It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User
Any cures for Insomnia

Hello everyone

I have to admit that today I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself. I'm now starting to actually feel physically pregnant, the skin on my tummy is getting tight, I'm starting to notice my bump, my breasts are huge and have started leaking and I get so tired doing anything remotely energetic. Add to that the fact that I just don't seem to have had the much talked about 'pregnancy bloom' - I'm still getting spots on my face and my chest and back are covered in little pimples and bumps. I guess today I'm just not enjoying being pregnant. Sigh!

Anyway the thing that is really getting me down is a total lack of sleep. I seem to wake up every couple of hours during the night. I might get up once to go to the toilet but usually I just check the clock, turn over and try to go back to sleep. I'm normally a light sleeper anyway and I'm wondering if the baby's movements are what's waking me up? Certainly those of you who saw my earlier post will know I was wrenched awake by what I think was a big kick in the ribs cage last night. Normally though I don't especially notice that it's kicking that's waking me I just don't know what it is. My tossing and turning is keeping DH awake as well and we're both getting really tired. We both work full-time and I'm struggling to stay awake and concentrate at work.

Please, please, please does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get improve my sleeping? I'd rather try something natural but I've reached the stage where I'm willing to consider sleeping pills if there are any that are safe in pregnancy.

Very grateful for any help or if anyone just wants to make me feel better by telling me I'm not the only one feeling like this!

Spanish

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User
Re: Any cures for Insomnia

Hola Spanish,

I had a very hard time sleeping early on in my pregnancy. My Ob/gyn suggested that I try an herbal compound that included both valerian and hops. It's easy to find valerian by itself but it is not as powerful as the combination. Do not use melatonin. It is a hormone and has been linked to miscarriage.

Good luck. Not getting sleep is hell. Everyone I know made jokes about how not sleeping during pregnancy is just preparation for when the baby comes. I did not find such humor to be helpful after 3 or 4 nights of next to no sleep.

Take care of yourself and sleep when you can.

-Jen

Old 03-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

Well, in all honesty....sex did it for me. LOL! (when I was having it! HA)
I got my workout in, and felt sleepy afterwards.
Try reading a newspaper, book, something. Just to relax. Sometimes a warm bath routine before bed helps too. (of course, not a HOT bath)
When you try to "force" yourself to sleep, that makes you stay awake longer. How far along are you? I am at 33 weeks, and can empathize with your discomfort which also causes lack of sleep. I know I have been keeping my DH up at night too. Between my runs to the bathroom every two hours, or just tossing and turning to try and get comfy. I finally decided that if I can't sleep, I go out on the couch and sleep out there. Otherwise I was worrying about keeping him up, which made me stay awake more........YIKES! Hang in there! I would talk to your doc before taking ANYTHING...whether it's herbal or not. You never know what are in certain things that can cause complications. What's good for someone else might not be good for you. Everyone is different....
Good luck!!

Old 03-13-2005, 02:22 PM   #4
(female)

JAMIE0512 HB User

Try warm milk, it should def help!

Old 03-13-2005, 03:29 PM   #5

Alleyne HB User

I would say try a glass of wine. Yep, wine. That is what my doctor told a group of expecting mommies, in a class that he holds monthly, if we were having trouble sleeping.

Actually he said... "If you call me at 3am in the morning because you can't sleep... and it makes you feel better because I am not sleeping either... excellent... but I am going to tell you to try a glass of wine."

Old 03-13-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
(female)

JAMIE0512 HB User

Yes, That Is True, Wine Contains Tyromine, Which Is The Same Ingredient In Warm Milk That May Cause Drowsiness In People. Im Sure A Glass Of Wine Wont Hurt But Id Rather Go With The Warm Milk, Its Def Safe And Has The Same Effect
Good Luck And Happy Sleep!

Old 03-14-2005, 12:05 PM   #7
(female)

JAMIE0512 HB User

I have a correction from my previos post.... I made a mistake and said that wine and warm milk both contained tyramine. I looked it up at school today and the ingredient in warm milk is actually tryptophan that causes the sleepiness! Sorry about that!

Old 03-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

I've been having a lot of sleepless nights lately, and what works for me is to get out of bed and go lay in a different room. Sometimes I sleep on the futon in the babies' room, sometimes I go to the guest room, and sometimes I zone out in front of the tv. Usually it's the tv, because half of my sleeplessness seems to be due to hunger, and the tv is right near the kitchen. It seems I can;t make it through the night without a snack. Last night I ate a bowl of cereal at midnight before bed, but by 4:20am I had to get up and eat some yogurt, an apple and some peanut butter.

Even if it's not hunger that's keeping you awake, I still think that going to another place to sleep will help. It stops me from thrashing around in bed where all I'd do is focus on how I can't get to sleep.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:27 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies.

I think lawgirl might have hit the nail on the head by suggesting eating. I have noticed that a few times when I wake up in the night I feel quite hungry and I remembered a doctor telling my once before that if your blood sugar level drops too low that can disturb your sleep. I have suffered in the past with low blood sugar levels (fainting in the mornings etc) so that might be the problem. We tend to eat quite early in the evening so the last two nights I had a small bowl of cereal just before I went to bed. Although I still didn't sleep right through the night, I did wake up less and I did feel more rested in the morning. If it gets any worse I'll make sure I talk to my midwife before I try anything medicinal or herbal.

Thanks again. Spanish

Old 03-15-2005, 09:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

JodyC HB User

My doctor suggested Benadryl. I would consult your doctor first, but if you really need a good night sleep after a few sleepness nights, one Benadryl does it for me. Also, somebody else just told me about the wine. As for me, I'm going to try eating first :-)

Old 03-15-2005, 11:32 AM   #11
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

My midwife said that if I was really sleep deprived, I could take an Ambien to get some sleep. Also said that a Benadryl would work too. Fortunately, I've been sleeping like a rock...here's my secret: go to Costco or BJ's or Sam's Club or whatever big wholesale warehouse kinda place is near you and buy a memory foam mattress topper - I think the brand I got was Dream Sleeper, but I'm sure there are others. A queen-sized one was about $80 US. This thing is AWESOME - I mean like you will NOT want to get out of your bed! It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO comfortable!!! I was telling my midwife about it and she said that softer surfaces are much better for sleeping for pregnant women (usually if you have back pain or something, a firmer mattress is better, but not the case when pg) - she said sometimes women are more comfortable sleeping on the couch for that reason. Well, screw the couch - I want my bed. I'm telling you, if you get one of these you'll sleep like a baby. They're that good. It's like a 2.5 inch foam rectangle that goes over your mattress - there's a soft cottony zipper cover thing that it goes in.

Closed Thread