It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
(female)

LVNMYLIFE HB User
Red face Hydrocodone and Pregnant

Can anyone give me info. on this... I am 38 weeks pregnant and have been on Hydro the entire pregnancy. I currently take 8 10mg pills a day (I have Rhematoid Arthritis) I have a 17 month old and a 5 YO - I never took hydro while pregnant with them. I am scared my baby will have issues when she is born... the Dr.'s say that there is nothing to indicate that she will have any problems but the "benefits outweigh the risks" this freaks me out.. I would like to hear first hand from anybody who has or knows someone that has been in this situation... Please please please!!!

Old 03-14-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Re: Hydrocodone and Pregnant

I have been on Codiene through most of this PG... my baby seems fine. I have a herniated disk in my back and terrible sciatic nerve pain. I do know that large doses near delivery can cause depressed breathing in a newborn, and your baby can have withdrawals if you've been on it for a long time. My dose has been very low (I've tried to keep it around 60 mgs a day... enough to reduce the pain if not actually get rid of it) and monitored by my doc, and narcotics are quite safe used as directed during pregnancy. Definitely safer than other RA medications. But I have a 20 month old too, and can't take care of him without it. I couldn't imagine having to do it with RA! I have a strong family history of RA on both sides, and pray to God that I never get it. It's something I wouldn't wish on anyone!!!!

I have been weaning myself down the last couple of days, cutting my doses in half and preparing to get it out of my system at least a few days before delivery, (I'm 37 1/2 weeks) just because I'd rather have minor withdrawals now than baby have them after birth... my doc said not to worry about the effects of withdrawals on the baby, she should be just fine as my dosing was so low. And even if your dose is high, it's better to wean down a bit before delivery so your baby's not cold turkey-ing in the first few days of life.

Good luck!!! I think you will be okay, especially if your doc doesn't seem concerned!
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 03-14-2005 at 04:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
(female)

hshaw81 HB User

Hey I had to take hydrocodone with my first pregnancy because of my migraine h/a. The doctors all assured me that everything would be okay and my doughter is two and has never showed signs of the medication bothering her. I am about 9 wks now and also have to take the same meds and it seems to be fine for the baby. For the migraines hydrocodone is the only thing I can take. Hop e everything is well for you ladies. Good Luck on your delivery in the next couple of weeks.

Old 03-14-2005, 11:30 PM   #4
(female)

LVNMYLIFE HB User

Shaw...

How much were you taking while pregnant and did you have to take it everyday?

Old 05-23-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
(female)

Staceycat HB User

Hi..I am a new member as of today!! And am taking Hydrocodone APAP 10 mg. one to 2 a day for herniated discs...just found out I am pregnant....have never been taking this while pregnant...and of course have been concerned and have not yet made my first OB appt. Was just hoping you could let me know how everything came out?? I haven't yet found any detrimental things about taking it....of course I will ask the Dr. when I go, but am worried I won't be able to take the back pain during pregnancy without it, if he says to...thanks for listening...

Old 05-23-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
(female)

All Star Mom HB User

Hello there, and welcome to the boards. I too am also on hydrocodone and am 11 weeks pregnant. I totally freaked out when I got pregnant and realized that I would not be able to come off of this medication easily. My doctor also reassured me that peopel take this type of med all the time. I am currently weining myself down. I am taking Norco 10/ 350 about 6-8 per day. The main thing my Dr. told me is that the best thing for me to do is wein off completely before the baby is born, since we all know what withdrawal is like, would we want our newborn to go through that??? Of course not, so now I am taking Vicodin 5's (half the dosage of the Norco), and the taper shcedule she gave me is 2 tablets 4 times a day for a month, and then 2 tablets 3 times a day for a month, and then 2 tablets twice a day for amonth and then for the final month take as needed. She assured me that the baby should not suffer any ill effects from this medicine. Which is such a good thing to know, because there are some of us who truly cannot function or run a normal life without this medicine. I hope all works out fine for you, maybe we can keep in touch, and let each other know whats going on with our pregnancy. Just don't worry yourself sick about this, all these doctors can't be wrong. Take care of yourself and your baby, that is most important.

Old 05-23-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVNMYLIFE
Can anyone give me info. on this... I am 38 weeks pregnant and have been on Hydro the entire pregnancy. I currently take 8 10mg pills a day (I have Rhematoid Arthritis) I have a 17 month old and a 5 YO - I never took hydro while pregnant with them. I am scared my baby will have issues when she is born... the Dr.'s say that there is nothing to indicate that she will have any problems but the "benefits outweigh the risks" this freaks me out.. I would like to hear first hand from anybody who has or knows someone that has been in this situation... Please please please!!!
I never heard of Hydro coming in 10 MG. I thought 250, 500 or 750. Anyway I took 6 500 MG Vicodins (generic is hydro) when i first found out i was pregnant from a tooth ache. I was honest with my dr. and she told me that i should be fine. She said that if you take them every day the baby with be born with withdrawals and it's not pretty. If you have been taking them as long as you say, then you know what it's like when you don't have the pills in your system and it's not pretty. Hopefully these pills are prescribed and they tell you to take 8 pills a day. If a baby is born with withdrawal symptoms they will look into it and sometimes if they want can call CPS to review. This happened to a friend of mine. Good luck to you .

Old 06-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
(female)

Staceycat HB User
Talking Re: Hydrocodone and Pregnant

HI ALLSTARMOM!! I love your sign name by the way!! TY for responding to my post!! I hope you don't mind but I added you to my buddy list..please add me if you like..I would love to keep in contact with you during all of this!! I am only 7 weeks and haven't yet gone to the OB..this is my 5th..so I am in no big hurry!! LOL!! I will go in about 2 weeks..

Thank you for giving me peace of mind..I had an idea from other sources that it wasn't bad to take Norco...but was, as you know, still paranoid..and even with Dr. ok, will prolly still have that niggling in the back of my mind, as you would always worry during a pregnancy about anything we do or eat or take!!

I have only been taking 1 to 2 a day...and will do the weaning off...there are so many different Dr's opinions regarding this, most I have seen and heard have been giving the OK for this, and I am finding that alot of older docs, say no, but younger ones, say yes. My main concern was if there would be any deformities, physical and/or mental?? My youngest son, is 15 months and I was taking this while breastfeeding and he was fine...but have never taken during pregnancy...I could really use some support..I hope we can be that for each other!!

Take care of you and your little one....hope to hear from you soon!!

Stacey

Closed Thread