It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 05:00 AM   #1
(female)

ryantiques HB User
So worried about iugr, now low amniotic fluid

Hi everyone,

You may remeber I have posted a couple times about IUGR and the detection of an Umbilical Vein Varix (dialation) a wee bit back.

I'm 31 2/7 weeks today and yesterday had my bi-weekly ultrasound to check growth and blood flow.

My last four ultrasounds left my Baby Girl in the 13th percentile, 17th, 17th and now 13th percentile again. However this time the amniotic fluid is low.

I've been put on bed rest, told to drink plenty of water and do kick counts twice a day. In addition I go Mondays and Thursdays for NST's and Weekly (the Thursday) Ultrasounds. As of yesterday the baby weighed 2lbs and 12 ozs. Which is up 9oz from March third. I'm going to a large teaching hospital so they have stepped up on the survelience, so to speak.

The Dr yesterday told me that she didn't think I would be making it to 37 weeks (I'm having another c-section, third in fact) and have multiple problems myself health wise since the delivery of my first in 1995.

My problem is the hospital is two hours away, Hubby needs to work, we don't live near family and two trips a week with a 10yr old and 5 year old in school is looking pretty difficult at best. DH has been amazing, I've been feeling unwell anyway and he has transported kids to and from school, food shopped (allthough not in a very healthy way), cleaned everything....etc etc Don't know where he finds the energy.

The Dr. yesterday said the IUGR was Asymmetrical which means in her words that baby won't be born with that extra fat belly. The nutrients and oxygen are going straight away to the brain and heart. Through all this no one has told me anything about the babies well being, so to speak, other than she is small.

Oh and she was in the pike position head down the entire time until yesterday's US she is now breech, which I don't think is a concern due the c-section. I also have a ventral hernia which will be repaired after the delivery as well as the tubes tied.

I don't know what I'm looking for here other than some experiences with IUGR, weights etc, and low amnio fluid...any thoughts are welcomed and prayers are more than appreciated.

Take Care and God Bless
Jessica (EDD May 18th, looking like any week now)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 06:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: So worried about iugr, now low amniotic fluid

I don't have any first hand experience with this, but I just wanted to tell you to hang in there and I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. Zayazmamma had similar concerns and delivered her baby early due to low amniotic fluid. She's probably not on much, since she just had her baby last Monday. Her baby was small but healthy and she made it I think to 36 weeks, despite having her first baby 12 weeks early.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
(female)

ryantiques HB User

Thank you jm,

I know Zayazmamma just had her baby at I think it was 34 weeks? I've read her threads and have some faith things will go well for me too. Thanks for the reply and prayers.

I was reading about low fluid and there is some theory that water immersion daily can increase the amnio fluid so in addition to laying in bed and drinking I think a nightly bath will help too.

I go Monday for a NST and then again Thursday for another and to check the fluid and growth. Wish me luck.

Take Care
Jessica

Old 05-23-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
(female)

kcherrywa HB User

I had low amnio fluid my last pregnancy too, but it was measured low after my due date. When it happens late in the pregnancy it's due to the aging of the placenta and there's nothing you can do about it, but at your stage in your pregnancy it's very much related to fluid intake. Drink as much fluid as you can!!! Your pee should be nearly colorless -- if it's more than the palest yellow that means it's concentrated and you are not getting enough to drink. Milk and water are the best because juice has lots of sugar in it. Stay away from caffeinated tea, coffee and sodas since caffeine is a natural diuretic and the fluid will just go in one end and out the other.
I learned this because with my first baby, I had contractions at 32 weeks and my doctor explained this was due to not getting enough liquids. There is a hormone that starts being produced in your body (can't remember the name of it) to prepare your body to give birth, and if you don't get enough fluids it will be more concentrated in your bloodstream than it should be and this can trigger early contractions. So there are multiple reasons to make sure to get plenty of water.
I think I'll go get myself a big glass of water now....

Closed Thread