It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 05:42 PM   #1
(male)

Mentis HB User
Chicken pox vaccine and pregancies... help!!

Hi,
I am a happy but VERY worried father-to-be.
I had chicken pox at 18/11/2004, which i ask my wife to get vaccinated
just in case i pass it to her.

Now my wife is about 6 weeks pregnant. Will the vaccine cause any complications to my unborn child and my wife ?

Please help !!! I am worried sick.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
(female)

taberlan HB User
Re: Chicken pox vaccine and pregancies... help!!

You need to talk to her obgyn, it is not safe...that is all I can find on it...So far I haven't found out why. I will keep looking, maybe I will stumble onto something. keep us updated and I wish you both lots of luck....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 08:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

The chicken pox vaccine, like most vaccines, isnt' safe because it is a live virus, just in a small small amount, and it is possible that from the innoculation you can actually get the disease, it is rare though. Chicken pox from what I hear can be rather dangerous to pregnant women, however not so much to the general public, which is why I never understood the need for the vaccine anyway! But, if she got the vaccine, and didnt' get the chicken pox, it is probably ok, however you do need to talk to the dr!
Okay I just reread the post again, and you had the chicken pox in November? When did she have vaccine? Cause if it was that long ago, you wouldnt' still be contagious, and any risk of getting the chicken pox from the vaccine would be over. Chicken pox is only contagoius right at first, and has tops a 14 day incubation time.

Old 03-18-2005, 06:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

You definitely need to call the doctor about the vaccine. Chances are that it's fine, but the doctor should be aware. I was vaccinated for Rubella prior to getting pregnant, another vaccination that is harmful during pregnancy, and was told that it was critical that I did not get pregnant for a minimum of 3 months. Depending on when she got the vaccination, she should probably be okay, but I would still call and mention it to the doctor.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiedy HB User

I can tell you what i know, since 3 wks ago i found out that a blood test done at 8wks showed that i dont have any antibodies against chickenpox. This means I never had chickenpox, i was shocked to say the least. So first thing to determine is wether your wife ever had the infection, in which case she doesnt need the vaccine. This can simply be done by a blood test.

My doctor told me that you cannot get the vaccine while pregnant because of what most have already mentioned, the virus is live and can cause the infection. Even if mild, the infection can be very damaging to the baby in first 20weeks of pregnancy. After that period, it becomes very dangerous to the mother. Another time to worry about is about a week before you deliver and a week after, because you dont want the baby to contract the virus when its immune system is very weak. So for me all i can do is avoid children, or always ask if they were vaccinated, which in this day and age, most kids got the vaccine. If I do ever get exposed, i can get a shot of immunoglobulin that can diminish symptoms.

So dont get your wife to get the vaccine, first have her doctor run some tests, first. hope this helps,

Last edited by Kiedy; 03-18-2005 at 11:27 AM.

Closed Thread