It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
(female)

lindsayWV HB User
Bicornuate Uterus

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and had some bleeding this week. I had blood tests and an ultrasound. Everything looks fine and I heard the heartbeat today. Probably just implantation bleeding. But they told me I have a heartshaped uterus and the chances of miscarriage are greater. Does anyone have any experience with this or any success stories? The nurse told me the chance of miscarriage decreases when they hear the fetal heartbeat, but I'm still really nervous.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: Bicornuate Uterus

Hi Lindsay,

I also have a bicornate uterus and had a complicated OB history. The most significant impack that it had for me was that all of my babies were born early. I was pg 5 times. The first time I miscarried, the 2nd I lost the baby at 20 weeks after going into labor, the 3rd was born just 6 weeks early and he's 25 years old. The 4th was born at 26 weeks after a car accident and he is almost 21 years old. The 5th was preterm at 22 weeks and we lost her.

Medicine and NICU success has improved a lot since I was having my children. I think you're lucky to have found out about the heart shape of your uterus so early. You should probably give thought to the being financially prepared in case your doctor wants you to stop working as your pregnancy progresses. Ask your doctor how this will impact you pregnancy and if you might have to stop working for a while.

Your uterus will give the baby somewhat less room to grow than the normal uterus. My uterus has a septum that divides it into a small side and a larger side. Perhaps your heart shape allows the baby access to almost all of the normal amount of space. Hope so!

My DH and I do have 2 sons. Wishing you well! Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 07:08 AM   #3
(female)

lindsayWV HB User

bump for new readers

Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
(female)

MommyOlga HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayWV View Post
I'm 6 weeks pregnant and had some bleeding this week. I had blood tests and an ultrasound. Everything looks fine and I heard the heartbeat today. Probably just implantation bleeding. But they told me I have a heartshaped uterus and the chances of miscarriage are greater. Does anyone have any experience with this or any success stories? The nurse told me the chance of miscarriage decreases when they hear the fetal heartbeat, but I'm still really nervous.
I found out that I had a heart shaped uterus after I gave birth to my firstborn. I was 7 months pregnant, and my OBGYN ran an ultrasound to find that the baby was hadn't flipped...his head was located on my left side near my heart...and his butt was sitting at the bottom of the uterus. At 33 weeks he was still in the same position, and my OBGYN told me that I should consider an 'INVERSION' to turn the baby if he doesn't turn himself in the next few weeks. Well, at 34.5 weeks, I had another ultrasound, baby was still breach, and the OBGYN said my amniotic fluid was dangerously low, and sent me to the hospital to hook me up to an IV to try to increase the fluid and monitor the fetus' heart rate. They successfully raised the level overnight...but it was still on the low end. I continued to hydrate like crazy...about 12 to 15 eight ounce glasses of water per day...and at my 38th week...the OBGYN measured my amniontic fluid...and found it was even lower than the first time..and she recommended a c-section that day (the baby was still breach...and there wasn't enough water to turn him). So, my hubbie and I chatted and agreed that since his vital statistics were healthy, we should take him out before my fluid got any lower. So, that night on the c-section table, my OBGYN tells me that the reason why my son was breach was because my uterus was heart shaped. I'm glad we didn't try to do an INVERSion. It probably would have been extremely painful to nearly impossible. So, I'm curious, does anyone know why I wasn't told earlier that I had a heart shaped uterus? How do you find that out? Glory be to God, that our son is healthy 6 month old infant and I made it to 38 weeks of pregnancy.

Closed Thread