It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

coppercoin HB User
Exclamation Quad screen high hcg

I certainly appreciate any input. I am 33 and 15 wks pregnant with my 2nd child. My OB did a quad screen at 14 wks, 1 day, which she now tells me may have been a little early. Inhibin, AFP and estriol are all normal but my hcg was flagged as high with a risk for Down syndrome. From what I've read, however, only one marker does not demonstrate an increased risk. She was unable to tell be the odds. I see a perinatologist at 18 wks. He wanted me to wait until then so he will have better level II US results. We are absolutely blessed no matter what the outcome but wondered if anyone has had similar test results? If so, what course of action and what outcome occurred? At this point I am very teary (hormones?)

I will repeat my quad screen at 16 weeks (per my request) and see if things are different.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by coppercoin; 03-17-2005 at 04:28 PM. Reason: BUMP

Old 03-17-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
(female)

coppercoin HB User
Re: Quad screen high hcg

Just trying to get this moved up, hope someone will answer...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 08:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Those tests aren't extremely accurate. I am not srue about the timing they should be done. THey offered me one at 18 weeks, sometime around there. I didnt' do it, cause I jsut didnt' want to, but I think they also look at a lot of other markers too, later on in ultrasounds, like arm length and soemthing on the heart, I don't know a whole lot! Hope all is well!

Old 03-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #4
(female)

coppercoin HB User

Thanks for your time and input.

Old 03-18-2005, 01:37 PM   #5
(female)

cfmommy HB User

This is one of the tests that I was soooo worried about because of the high percentage of false results. And my doctor warned me about it -- asked if I really wanted to have the test because of this. I opted to have the test 'cuz I figured I'd be a nervous wreck anyway. I'd already decided if it did show positive for downs or neural tube defects, I wasn't going to have any additional tests -- amnio etc. and just take my chances that all would be well.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:18 PM   #6
(female)

coppercoin HB User

I was kind of in the same boat. I refused it with my first but felt like it would reassure me this time. Well, I guess that was not a good decision. Thanks for your input. cfmommy, did your quad screen come out ok?

Old 03-25-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
(female)

princessputter HB User

hiya .. im currently 20 weeks.... and i just got my results and my inhibinA levels were slightly elevated....the nurse said it could mean.. a small for gestional age baby.. however.. they measure me and it was perfect... so off to the perinatologist i go....they just reciently started testing the inhibinA so.. i wondering if that the reason.... I hope everything is well with you...

They saw a child "in a world of his own". I see the most the most brilliant star. They saw a child "who may never speak". I see a gift that didn't need words. They saw a child with "limited possibility". I see a child, my child, who can soar past the sky.

mommy to Ryan and countless foster children...

Old 03-25-2005, 07:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiedy HB User

These tests are so tough, mostly b/c they are not 100% accurate. I dindn't know much about them, until my triple test came back positive. And then of course I learned everything about them possible. As most of you know, they are not very accurate, most positive results turn out to be fine, but also what I found scary was that the test will only pick up around 60% of possible abnormalities, 40% of babies w/ genetic abnormalities will test normal on this test. So I guess you're never really safe. I've read that in England they don't do this test at all for these reasons. The quadruple test is a new test, looking at 4 markers rather then 3, and supposed to be better. But I guess still not perfect. The only way to know for sure is to have amnio done, which will tell you for sure if there are any genetic abnormalities. I had that test done almost 2wks ago, I should find out the results by next tuesday. The whole experience has been so nerve racking, my life w/ respect to the baby has been put on hold for the last 3wks. I just had to know, if the result is bad, I'd rather know now then 4 mo from now, b/c if it's going to happen it will happen, and ignoring it won't make it go away. So this was my reasoning, I hope all goes well with you,

Closed Thread