It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 12:31 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User
Sharp pain in my ribs - what is it?

Hi All

Last night I was fast asleep when I was suddenly woken up by a really sharp pain in my ribs (left side, maybe a couple of inches below my breast). It only lasted an instant and then was gone, but it hurt enough to make me wake up and cry out. It hasn't come back at all but I'm wondering what it could be?

I'm 21 weeks pg and just after the rib pain I felt quite a strong kick high up on my stomach. Could the baby have landed a good strong kick on my ribs? Is that what it would feel like?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Spanish

Old 03-13-2005, 06:18 AM   #2
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User
Re: Sharp pain in my ribs - what is it?

Hi chances are it was your baby. Maybe his/her foot/hand was caught up around there. It has happened to me too several times. It can be very painful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2005, 06:26 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Boo Boo HB User

Hi,

im nearly 20 weeks, havent experienced that as yet, sounds painful. Sounds like the baby! although l didnt realise it could go that far up! lol

Old 03-13-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Hi Boo Boo

I've never been kicked that far up before either, but I was lying curled up on my left side so I suppose my ribs were curved downwards and therefore the pain was probably about where the top of my uterus would be. I've read other threads that say if the baby jams a foot or hand in between your ribs it really hurts. This only lasted an instant so that's why I wondered if this was a kick / punch rather than the baby actually using my ribcage as a foot rest!

Spanish

Old 03-13-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

I've seen three different doctors about the pains in my ribs (started out on my left side at 24 weeks, then started affecting both sides at 28 weeks) and not one of them could actually diagnose the problem. I've heard heartburn (which I know it's not) to pulled ligaments, ect. The last doctor I saw made the most sense. He said since I didn't have a long torso, chances are, I was getting streched out in places that most women don't have to experience, such as under my breast bone, ect. I'm only 5'2, so it makes sense.

Either way, whatever the cause is for you, the most anyone could do is give you an ultrasound on your ribs and if it feels as if it's on the surface, they aren't going to find anything in there. None of my doctors were concerned.

Old 03-14-2005, 06:17 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

cdenk HB User

I have been getting these pains ALL MY LIFE. It is caused by the muscles that are over your ribcage basically cramping becuase your in weird position. No cause for alarm, but I have had the pain last for 20 minutes once, thought I was going to die!
I would mention it to your doc if you want to put your mind at ease further.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:35 PM   #7
(female)

DazedandConfused HB User
Unhappy Re: Sharp pain in my ribs - what is it?

Hello everyone!:-)

When i was pregnant with my first child, in my last trimester or might be before, she was streching so much that she pulled the cartilage away from my ribs..now talk about pain...they had a name for it, but for me to remember it would be a miracle!lol...i could not sit on a bus too long or even in a car without getting so uncomfortable...i tend to carry babies high up, i am 22 weeks now, and it looks like the baby is trying to get comfy on my chest!lol..till this day i still find it uncomfortable, and they say that it will take really long for it to heal since cartilage do not regenerate itself...so i am praying that it don't act up with this one!!lol

Take Care

DazedandConfused

Old 03-15-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Hi Lynn

As well as posting on here I looked in a couple of pregnancy books. One of them, under a section on what's happening to your body around 22 - 26 weeks, says the following:

"As your baby grows, and your uterus along with him / her, they push upwards against your ribcage so that it will rise by about 5cm and your lower ribs will spread outwards. This can give you rib pain"

If you are 5'2" I guess your baby will have reached your ribcage quite early on so this definately could be the cause of your pain. Whatever I hope it's not too bad for you!

Spanish

Old 03-15-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
(female)

Tash16 HB User

Hiya i have had the same thing recently and i am just over 21weeks. I havent been to the docs or anythin i jus had an incline that it would of been something to do with the baby and goin off what some of you have said im right and there is no need for concern so thats good.

Old 03-15-2005, 02:15 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Boo Boo HB User

Gees im about 5ft 2.... getting paranod now!!

Closed Thread