It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

so paranoid HB User
Foods to avoid in pregnancy

Hi everyone!

I wonder if someone out there can shed a bit of light on the above subject please....we (preggies) are told to avoid soft cheeses when pregnant eg. brie but can be eat soft cheeses like laughing cow? We are also warned about deli meats in pregnancy so is it ok to eat at subway and quiznos etc. Also are take aways restaurants and chinese buffets etc ok to eat at? All the warnings make me so confused on what to eat and what to avoid. You can tell by my user name how paranoid I am and it is driving me crazy!!! Thanks for your help.

Old 03-19-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User
Re: Foods to avoid in pregnancy

*pulls out list given by doctor*

My doctor has told me to NOT eat cheese such as
-blue
-brie
-feta
-queso fresco

12oz of fish once a week that CAN include:
-Salmon
-Haddock
-Cod
-1 can of Tuna per week
Having more than above amount can be harmful due to mercury levels

Most meat is ok so long as it is cooked well. Our immune systems are compromised during pregnancy so we are more succeptible to food borne bacteria and other illnesses.

As for deli meat. I was told that it is ok to eat so long as it is heated up beforehand. With that in mind I think quiznos would be ok.

I avoid caffeine even though I've been told its ok to have 1 cup a day. Caffeine causes my heart to palpitate and those symtpoms can be even more pronounced in pregnant women due to increased blood flow.

I also don't drink any herbal tea and have read several warnings about doing so. If I have tea, it's decaf tea.

My bet is that there are some across the board ideas of what is ok and what is not, but then at certain points they diverge and have their own guidelines. I've heard of doctors who say its ok to have a glass of wine now and then. Mine doesn't believe in that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
(female)

so paranoid HB User

Thank you so much for your detailed response Miss Chicopea. I have got to the stage where I am afraid to eat out anywhere and am driving my hubby crazy! You're a star!

Last edited by so paranoid; 03-19-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

Aww you're very welcome. I think being cautious is a good thing, but don't drive yourself nuts! I do know what you mean though about over analyzing every food you eat. I'm sure you'll be ok if avoid the big no nos though. Good luck to both you....and hubby!

Old 03-19-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
(female)

kwojtul HB User

What about shellfish? Lobster, crab legs... is it OK to eat this once in a while?

Old 03-19-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

I was actually given a very detailed list of what fish is ok and what fish is not because I live in New England. My list is very specific to this area. I'll list it though.

Freshwater fish caught in streams in streams, rivers, lakes and ponds in Massachusetts.....Do not eat

Fish that are stocked in streams, rivers, lakes and ponds in Massachusetts...safe to eat

Cod, Haddock, Flounder and Pollock in larger amounts.......safe to eat

Lobster from New Bedford Harbor....Do Not Eat

Swordfish, Shark, Kin Mackerel, Tilefish and Tuna Steak....Do Not Eat

Bluefish caught off of Massachusetts coast....Do Not Eat

Lobster, Flounder, Soft-shell clams and bivalvles from Boston Harbor...Do Not Eat

Now some of these are specific, but some are not. I think it may depend on the area you live in.

Old 03-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #7
(female)

ohnotagain HB User

Gday from Australia. Here is a list of foods I have beengiven by my Midwife and Doctors. FOODS TO EAT are as follows: VITAMIN A for baby cell tissue development, vision and immune system. VIT C for collagen in tissue, bones and teeth. Also assists body to absorb Iron. IRON supplements during second and third trimester. CALCIUM for baby bones, teeth, muscles, heart and nerve development. Also to benefit yourself. VIT D assists Calcium absorption Sunlight is the main source of this. (not a problem is Australia), FOLATE is essential to prvent neural tube defects such as spina bifida. VIT B12 activates the folate in body. FIBRE prevents constipation. OMEGA-3 from oily fish such as salmon, trout and sardines. It contains essential fatty acid that is important in the growth and development of baby. FAT/OIL/SUGAR/SALT aim to include only in small amounts. Try cooking with vegetable oil which unlike animal fat have no effect on cholesterol
WHAT TO AVOID:
Pate, soft and blue cheese, processed meat which can cause Listeriosis
Raw eggs can contain Salmonella
Liver
Peanuts-allergies

Enjoy your Pregnancy, and remember that most of the vitamins and minerals can be obtained from fresh food. Just be aware that in order to asbsorb some of them, you need another to aid in the absorbtion. Ie/we need VIT C in order to absorb IRON

Old 03-19-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

anyone know if crab ragoon is safe (chinese food)

Old 03-19-2005, 07:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

mmmmmmmm crab rangoon, I love that stuff, and I eat it with no problems, never though to ask. I will have to find that one out.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Well everyone will tell you different things. I posted a thing about Listeria a while back, it's extremely dangerous to babies, and soem other things it is in are ice cream, mexican cheeses (nacho cheese), vegetables. It is ok to eat lunch meat reheated, but if that lunch meat was on the sandwich, then the listeria could be on the cheese and bread and such. Personally I do not eat from places like subway anyway (got food poisioining from two places like that!) And if I do order something from another place I always reheat everything! Buffets are not good, because the food is not always kept warm enough.
In the US they say to avoid too much Vitamin A, it can cause problems, but just what you get from foods probably wouldn't hurt. The main thing to remeber is make sure everything is cooked complety, if it is lunch meat that you are reheating, it needs to be steaming, or like cheese that has been near lunch meat, till it bubbles up. Also, i am not eating icecream or anything that is made with unpasturized or uncultred milk.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I called our 24 hour health hotline today because it is my birthday and we were going out to dinner, and one of my favorite places is Red Lobster. I asked if lobster and shrimp are ok and she listed off a whole list of foods, most of which were mentioned above (swordfish, and big lake fish like trout were mentioned too) but lobster and shrimp were fine...needless to say my belly is protruding more than usual tonight! YUM!

Old 03-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #12
(female)

aWorrier777 HB User

What about Chinese take out? I heard something out MSG being dangerous but I don't even think most Chinese places use that anymore. I like Hot and Sour Soup and Vegetable Lo Mein. Once in a while I like to get Garlic Chicken too. Thanks.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:21 PM   #13
(female)

DazedandConfused HB User
Wink Re: Foods to avoid in pregnancy

I think personally that if u eat normally, u will do fine...i mean, meat left out, or raw eggs you would probably never eat anyway..i ate fish all the way through my last pregnancy, and my daughter is perfectly healthy...i stayed away from shark and those kinds of fish..well actually i ate shark once..which is really good....but i did not know about the mercury level thing till after the fact....but no harm done...i mean some things are common sense and some things are not and i think that is where moms to be get confused..u r told one thing by one person, and then another thing from other people..doctors approach this topic with different viewpoints....so where can a mom to be find the right answer?.....well trust your instincts..if u think there might be an inkling of doubt to what u are eating, probably put it down...but my advice is...don't worry to much....what u eat, or even the amount one would eat will probably not hurt your baby..unless u r eating a 10 pound fish a week, u will do fine..there are guidelines, rules if i may say, that they say to go by....but u know what..these babies are not as fragile as u may think, for instance...say u were not taking your vitamins..and u were getting low on one mineral..the baby will compensate by taking your supply before they are affected....that was just an example....prob not a good thing to happen..but u know what i mean....if u take care of yourself..watch what u eat...mcdonalds everyday is prob a big no no..there should be warnings on that place..what that can do to your system is something else..but i am sure you all are doing the right things for your baby...i guess i should get to the point now....just don;t worry too much You all seem like good moms , who love their babies, and asking these questions proves that u do:-)

DazedandConfused

Last edited by DazedandConfused; 03-23-2005 at 04:21 PM.

Closed Thread