It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 05:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User
The Clothes We Wear

I'm now officially in maternity clothes...and realizing this can get expensive if I'm not careful. I have a neighbor I'm borrowing a few things from, but most of her stuff is off-season from my pregnancy.

Does anyone have any cute ideas or outfits they can describe where you are wearing Husband's clothing or something non-maternity that works well with a belly? Where are you shopping for maternity clothes? What are some clothing staple items (maternity or not) you cannot live without? What's worth the investment?

I have a friend who REFUSED to wear anything maternity. She wore her husband's clothes and lots of sweats. Honestly, she looked terrible. She thought she looked good & bragged she got through it without any new clothes. She looked like a boy, and she looked really dumpy. It's because of her that I'm embracing maternity clothes, though I'm willing to be creative.
Gayle

Old 03-17-2005, 06:16 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cdenk HB User
Re: The Clothes We Wear

I wear my hubby's jeans and for work I wear his dress shirts with a tank top underneath, so it looks good.
I have bought several "lots" of meternity clothes off of e-bay. I spend $75 on 113 pieces of spring/summer clothes and $50 on 45 pieces of just summer work stuff. So I'm set, shouldn't need anything except some comfy shoes....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
Inactive

yamamama HB User

I have gone everyplace from salvation army to old navy and get some really good deals any place I have gone. I have had a summer pregnancy and now a winter pregnancy,so I have a wide variety of maternity clothes(I plan on selling on ebay when I am done with them). I have found everyday cute tops for under $10,jeans are a little more costly at about $20. If you are going to be pregnant through the summer,I suggest a couple sundresses. I lived in one sundress the last 2 monthes of my first pregnancy. Elastic on my stomach becomes painful the futher along you are and it's nice to feel like your in jammies but wearing something pretty. I have never worn my husband clothes while pregnant,just because I want to look nice and I dont feel good about myself wearing them. I dont work so I didnt need any dress clothes,but I still have a nice pair of slacks and a few nice dresses because of weddings I have gone to while pregnant. Best place I have found things is at target and kohls. Watch the sunday paper for sales at kohls,they have GREAT sales..sometimes 75% off. I got alot of cute stuff there after christmas and didnt spend too much. Walmart has a couple of things,but not a big maternity dept(and I dont have energy to go looing there anymore-not knowing if I will even find anything). Specialty shops are pricey but have cute things...I would save going there only if you need something extra special(unless you dont mind spending the money). I got two pair of maternity jeans on ebay and only spent $5 plus $5 shipping...definetly worth it. Hope these idease help some

Old 03-17-2005, 06:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

The problem with non-maternity shirts is they ride up in the front, and are alot longer in the back (that goes for dresses too). That just looks sloppy in my opinion. Ebay is a great suggestion, and I bought a good pair of jeans at target for my 2nd pregnancy. Im really picky about my appearance, so pregnancy was a huge challenge. I mostly shopped target (did you know they have maternity stuff in the clearance racks??) got a few work items at JC Penny's and our old navy didnt have maternity when I was pregnant but their stuff is really cute, and not too bad price-wise. I know it seems like a huge waste of money, because you are so limited on how much time you wear the clothes, but a few inexpensive staples can go a long way. I had jeans, black pants, 2 dress shirts, 2 casual shirts, and one dress (i hate wearing dresses when pregnant though).

I hated those clothes so much by the time i had my baby--I was sick of them!! Had I worn any non-maternity clothing during my pregnancy, I know I wouldnt want to have anything to do with them after having the baby. I use ebay alot for clothes for the kids--I think it would be a wonderful way to get some inexpensive maternity clothes. I wish I had thought of it when I was pregnant!

Old 03-17-2005, 07:42 AM   #5
(female)

redstarr987 HB User

Gap has maternity online. They have good deals sometimes. Old navy always has cheap stuff. Motherhood has a lot of different styles. Ebay is probably your best bet still.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I went to a motherhood maternity store and found some pants that worked. Ordered a lot of cute blouses from them online, on clearance. Until then I wore low rider jeans/khakis as long as I could. I had about 4 pairs of work pants (khakis) and two pairs of jeans.

I shopped Target, Old Navy, Kohls and Penneys. I didn't want to spend a lot of money either 'cuz it was going to be such a short amount of time to wear the outfits. I also found some front panel khakis and jeans at Kmart real cheap on clearence, which I ended up wearing exclusively toward the end.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

Hi gals,

My favorite outfit is my birthday suit but as I teach at a public school, I am discouraged from wearing it.

I agree that JC Penney has a bunch of reasonably priced things. I also found a great pair of pants at LL Bean. They are just their regular plain front leggings. I confess that I have swiped a couple of my husband's oxford cloth shirts ( He has a pink one which looks really girly on him so I took it.) I wear this with a white maternity t-shirt (real cheap from Old Navy) underneath and the LL Bean pants. I make it more feminine by wearing funky earrings and nice (But comfortable shoes).

Good luck. If you find something that works, buy a few!

-Jen

Old 03-17-2005, 09:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

I am 31 weeks pregnant and have managed to go this far w/o spending over 130.00 on maternity clothes. I bought two pairs of jeans and two sweaters and Old Navy when I was 4 months along. The problem is, I grew out of those, which I didn't think would happen.

Now, I still have two baby showers to attend, two weddings and Easter church all before I am due. There's no way I'm showing up in my boyfriend's clothes or in my tight, belly-bearing turtle necks. Seasons change too, and you can't go shopping just once and make your winter clothes work for spring time.

I'm not too proud to borrow or wear gently used clothing though. Especially when I only have another 8-9 weeks to go. Personally, I have been taking hand-me-downs since day one since my sister just had her baby.

Look up the nearest "Once Upon A Child" store and make the trip. Someone on the May mothers thread told me they drove out over 30 minutes to go to one. They have used maternity clothes for cheap, not to mention, baby clothes, toys, ect. I bought a new pair of booties with ducks on them for 50 cents there.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:17 PM   #9
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

I was lucky enough to have a friend who gave birth last August, so she gave me like 8 trash bags full of maternity clothes! (I'm due in June). Personally, I was in maternity clothes from 9 weeks on - my size 4 pants just wouldn't zip and I looked really stupid in my husband's clothes. I have bought a few things though - my favorite find was at a Fashion Bug - an $8 pair of 'jeans' that are over-the-belly - SO comfy - and a $6 button down striped shirt that looks awesome. I've checked out Kohl's, but I think they're way too expensive - I'm a total cheapskate. Old Navy has great maternity stuff - if you have the patience to pick through their clearance rack, you can find some awesome deals. I also took a trip to the mall this weekend and hit Motherhood Maternity store - I spent $65 and got a TON of stuff on clearance - everything for $9.99, except one pair of really nice work pants for $14.99. And I also went into Baby GAP to check out their maternity stuff - wicked expensive, but then I saw the clearance rack in the back and walked out with a $13 pink belted party dress that normally costs a fortune! I've also found that depending on the cut, you can get away with some regular clothes in plus sizes - some sundresses and shirts, but not really any pants.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

I agree with ebay, check it out. I have bought tons of stuff on there and really nice things. Anything from nursing bras and nursing shirts to pants and tops for maternity. Not the undies though lol yuck. I have a few pieces I could sell you even that I grew out of, I believe I have a pair of capris that are 8/10 with the belly pouch and a large pair of carpenter pants. A few shirts, large I believe. not problem if not interested. But definatly check out ebay, and also, I purchased some real cute shirts and bras at fashion bug, when they have there 70% off sale. I got shirts that normally go for $20 for like $3 lol, its great, I don't buy anything at the motherhood maternity store or anything full price, it does get expensive. Unless of course they have a good sale, which I never find. My 2 best places are fashion bug and ebay. good luck

Old 03-17-2005, 01:30 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

tallgirl1982 HB User

EBAY!!! LOL!! i havent bought much! only jog bottoms but i had those before! but i must agree ebay is fab!!! u will be kitted out for around £20!! LOL!!

Old 03-17-2005, 02:26 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

My advice is to buy as you really need. I was all excited and ran out and bought either things that I will never wear because i have nowhere to wear them, or I bought too much, because I tend to wear the same thing over and over ( you will have favorites trust me) I probably spent somewhere around 800.00, and would love to donate it at this point! Borrow, and when you need something, go out and buy it one at a time, these nine months go really fast!!!

Old 03-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #13
(female)

USPS84 HB User

I ordered from JC Penney online...Only because it was the only store to my knowledge that had PLUS SIZED Maternity clothes, which didn't make you look like a moo-cow!

Old 03-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

My problem was that I am thin, and when pregnant only gained in the belly, so I couldnt just go up a size or two without having the rest of the outfit be waaaay too baggy. Had to stick with maternity clothes for that reason--I hate the "saggy butt" look lol!

Old 03-17-2005, 04:38 PM   #15
(female)

lil*hottie HB User
Talking Re: The Clothes We Wear

I should be wearing maternaity clothes, but I don't! LOL!! I have been wearing stretchy shirts and shirts that I had before I was pregnant...And I have also gone to Goodwill (which if you don't know what that is, its just a second hand shop) and bought regular clothes in bigger sizes...And they have baby clothes there, and a lot of them are brand new for .99 cents...I just try to save money if I don't have to spend a lot...But thats me

Closed Thread