It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 04:43 AM   #1
(female)

tarrece HB User
Thumbs up weird/dumb Q for anyone

Ok well im just curious so i figured id ask, im 21, i have my belly pierced, i kno when ur far along(im only 8 weeks) ur belly button flattens, am i gonna have to take my belly ring out? i kno its dumb but im curious,lol

Old 03-11-2005, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: weird/dumb Q for anyone

I don't have one, so I'm not positive, but your belly button gets stretched beyond what you ever thought possible during pregnancy, even if you have an inny to begin with. I would think the hole would get stretched out too and you would probably want to take it out when you start to show before it stretches too much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 06:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

Take it out now! LOL! the longer you leave it in the more the scar will strech as your belly grows. I took mine out as soon as I found out I was pregnant and my scar only streched a little, 2 of my friends left theirs in untill 4 and 5 months and they have HUGE strech marks where the hole is. It might just be coiencidence but I'd rather not take my chances

Old 03-11-2005, 06:56 AM   #4
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

Well, I have an 'innie' and have had it pierced for 13 years or so. I have a steel barbell that was doing fine - didn't hurt or anything, even though my tummy is definitely expanding. At my last ultrasound (about 2-3 weeks ago), the doc said I should take it out now or it would stretch...so I did. But my belly looked so naked without it. Then I looked online and they have these 'pregnancy belly rings' - basically a 2" barbell made from PTFE, which is a flexible plastic (I think it's really teflon, but PTFE stands for whetever the long chemical name is - polytetrasomething). Anyway, I bought one and put that in and although the overwhelming majority of people have no problem with it, my piercing didn't like it - it got red and sore and even started getting crusty - after 13 years! So I took that out after a few days, and decided to just put my steel barbell back in. Which so far has been great - I always had such an innie that you could usually only see the top ball (the bottom one was so far in, you couldn't see it) - but now that my tummy's stretched a bit, it looks really nice. Obviously, if it starts to hurt or look weird I'll take it out, but I'm in my 6th month now and things look fine. I think had I not had a bad reaction to the PTFE, I could have left that in the whole time - it's flexible (you can bend it in half), and with the extra length it made for a nice retainer. Because it's plastic, you can also cut it down to size, so if you don't want a 2" thing sticking out of your navel, you can trim it to whatever looks best - the ends are self-threading (so when you screw the ball onto the end you just cut, it 'creates' the thread and stays put). Anyway, I think the most important thing is what your piercing looked like before you were pregnant - my friend has an outtie, and she left hers in while pregnant, and I have to say, I think it looks pretty gross - it's really stretched out. But of course that's just my opinion. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:58 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

cdenk HB User

Thats nothing, I have a tattoo on my belly, by my pubic bone that is starting to look like a SHRINKY DINK!

Old 03-11-2005, 07:15 AM   #6
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

LOL cdenk!!! hehehheheheheh...I just nearly fell off my chair - a shrinky dink! hehe, i used to love those! thankfully, all my tats are on the 'B-side' - full back, and outer thighs, so nothing's gotten too bent out of shape.

Old 03-11-2005, 07:28 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

cdenk HB User

It's really funny! I guess at 17 I wasn't thinking about what would happen if I got preggers! My husband keeps taking pictures of it so when I really get big we can compare it to what it is supposed to look like.

Fortnatly both of my other tats are on my shoulder blade and small of my back so those should be OK. I HOPE!

Old 03-11-2005, 10:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

I took mine out before I even got pregnant and my OB told me I didnt have to. I am glad I did because Im at 30 weeks now and the hole is now a slit ___ about that big. I haven't gotten a stretch mark on it yet but it is red.

Last edited by jenn.e; 03-11-2005 at 10:27 AM.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:35 AM   #9
(female)

emilyallison HB User

My doc said most of her patients have put in a thick string around 5 months and they had no problems with it and their bellybuttons look normal now. (post baby) You might want to try that or that Pregnancy Belly Button ring that the other poster suggested.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:56 AM   #10
(female)

lil*hottie HB User
Talking Re: weird/dumb Q for anyone

I took mine out when I was 4 months because I was afraid it would stretch really bad, but it hasn't at 6 months, but I thought why would I want my belly button pierced after I have my son, because I am not gonna want to show it off or anything!! lol

Old 03-11-2005, 11:51 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

I have a belly ring and I am starting my 6th month now. I am almost ready to take it out. I had it in until 6 months or so with my daughter also. I have a stretchmark on it, but I wear a ring, not a barbell and you cannot even see it. After the baby, the stretchmarks fade to silvery white and you cannot see it at all. mine is on the bottom of my belly button and I have had it for prolly 8-9 years now. I was able to get mine back in. Most people are not able to get it back in. The longer you leave it out, the harder it will be to get back in. So either you won't get it back in if you take it out too early, or you will have it stretch a little. Either way there is a consiquense (sp?) good luck either way.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:56 AM   #12
(female)

Tash16 HB User

hi, well i have recently took my belly bar out as i was told to with the tummy stretching. What i have been told to do if i still want to keep it is to jus put the belly bar in everyday and take it out again to make sure it dont heal up.

Old 03-12-2005, 03:30 AM   #13
(female)

tarrece HB User

well,hmm, thank you everyone, im thinkin i will take it out when im about 4 months, im only 8 weeks now,unless something happens before then, i do not want my belly to funky looking, after the baby if my stomach looks decent i will have it repierced

Old 03-12-2005, 03:51 AM   #14
(female)

Tash16 HB User

Your brave, i keep puttin it in n out everyday because i dont think i would have the guts to av it done again lol. Im a wimp. Well i hope everythin goes fine for you.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

You are meant to take it out but i have seen on the web a pregnancy belly button ring so maybe if you dont want to take it out you could get one of these! I would talk to you doctor or midwife about leaving it in, just so they can give you the best advise and help you to decide on wether it is better out or in.

Good luck

Closed Thread