It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
(female)

malizoom HB User
Rubella and Pregnancy

My OB was looking at my test results and noticed that for some reason, I'm not vaccinated against Rubella. I obviously can't do anything about it now, except for staying away from kids with Rubella (which is tricky because symptoms don't show for a few days). I heard that it is only for the first three months that I need to worry and I'm just past 12 weeks. Does anyone know about this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: Rubella and Pregnancy

I have the same problem, except that I have actually been immunized for Rubella TWICE - once routinely as a baby and once after they discovered the lack of immunity during my first pregnancy. My doctor said that she's had 3 patients before me who have specifically had the shot as a precaution prior to getting pregnant and it didn't take. Since there is a standard immunization for Rubella in the U.S., it has become a rare disease, so your chances of contracting it are very slim. I'm not sure if you're in the clear after the first trimester or if there is a risk throughout the pregnancy, though. I don't worry too much about it since it's such a remote possibility to get it these days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

HopingChris HB User

I got fifth disease (parvovirus) at 8 weeks. It is a type of measles also. It is dangerous in the 1st trimester (just like rubella). I am now in my 2nd trimester at 19 weeks & I go have ultrasounds every 3 weeks to keep a check on my baby's heart. If you have not come in contact with anyone with rubella I wouldn't worry yourself about it. Trust me, I have worried for the past 11 weeks about this. I have not been immuned against any type of rubella or parvovirus. It just so happened my 4 yr. old daughter got it & I caught it from her. My best advise it wash your hands constantly. No matter where you go wash them. But don't stress about something you don't have. Take the time & enjoy your pregnancy. I have decided to leave it in Gods hands & I have faith my baby will be fine.

Good Luck!
Chris

Old 03-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #4

FaithfulyWaiting HB User

My mother has had the Rubella vac, and for some reason everytime she's pregnant they tell her she's not immune anymore. It's really strange!
Since it is very rare, I wouldn't worry about it. Don't stress about it

Old 03-11-2005, 11:04 PM   #5
(female)

ryantiques HB User

I know as a child for school I had the MMR's necessary to go. But for some reason the rubella didn't take and with my first pregnancy I wasn't Immune.

Nothing I could do during pregnancy but watch being around kids, wash my hands often etc. Wasn't to hard cause it was my first (no older kids in school etc)

Anyway, I had the shot in the hospital after delivery and #2 and now #3 were all set and I'm immune.

Wish you the best
Jessica

Old 03-12-2005, 09:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

I am not immune against rubella either, obvioulsy that one doesn't take very well!
But I really am not that worried, cause it is vaccinated against here, and very very rare, plus I am rarely around children, and none that aren't.

Closed Thread