not to think about it too much, because if I do, I will scare myself and dwell on it.

Closed Thread