It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
(male)

Enc0unter HB User
Breast Soreness 3 weeks before period?

Hi, ok here is the problem... my girlfriend has about 3 weeks until her next period. Last night she was complaining of breast soreness. This kind of worried me due to the fact that it is so soon before her period. She usually has PMS 1 to 2 weeks before her period that has this symptom.

The thing is... she started taking antibiotics for strep throat during her last period. The antibiotic was Augmentin which CAN affect birth control, so say some people despite ACTUAL proof. Anyways, we had sex without a condom while she was on her period. She just finished a month of mircette which she took perfectly. So here are my questions...

1)Do the tender breasts signify pregnancy?(Most websites say the first sign is a missed period... which she has not. But the timing of the tenderness, 3 weeks b4 period, seems odd to me. Are there any factors that could cause this besides pregnancy?

2)Even if antibiotics affect birth control.. would they affect the effectiveness even if she is on her period and taking the inactive pills?(I would presume not since the antibiotics affect the transfer and absorbtion of estrogen from the pill, i think... :-P ).

3)How likely is it to have a period even if there was conception during the cycle of?

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: Breast Soreness 3 weeks before period?

If she was taking her pills last month and only started the antibiotics during the period week, her pill should be effective. This month, you should probably use a back-up method of birth control. If you only had unprotected sex while she was on her period after taking the pill all month, the chances of her getting pregnant from that are very small. If she is having "symptoms" 3 weeks prior to her next period, they are probably not related to pregnancy anyway, since ovulation doesn't occur until 2 weeks prior and that is when she can get pregnant. That is not ALWAYS the case, but the odds are in your favor. Keep in mind, though that sperm can live up to 5-8 days, so you don't want to have unprotected sex anytime around ovulation (14 days after the start of her period).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 09:52 PM   #3
(male)

Enc0unter HB User

Thanks for the reply. Could it be possible that the breast tenderness is a result from conception from the previous cycle despite her having a "normal period". Also if it isn't pregnancy, or PMS, what could it be? I can't really find anything on the internet that would explain this. She has been on birth control for 4 years now, so I doubt it could be of BC, could it?

Last edited by Enc0unter; 03-14-2005 at 10:10 PM.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I'm not sure what else causes breast tenderness, but if she is really concerned and something doesn't seem right to her, she should schedule an appointment with her doctor and get it checked out. If the antibiotics decreased the effectiveness of her pill (they can but don't always, which is why you need a back-up method this month), her body could be adjusting to that. Coming off of the pill takes a toll on a woman's body. It is possible that it has something to do with the combination of antibiotics and her pill, but I don't know much about that.

Old 03-15-2005, 07:04 AM   #5
Veteran

Bella535 HB User

I know that even before I knew I could possibly be pregnant my breasts swelled up instantly, it doesnt mean that your gf is pregnant. sometimes breasts just hurt cuz they are growing or something of the sort.

Closed Thread