It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #1

Criss_tal HB User
Kind of gross question

I just found out I was pregnant and have been seeking a lot of questions on what to expect. I have heard that when you go into labor you...umm...poop because they give you stuff to relax your muscles. Is that true?

Old 03-13-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
(female)

Kimberly HB User
Re: Kind of gross question

When I had my daughter back in July 2002, I ended up pooping on the table

The contractions were coming so hard that I didn't even realize what I was doing. The nurses and doctors were fine with it. I know it's embarassing but I definitely wasn't the first mom to do it and I'm sure they see it quite a bit.

Try not to worry about it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

Some women do poo, I know I did. It was a rabbit size pellet! My DH was laughing so hard at it. I didn't even know I had done it. I also urinated a bit. It's no biggie! Docs and nurses see this all the time. Don't worry about it!

Old 03-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

You don't poop because of muscle relaxers you poop because you're pushing. You're pushing with the same muscles in the same area. If anything pooping may help relieve a bit of pressure. You won't notice it and the doctors and nurses are quite prepared for this. It happens to lots of people. They whisk it away before it ever becomes an issue.

Old 03-13-2005, 02:18 PM   #5
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChicopea
You don't poop because of muscle relaxers you poop because you're pushing. You're pushing with the same muscles in the same area. If anything pooping may help relieve a bit of pressure. You won't notice it and the doctors and nurses are quite prepared for this. It happens to lots of people. They whisk it away before it ever becomes an issue.
100%TRUE My first and third babys I didnt poop but the second one I did. I was so worried about it even when I did it but they didnt care at all. Now I dont care if I do or not. If theres something that keeps you very regular take it just before your due date it helped me before. I eat sharp cheddar cheese weird I know but it makes me go I eat it every day and It helped 2 times.

Old 03-13-2005, 02:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Yes, you poop because of pushing so hard. Years bac, they gave you an enema first, now, they just let you do it I guess! My hospital also catheterizes (sp?) you so that you don't pee on them. I also think at that point, you have no shame, you just want that baby out!!!!!

Old 03-13-2005, 04:51 PM   #7

Jupiters008 HB User

oh my! very interesting , i just read it to my SO --no one ever told me about this lol

Old 03-13-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I was questioning my 2 friends about this very question over the weekend. They both poo'd on the table...both said it was a really small amount...not a full bowel movement. (That's good to know!!!...still doesn't ease me 100%, but it's better than the picture I painted in my head).

Both also told me about the catheter (sp). They both had epidurals & said the catheter is in your urinary tract because it masks the pain of contractions and it masks the feeling of having to urinate...you would likely wet the bed & not know it without the catheter. They take it out when the baby is actually coming.

Remember...the above is info that was told to me...I've got no firsthand experience yet...just passing on what I know.
Gayle

Old 03-13-2005, 06:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

OOppps...this might be obvious to you, but wanted to make sure I was clear in what I wrote in 2nd paragraph...the catheter DOES NOT mask the contractions & feeling of urination...it's the EPIDURAL that masks the contractions & feeling of urination. Catheter keeps you from wetting the bed...you can't feel urination because of the epidural.
Gayle

Old 03-13-2005, 06:28 PM   #10
Inactive

yamamama HB User

I didnt have a bowel movement while in labor. But I had to pee sooo bad it hurt my feelings. It was time for me to push and I told the doc I needed to get up to pee and she said "no way, just go right there". So I did,and alot!!! My OB,nurse and Hubby all chuckled but no one really cared and I know I surely felt better getting that out of the way. Thinking back to it,I laugh...I mean,when else can you get away with being so careless about something like peeing or pooping? Trust me,they have seen it all and then some..they arent surprised in the least.

Last edited by Emily'smama; 03-13-2005 at 06:29 PM.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily'smama
I didnt have a bowel movement while in labor. But I had to pee sooo bad it hurt my feelings. It was time for me to push and I told the doc I needed to get up to pee and she said "no way, just go right there". So I did,and alot!!! My OB,nurse and Hubby all chuckled but no one really cared and I know I surely felt better getting that out of the way. Thinking back to it,I laugh...I mean,when else can you get away with being so careless about something like peeing or pooping? Trust me,they have seen it all and then some..they arent surprised in the least.
lol I would have been like "dang well at least hand me a cup or something to do it in."

Old 03-13-2005, 07:30 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I didn't go on the table, and I was in the delivery room when my sister-in-law and best friend had babies. My sister-in-law did poop, put they cleaned it up before anyone really knew it, and my best friend didn't poop for both of her babies but she thought she was...she said she felt like she had when she was pushing, and kept asking us to check for her, LOL. I know a few days before I actually went into labor I was having ALOT more bowel movements than I normally did...your body knows when it's getting close to delivery day and tends to start clearing things out naturally, which is why they don't do the enemas anymore. But even if everything isn't cleared out, like everyone said, it's very common and the nurses take care of it very quickly.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:28 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Other than not being able to eat and drink this is what I am most worried about!

Old 03-13-2005, 09:02 PM   #14

FaithfulyWaiting HB User

Oh my gosh... this is news to me *grimaces* HOW EMBARRASING!!!!

Old 03-14-2005, 03:35 AM   #15
(female)

tarrece HB User

truthfully, it sounds weird and maybe a bit gross, but if you think about it,whats more exciting, poo'in on the table or poppin out ur beautiful baby?lol i laughed when i saw all this because the other day, me and my bf were watchin "baby story" and he goes "wow with them pushing like that...dont they S***" i was like....umm idk?

Closed Thread