It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User
Question Stripping the Membranes Question.....

I'm currently just past 38 weeks and am basically a miserable ball of hurting human flesh. LOL....and my appointment is tomorrow.

My question (or should I say questions) is do most doctors offer to strip your membranes at 38/39 weeks or do you have to ask?

I've been having loads of cramping (No contractions) And am slowly losing my plug so I think I just need a slightly larger nudge than walking/sex can provide. (And if I weren't in so much pain/miserable I probably wouldn't even worry about it)...

To those who may have had it done in the past.....how bad did it hurt and how long did it take for you to go into labor?

If it helps last week I was at 2cm and 50%

Thanks

Old 03-15-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
(female)

LVNMYLIFE HB User
Re: Stripping the Membranes Question.....

Dakota...

Is this your first baby? I ask because they tend to go over. I would NEVER recommend having the membranes stripped, it hurts like hell and doesn't really get ANYTHING going, labor is natural and you can drink all the tea, walk all the miles, have all the sex and it will happen when it happens. My Dr. strips the membranes, that is part of her plan, I only let her do that with the first and had I known it would have done nothing I would have NEVER let it happen.. I didn't let it happen with the 2nd and I won't with this one either, I too am 39 weeks... It just HURTS... I would have rather delivered my child 3 times then have had the membranes stripped.. Of course this is my experience and everyone has there own... I consider myself to have a pretty high tolerence for pain, I delivered w/o an epidual and the membrane stripping RRREEEAAALLLYYY bothered me. I say sit tight, talk to your Dr. they may have a "nicer" way of doing it now, my first was born 7 years ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 04:22 PM   #3

jessi0198 HB User

My friend had her membranes stripped at 37 weeks, and she went into labor that night and delivered the next morning. She said it didn't really hurt or bother her to have it done.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
(female)

JAMIE0512 HB User

To me this was the most painful experience!!! My doctor did it to me when i was due... i was 90% effaced and 2 cm dilated. It hurt like nothing i ever felt before and it didnt help at all!!! i still didnt go into labor for another 2 weeks!!! everyone was convinced i would be early since i was dilated and effaced and losing the plug, the md thought it would def do it, but boy was she mistaken. its very painful and i wouldnt recommend anyone request it!!!

Old 03-16-2005, 06:14 PM   #5
(female)

smango HB User
Lightbulb Re: Stripping the Membranes Question.....

I had my membranes stripped at 39 weeks with my first baby - it wasn't that painful, a little uncomfortable though. I went into labor that night and had my son early the next morning. I'm pregnant with the second one now and if I'm very uncomfortable in that last week I would not hesitate to have my membrane stripped again!

Last edited by smango; 03-16-2005 at 06:15 PM.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #6
(female)

taberlan HB User

what do they do to strip your membranes? I have had 4 children and never had this done. what does it involve?

Old 03-16-2005, 08:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

Well had my appointment today.

Ended up NOT requesting it because my doctor was just...well....I think she seriously got up on the wrong side of the bed today and I just wasn't comfortable with it....so if nothing happens this week (I started having cramping/contractions last night...but ended by morning) I'll ask next week......

Old 03-16-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taberlan
what do they do to strip your membranes? I have had 4 children and never had this done. what does it involve?
Basically they seperate the amniotic sac from the opening of the cervix?...I think that's right.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:13 PM   #9
(female)

LVNMYLIFE HB User

Just goes to show... different strokes for different folks... I wouldn't do it again if they paid me... my guess is it will never work twice...

Closed Thread