It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User
Blood pressure

Hello everybody

Today I went to see my consultant for the first time. He seems really nice and I trust him. I had my blood pressure taken and he said it was a bit elevated (130/80). He said that he's going to keep an eye on me and monitor the bp. I'm just a bit worried that this could be the beginning of an on-going problem. There is a history of high bp in my mom's side of the family. I'm only into my 4th month and have epilepsy to deal with so I don't want to add high bp to that.

Has anybody else had to deal with blood pressure problems in their pregnancy? I would really appreciate any advice/opinions.

Thanks so much!

Nicole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 09:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User
Re: Blood pressure

I am 23 weeks, and have PIH, which is pregnancy induced hypertension. I had it with my first pregnancy as well. This time, I have a much better doctor who has put me on medication for it. And just yesterday, she had to up my dose since my b.p. rose slightly. I know it's hard not to worry about it, but it sounds like you see someone who will closely monitor you and take the appropriate action, like medication, if need be. The only advice I can give you is to try and relax about, because that in itself will make your b.p. go up, drink plenty of water, and rest as much as possible. Even if you can only take 5 or 10 minutes here or there to sit down, do it, it is worth it. Good luck with everything, and I know everything will turn out fine for you and your baby.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 09:50 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User

Mine has been just the opposite, last time I went for my appointment - it was like 90/60...which to me seemed low.....

Old 03-17-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

Wow, that does seem low, has your b.p. ever been low like that? The bottom number seems good, but the top is kind of low. I did read once though that normal numbers can be as low as 110 on the top, so you aren't too far off.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User

Yea all along.....strange isn't it? They always tell me - "Looks great" when they are done.....so I guess I shouldn't worry about it.....right?

Old 03-17-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

Hey my guess would be if they say looks good, then it must. I think they worry more about high bp than low, so I guess you're one of the lucky ones

Old 03-17-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User

Yea - they do from what I understand......I guess until it changes - I shouldn't worry about - in fact - do note, your blood pressure can change from minute to minute....

Old 03-17-2005, 10:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

tigger -- I just found out I am pregnant, so I can't answer your question directly about high blood pressure and pregnancy. I can tell you that 130/80 is nothing you need to worry at this point. The 130 number is a tad high, but even in non-pregnant women, this BP reading would not require medication. Just continue to have it monitored throughout your pregnancy. Try not to worry about it (I know it is easier said than done) as worry can actually increase BP.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

Thanks so much everybody. I'm also going to ask my mom about this when I phone home on Sunday. She has high bp and takes medication. I'm just curious as to whether she had it during pregnancy.

I'm going to try and not worry about it but when you're pregnant I think it's easier said than done.

Again, thanks so much!

Old 03-17-2005, 01:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger_girl76
Hello everybody

Today I went to see my consultant for the first time. He seems really nice and I trust him. I had my blood pressure taken and he said it was a bit elevated (130/80). He said that he's going to keep an eye on me and monitor the bp. I'm just a bit worried that this could be the beginning of an on-going problem. There is a history of high bp in my mom's side of the family. I'm only into my 4th month and have epilepsy to deal with so I don't want to add high bp to that.

Has anybody else had to deal with blood pressure problems in their pregnancy? I would really appreciate any advice/opinions.

Thanks so much!

Nicole
Hello Nicole

I just wanted to let you know that when I was pregnant for my first time, the same thing happened to me. I developed high b/p in my fourth or fifth month and was went for a stress test once a week to check on the baby. I developed severly high b/p, along with Toxemia into my 8th month and was told to stop working and I was put on bed rest. I develped pre-eclampsia due to this and had my son emergency c-section 6 weeks early. Is this your first? Are you currently on b/p med's? I'm sure if your doctor is a good one, he/she will monitor you very closely. For now, that is not that bad (130/80) Mine rose to like (160/115) nearing my 8th month and when I was admitted, it was HIGHER!! Definatley rest when you can and try not to worry so much. Sometimes just thinking makes your blood pressure rise. Good luck with your pregnancy and make sure your doc takes great care of you!!!

Melly

Old 03-17-2005, 02:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

Hi Melly,

Yes this is my first pregnancy. I've never in my life ever had anything but normal bp. However when my mom was finally diagnosed with (she didn't like going to the doctor) high bp her's measured at 220/120. The doctor couldn't believe that she was still alive. She was on course for a stroke or an aneurysm (sp?). It's because of her high bp that this elevated bp of mine has me a bit worried. I know 130/80 isn't that bad...I just don't want it to be the start of something else. I do trust my doc though so I'm going to try and just put it out of my mind until my next appt.

Thanks for your post.

Nicole

Old 03-17-2005, 03:04 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Yes sweetie... put it so far out of your mind you forget the word blood pressure!! My dad would give his left foot to get 130/80 everytime he took his blood pressure! It's one of those things that the more you worry about it, the worse it gets. Just relax and enjoy your pregnancy!

Old 03-18-2005, 02:52 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

Thanks so much zekat! As a first time mum it's just worry after worry for me! *lol* I promise to try and relax now.

Nicole x

Closed Thread