It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #1

loveyousma08 HB User
not so good news from the doctor

hey everyone, yesterday I had my glucose screening...this morning the doctor called saying that it was "abnormaly high" and that I needed to come back in to get tested for diabeties. I talked to one of my friends and they said that I shouldn't worry because its common with pregnancys..is this true? Now I'm worried to eat anything sweet. lol. I just wanted to see if this was common and if I need to be worried. Thanks bunches!

Old 03-18-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
(female)

MomInApril HB User
Re: not so good news from the doctor

I wouldn't worry at this point ... I believe this is one of the tests that has a high false-positive rate. They'll likely make you go in for a 3-hour test that is more precise. I know two people who had to go for the 3-hour test and their results were just fine. So try to relax ... it will probably be fine! And if you do have gestational diabetes I don't think that it is necessarily harmful to the baby, especially if you're aware of it and can monitor things with your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
(female)

cfmommy HB User

I flunked my 1 hour test and passed the 3 hour test. I was soooo worried, too. But I thought back to the few days prior to the 1 hour test -- we'd had a bunch of birthday parties at work and I'd been eating donuts, cookies, cake non-stop for several days up until the test. No wonder I flunked!

Old 03-18-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

don't worry it is not a big deal, I had it with my daughter and I am sure to have it with this one. Just take the other test, it is boring and stinks lol, but it will let you know if you have it or not. If not great, if you do have it, the only thing you have to do is watch your sugar intake, pasta, bread, etc... stuff with carbs and sugar. Not saying you can't eat it, just in moderation. Like if you were going for say pizza, have 1 piece and then a salad or something. that is what I did and had a 7 lb 9 oz lil girl. The downfalls to having the diabetes is that you can have a large baby (I didn't), and the baby can have either low blood sugar or some jaundice. Its not that big of a deal honest. You get used to not eating all the sugary stuff. In the beginning it will be a bit harder, cause you will have to test your sugars after you eat, every time. So you have to do the finger ***** test alot. This is to monitor what your sugars are with what you eat. And if you can control the sugars with diet, then you won't have to take insulin, but if you can't control it, then insulin it is, and it is for the best for both you and your baby. But don't worry til they actually diagnose you with it. And the other thing is you only have it during pregnancy, once you give birth, it goes away, but you also have a higher chance of getting diabetes when you get older. But like I said don't worry yet, til you find out. good luck.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:47 PM   #5
(female)

ryantiques HB User

I also had GD with both previous pregnancies and my son was born over 10lbs. (Having the opposite problem this time around)

Good luck on your three hour test, I also failed my 1 hr screening test and passed the 3 hour with flying colors. I agree the one hour is too short to get an accurate reading and remember the test is screening only, even if you fail the three hour depending on the levels it will just mean you need to be more careful with your diet.

I wish you the best, let us know.
Jessica

Closed Thread