It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 05:13 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User
Please share your scheduled induction stories

I'm scheduled to be induced with these boys sometime Wednesday night, 3/16. I will be 36 weeks. (The induction is because the babies share a placenta and are at risk for twin issues- long story, but the babies are both healthy and doctors think at this point they are safer on the outside than on the inside.) Both are head down, and at my last internal exam at 33 weeks I was 2cm dilated, 70-80% effaced, and presenting baby was at -1 to 0 station. If my feelings are any indication, I definitely think my cervix has dilated even more since then, because the presenting baby feels SO much lower than before, and my cervix constantly hurts (the joys of pregnancy, eh?).

My paperwork says I'm scheduled for a "Cervidil induction." I know cervidil is the prostaglandin gel they use to ripen the cervix, but will they necessarily need to use it if my cervix has dilated and effaced even more, or is it possible they could skip the cervidil and start the pitocin right away? If they do use the cervidil, do they use it for a set amount of time, or do they just check every so often and see if the cervix is soft?

What was your induction experience like? How long did it take? How was your cervix in the weeks leading up to the induction? Thanks for sharing your story!

Last edited by Lawgirl; 03-14-2005 at 05:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Re: Please share your scheduled induction stories

hey girl, me again,

i am set up for the same thing, the gel stuff. however, my doc said that if i have a lot of uterine activity this week that i should get my cervix checked out on tuesday to see if i need to come in that night for the gel or come in on the 17th and just get the induction going with pitocin. i will tell you right now that you are way way way more effaced than i am. i am at 2 cm and 20% effaced. so i wonder what they are thinking in your situation as well.

as for my story, i think you know some of it, but i really don't want to get into it. the long and the short of it is that NOTHING went the way is was supposed to. NOTHING worked right. actually i am getting messed up. they tried to induce me 2 days past my DD, and it literally did not work. the gel did nothing, the pitocin did nothing. not even one good contraction. so they sent me home, where i went almost 2 weeks past my DD, my water broke finally and i ended up getting that uterine infection that they tell you is real bad to get----- 31 hours later my son was born, but in very poor condition and i was very sick too. moral of the story is; be agressive with your own health care and life, you know your body better than anyone and if you don't like what is going on CHANGE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my son and i almost didn't make it because the doctor i had at the time seemed to have no idea what to do in my situation, and i could see that 15 hours into the whole thing. i was stupid to not stand up for my son and my rights.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 07:37 AM   #3
(female)

curious1979 HB User

LawGirl,

My daughter who will be 3 at the end of the month was a week overdue. I went to the OB for a checkup on the 27th of March and the Dr. said he wanted to induce the following day. I told him that I wasn't sure about the 28th because that was my birthday. (didn't think the lil' one wanted to share a b-day with mommy) He told me that most first time mom's are in labor for at least 24 hrs. I agreed and went in 7am on the 28th to be induced. I wasn't prereg'd so I had to do that. I finally got into the room, changed into the hospital gown, went to the bathroom and they started pitocin around 8:30am. In the beginning I was dialated 1-2 cm. The contractions started off right away, but they were not that bad. Family and friends came in and out and I was still lightly contracting. Here and there I would get up to use the restroom. After 8 hours, around 4:30-5 pm, my contractions were unbearable. I requested to have "something" for the pain. They injected my IV with a med that I can't remember the name of. They said it would take the edge of the contractions and let me get rest in between them. The only thing it did was make me feel like I have been out all night drinking with the girls. I was so dizzy and the room was spinning...I couldn't keep my eyes open. It wore off quickly, thank God. I was still in so much pain. I requested an epidural. I got one in the middle of a contraction, so I didn't feel the needle. The relief was immediate. Around 11:40pm I was ready to push. Still couldn't feel my legs, so Hubby held them up for me. I started pushing and Little Raegan was here at 11:57 pm. She couldn't wait just a few more minutes to have her own b-day. hehe. After pushing, the epidural was wearing off. I had to have 8 stitches due to tearing, I felt that..wasn't comfy...but I didn't want another injection of the epidural...I had to pee, and I wanted to get up and go on my own. After being stitched up, I got to use the restroom. I suggest having a water bottle handy when going to the bathroom...squirt while you are going...won't burn as much. I went to my room and got to keep Baby girl with me all night. I also had to stay on Pitocin until the released me, I was bleeding too heavily and the pitocin helped with that. All in all it wasn't a bad experience. I am due April 29th with baby girl #2, and I am looking forward to it again. Good Luck!! Hope this gives you an idea of what goes on.

Old 03-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
(female)

tomatoes49 HB User

i was 36 weeks
my little girl was very low
i was about two centermeters and 80 - 90 % effaced
i was induced because my previouos labor was so fast they were nervous i would nt make it to hospital in time ( i went from 2 to 8 centermeters in less than an hour the first time whole thing was just under 2 hours )
they started potocin at 8 in the morning and broke my water at about noon
the contractions were un bareable i asked for pain med
i got demeral , i didnt realy like it , made me fast asleep in between contractions wich was only like 2 minutes i would be wide awake then fast asleep , it made me lose sence of time , anyway then i got epidural around 1 and had the little lady around two so actual pain was just less than two hours

for me it was cake
i think you have to just be confident , and go with it , the more you fight it the longer it takes

Closed Thread