It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 06:09 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

sweetlips1984 HB User
need advice

well I'm not sure if I've come to the right place but I need some advice from others....I just recently found out I'm 6 weeks pregnant with my first child....this was a shock for my bf and I because I was on the pill and we werent really expecting it but we are keeping the baby and are happy..but the big issue is where we are going to live...see he lives 45 mins away from where I live all my family is here and all his is there...I dont want to move there and he doesnt want to move here but yet we wanna be together....my reason for not wanting to move there is my father is very sick with emphysema and I want him in my childs life as much as possible and both my parents dont drive but his parents drive...so we are kinda confused on what to do about that issue...then my next concern is I dont have a family doctor..Ive been trying to get one for about 6 years not but its useless in this town so if anyone out there has gotten pregnant without a family doctor can you please tell me what my next step would be??? you can email your advice to [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ] thank you

Last edited by moderator2; 03-13-2005 at 06:29 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 03-14-2005, 04:55 AM   #2
(female)

hreiter HB User
Re: need advice

Well I am not sure what kind of advice to give you for the living situation... I was just wondering how old you were? DO you still live at home?

As far as the family doctor thing, I don't have a family doctor either... you need to go to an OBGYN... Since you are on the pill, I would think that you have one in order to get the pill....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 05:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

You can get birth control pills from anywhere. Family physicians, universities, teen pregnancy centers, ect. An obgyn doesn't have to perform the pap smear. You do need to find an obstetrician though. They specialize in caring for pregnant women and delivering babies.

Neither you or your boyfriend have a place of your own? Where ever you decide to live, plan on seeing a doctor that lives in that town. Personally, I'd just live where ever I felt was best for the baby. I wouldn't base it on my own wants. I'm in a similar situation and have decided to move home and take care of my baby until the father finishes college and can move back home. We live 3 hours apart and it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for my son.

Old 03-14-2005, 05:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

What about finding a place half way in between? If you're only 45 minutes apart, that would be about a 20 minute drive to each grandparents' house and you and your bf can make the drive out to your parents' house if they don't drive.

As far as a doctor, you really need to find an OB/GYN soon. It is important to get good prenatal care from the beginning.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
(female)

tomuchbagange HB User

yeah, 45 minutes is not far at all. I guess it all depends on if you can drive. I think a decideing factor should be where you both work or go to school, and where you can afford to live, not where your parents live.

I just moved to a new city then got pregnant. I have insurance (HMO) so I had to just pick one out of the book and called to see if they excepted new patients. I don't have a family doctor here either.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
(female)

youngmommy HB User

if you have insurance, just take tomuchbagange's advice.
if you don't have any insurance, then you will need help with the cost of your medical bills most likely, and depending on your income, medi-cal or medi-care can take care of all or part of your medical expenses. you can apply for medi-cal (that's what it's called here in CA) or medi-care through the state welfare office, just look it up in your yellow pages.
it was very easy for me- i made an appt. at the clinic near my apartment, and when i went in and took my pregnancy test, there was a lady from the welfare office there to help me fill out all the forms and help me pick my doctor.

Closed Thread