It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User
Heart Palpatations

Do many of you women here experience heart palpatations during pregnancy? My heart has been having a funny beat to it all night. I used to get panic attacks several years ago and it feels very similar. I've heard that the heart rate does increase when you're pregnant, but can it cause your heart to beat abnormally?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 10:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User
Re: Heart Palpatations

I have had a few of those, i am not sure if it is normal, i think they say anytime your heart beat is off it is abnormal, but it is probably caused by the fact that you are pumping more blood and getting tired and out of breath easier. Ask the Dr about it jsut to make sure though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 04:52 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Hi

I've also experienced some palpitations - I don't know if it's normal or not but they don't seem to last long. I've been told in the past that I have a heart murmer but the doctor said it was just caused by the blood bubbling as it was pumped through. So I'm guessing that now I have increased amounts of blood it's just the same thing but I'm more aware of it.

Spanish

Old 03-18-2005, 06:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User

I have it- it doesn't happen all the time. I also dealt with and continue to deal with Anxiety - I DID ask the DR about it and she told me it is nothing to worry about....Your heart beat does increase and so does the blood flow....It always concerns me (as a result of my Anxiety!)

Old 03-18-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

YES YES YES!! I thought I was the only one!!! I have had these funny beats (pvc's) for years, plus a fast heart rate and episodes of pounding 140-180 bpm. I was scheduled for a "procedure" to get them fixed but then I got pregnant. The "funny beats" do get worse with pregnancy because of the extra hormones. I have days that I will get them once a min. for hours and it feels like Im going to die. The meds to treat them do go to the baby though so I refuse to take them. Anyway, this is probably more than you wanted to know but it is nice to know I am not alone.
Jen

Old 03-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. After 5 hours of palpitations I couldn't take it anymore. So I called the Doctor's last night at 1am. My doctor had given me the number to the labor and delivery department and told me to call at night with any questions. She REALLY put my mind at ease. She gave me some home remedies to use if it happens again.

They sound weird, but they actually did help last night.

1. Close your eyes and push in hard on your eyeballs. (obviously don't hurt yourself)

2. The point on your neck where you might check your pulse after working out, press on it and massage for several minutes.

3. Push as if you are using the restroom.

She said that all of those things can slow the heart rate down.
To the poster who mentioned the palpitations feeling like you're going to die. I know what you mean! It is just the most unsettling feeling. When your heart is "acting funny" it can really make you nervous.

Closed Thread