It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrittyGreenEyez HB User
Why didn't i listen??

Okay, I am seriously angry at myself right now. I happened to be watching the Discovery Health Channel last night and it was following around 9 different women who were at different stages of pregnancy. Pretty much they were showing the development of the baby and what goes on during what month and toward the end of the segment they showed the delivery process. (my sister in law warned me not to watch other womens labors...did i listen? NO) I'm trying to get an idea of what i'm gonna be like in the delivery room (lol* i know that sounds very stupid) but it aggrivates me not knowing right now how much pain I can tolerate. I've fractured my leg back in school playing softball and sprained my ankle, but that's about the only PAIN i've felt. My fiance could not stop laughing at me because the narrator of this segment said labor would be the most difficult thing and it's putting all these muscles to the test. She even went on to say that a baby being born (coming out the cervix and such) is like trying to force a softball down your throat. My jaw dropped, my eyes went into a deep stare and i couldn't believe what I had just heard. I seriously wanna keep him in there for a couple of more years until I'm sure i can handle the pain. These ladies weren't screaming (like on other shows) but you could tell they were uncomfortable...my fiance had a field day with this and slowly came over and kissed me and said "i'm so glad i'm not a woman"....gee, yeah thanks! I've got 1 more month to go and I can't help but feel so nervous. I mean, I am litterally scared to my witts end. Eveyrone tells me that if it was SO bad, women wouldn't be having 5 even 8 kids. It's normal to feel this worried right? I'm thinking I'm so scared right now, but when I actually go into labor I might surprise myself and it won't be AS BAD as originally thought up to be. Eeek!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: Why didn't i listen??

I've never had a baby before, but I imagine that what makes people do it again and again is the reward. I mean, when you break your leg or smash your finger in a car door the pain is terrible BUT there is no reward so you always look at the experience as a negative one. I'm sure the pain of childbirth is worse than any other pain, but also the reward is better than any other reward so it kind of trumps the pain. That's my take on it anyway. You will be able to take the pain & smile when you are done!

Old 03-18-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

redsox-there is a reason why women have children and not men--they DO NOT have the pain tolerance a woman does. So, in a way, your man is correct in being happy he isn't a woman.
BUT-I have been through the pregnancy thing two times now, and am expecting my 3rd end of April beginning of May. I too, watched that show last night--and starting feeling the same way you do. But then again, I am here on this post telling you about it, so I did survive. You can do it!! It is hard, it isn't easy. BUT there are so many alternatives as far as meds now that can make it bearable. And SERIOUSLY--you don't really remember the pain when you have that baby in your arms for the first time. Once I saw the glow on the mom's faces (on that show) I remembered how truly BEAUTIFUL labor was. You are a normal pregnant woman feeling fears at this point. Hang in there! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
Inactive

yamamama HB User

packerfan is right. The minute you hold your precious little baby, all is forgotton. No matter how much pain your in it all just goes away for a moment so you can enjoy the new life you have just brought into the world. This is my second,my first went not so well. I remember alot of it...but it didnt stop me from wanting to have another child, Because it is the greastest gift you will ever recieve. Take the pain meds,I've heard they help. I was dumb and didnt take them(well I guess nieve is more the word). Scream if you have too,cry,it's okay. Believe it or not,pushing feels good after you have been through the contractions for so long,you just wanna push and that helps. You will see how truly strong of a woman you are when you are holding your baby,and you will never forget that. Good luck

Old 03-18-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
(female)

Im_Robyn HB User

Ive gone through labor twice and am actually looking foward to doing it again.
Ive done it with and without an epideral and even though it really was the hardest most painfull thing I have ever done and ever will do I look back and think how wonderful it was because as soon as I saw my beautiful baby girls I thought each time that the pain and discomfort was nothing compared to overwhelming pride and love I felt for my perfect baby and that I would go through it again for them in a heart beat.
I guarentee that as soon as you hold your wonerful baby you'll forget all about the pain and know that it was more that worth it.
Try not to scare yourself too much because it will be the best memory of your life.
Enjoy the wonderful experience.
Robyn

Last edited by Im_Robyn; 03-18-2005 at 08:36 PM.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I wasn't scared but more concerned about labor with the first pregnancy and it ended up being easier than I had prepared myself for, don't get me wrong, pre-epidural active labor is hell, but I think I had worked myself up into expecting it to be alot more worse. After the fact...once that little baby is out and the contractions immediatly stop, so does the majority of the pain.

Old 03-19-2005, 02:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

Redsox,

I'm nearly 14 weeks pregnant with my first and whenever I think about the labor and delivery I get a bit nervous and doubt whether I will be able to handle it. I watch a lot of those birth shows and I always tear up when the woman delivers her baby. No matter how much pain she was in she always forgets about it as soon as the baby is given to her. You can see the instant love for her baby wash away all memories of the pain. We'll be the same way.

Take care.

Nicole

Old 03-19-2005, 04:37 AM   #8
(female)

saradaemon HB User

Well I had my son in jan 2001, my knee broke in jan 2003. I must say that my knee hurt WAY MORE than having my son BY FAR!!!! But of course the pain is different with each person. Don't worry if you are like me then you can just "zone" so to speak and not think about the pain. If you focus on it then it will be worse than what you expected.

Closed Thread