It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
(female)

curious1979 HB User
preterm babies?

Hello ladies, just wondering if any of you have had preterm babies. What was there weight and health? How long did they have to stay in the hospital? I will be 34 weeks, Friday and I have this feeling that this little one will be here by the end of the month or the first of next month. That would put me at 35-36 weeks. I have been having contractions and lots of pelvic/rectal pressure. Just curious. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 10:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User
Re: preterm babies?

I hope you don't mind me answering, because I don't have experience in this, but for a long time we thought these babies might arrive really early, so I've read quiet a bit, met with the neonatologists, toured the NICU, and I think I have some good information.

Everything I've read indicates that babies born beyond 32 weeks have about a 98%+ survival rate, with a less than 3% chance of disability related to the early birth. One of the doctors at the practice I go to is kind of an expert in multiples and preterm birth (he's often on the birth shows featuring mothers pregnant with higher-order multiples), and these are the numbers that he uses. Basically, the long term outcome is the same for a 35 week baby as it is for a full term baby.

The short term, on the other hand, is a little tougher. I don't have a story to share yet, but as of right now we are expecting our boys to be about 5.5-6lbs and about 6.5lbs at 36 weeks. The doctors don;t expect them to stay in the NICU at all, but they keep stressing that there is really no way to know for sure. We just have to be prepared for anything.

I hope you can keep your little one cooking a little longer, but if not the odds are really good for you to have a very healthy baby.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #3
(female)

tomatoes49 HB User

after or at 36 weeks babies usually are not concidered by doctors as pre-term
i had both my children at 36 weeks and they were 7 pds 8oz and 7pds 6 oz
that just seems to be how long i carry
my babies were and are still perfectly healthy
i'll be induced this time around at 36 weeks also because of other annoying health problems i'm having not my baby
my babies fine
i was told at 31 weeks she was at 4 1/2 pounds and at the time my health
was real poor and they said if they had to deliever then , they would , because she is doing so well
thank God i'm doing better
its not that i dont want my baby here
its just that i want to be healthy enough to enjoy her being here
i'm rambling , dont worry i'm sure what ever happens you and your baby will be fine , if there was anything i'm sure your doctor would have expressed some concerns by now

Old 03-14-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
(female)

sam0831 HB User

my baby girl was born at 36 weeks - and she was 7lbs 10 oz. She was perfectly healthy and did not have to stay an extra day in the hospital - only little problem she has had is starting solids late due to immature reflexes and she is a few weeks behind in rolling over and sitting up but i know full term babies that are a little behind too. I am sure your baby will just fine - good luck

Old 03-14-2005, 07:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

My daughter was born at 36 weeks as well and weighed 6.11. She had no problems at all. But the longer they stay in there the better...I had gone into labor at 32 weeks but thankfully they were able to stop it and I was on restricted rest...not quite bed rest but the next step from it...luckily we had a few more weeks to mature everything before the delivery. Goodluck.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Have you mentioned your contractions and pelvic/rectal pressure to your doctor? It is better for your baby to you can prevent preterm labor. While the other posters are correct, your baby has an extremely good chance of being healthy if born early, there are still things your doctor can do to help your baby get an even better chance by staying in longer. If you are having contractions (even Braxton-Hicks), particularly along with other possible preterm labor symptoms, you need to call your doctor immediately. Is your doctor aware of your symptoms? Have they checked your cervix?

Old 03-15-2005, 07:12 AM   #7
(female)

curious1979 HB User

Oh yes, I have been going to the OB every week since Janurary 12th. Dr. put me on bedrest. Knows all about contractions and pressure. She checks me just about every week and nothing is wrong...no dialation. This is my second baby, and all the pressure is what I was feeling the last week of my last pregnancy. I have also been to the hospital 3x's and nothing is wrong except my gallbladder...going to have to have it taken out.

TO all the ladies that responded....THANK YOU for your stories!!

Old 03-15-2005, 09:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I will also be 34 weeks this weekend. This is my 2nd baby too. I have the same things going on with Braxton-Hicks several times a day (and they wake me up at night too), abdominal pain (not severe pain, but enough to be sore and uncomfortable and keep me up at night), and pressure down there. My cervix is still closed and my doctor is not worried about too much about preterm labor. She told me these things are common in subsequent pregnancies.

Closed Thread