It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 06:33 AM   #1
(female)

kellic2000 HB User
Spotting Questions...

I go in for my ultrasound later today to determine if I am, in fact pregnant, as the blood and urine tests say no, while my body says yes. Perfectly according to Murphy's Law, or anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, I started spotting a few days ago. Not heavy, and not like a period at all, the first couple days, only first thing in the morning, and just a touch of pink on the toilet paper. Yesterday it was a little more, but still just on the paper after I went to the washroom. This morning, it's still like that, and it's more brown than pink. I am scheduled for a transvaginal ultrasound at 2:00 this afternoon. Should I cancel it because of the spotting, or do I need to call them and explain what is happening and see what they say? I really want to get this done ASAP as it's stressing me out not knowing if I am p/g or not and this is the only way to know for sure.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User
Re: Spotting Questions...

yes let your doc know what is going on, but he will or should have you keep the appointment for the u/s, as when you spot during pregnancy like that, it could mean something is wrong, but most likely not. and they will do an u/s anyway to make sure nothing is wrong. I had alot of spotting in the very beginning of my pregnancy also, everytime it was nothing, but I had probably 4-5 u/s before the 20wk routine u/s because of it. I know in the very beginning your cervix is changing so it is more sensitive, so if you have had sex or done anything at all to bump your cervix, it can bleed, but in such a small amount it won't come out right away and when it does, it normally will be pink then brown, like you have now, the brown is old blood. I had the spotting off and on til I was about 12-14 wks pg, then I had no more problems, but because of the spotting I was not aloud to have sex or do any heavy lifting etc... I felt bad cause my daughter wanted me to play with her etc... I am still not lifting heavy as when I do I feel it, but basically my life is back to normal now, and I am 22 wks pg. hope this helps you, and good luck with your u/s

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
(female)

kellic2000 HB User

Thanks, I jsut called the u/s clinic to see if it was OK for them to proceed even with the spotting, and the tech said it didn't bother her at all, and not to worry about it, so I'll be there with bells on at 2. Fingers crossed!

Old 03-21-2005, 07:22 PM   #4
(female)

really scared HB User

so kellic what happened are you preggers?

Old 03-21-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

so how did everthing go kellic? just curious to see how you are

Old 03-22-2005, 05:18 AM   #6
(female)

kellic2000 HB User

Pulling out my hair here. The tech is not permitted by law to tell me anything apparently, I have to speak with my Doctor. They said it will take a week to get the results to the Dr. so now I have to wait again I think they axaggerate a bit about how long it takes to send results, so I'll start calling the Dr.'s office in a couple of days to see if the results are there yet. I've booked and appointment for next Wednesday, but I'll see if I can weasle my way in before that. I have had quite a bit more bleeding since the U/S. I was having spotting before the test, but since, I have had it worse, it's heavier and brighter red blood now. It is slowing down this morning though, so I think she just irritated something in there with her probing. The woman should be a poker player. I couldn't see the screen, and she gave nothing away by her expressions. Just scanned and clicked away as she went. The only thing she said was that she had trouble getting the right ovary and had to push the probe to the side further than normal to see it. Does that mean that there was something she had to see around maybe? Hope I can keep my sanity till next week now.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:00 AM   #7
(female)

Songbirder HB User

how long is your period overdue?

Old 03-22-2005, 07:46 AM   #8
(female)

kellic2000 HB User

it's irregular, but I usually get one every 60 days (maximum) or so, nothing for 4 months now till this bit of spotting.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:54 AM   #9
(female)

Songbirder HB User

oh right, irregular periods make it so much harder to know what's normal for you, don't they! if you don't know when you're likely to ovulate etc, you can't tell how far along you are. I'm off the pill since last September, and I have been having strange variations in my cycle, I thought that they had settled, but no! Best of luck anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellic2000
it's irregular, but I usually get one every 60 days (maximum) or so, nothing for 4 months now till this bit of spotting.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:16 AM   #10
(female)

kellic2000 HB User

I've always been irregular unless I was on the pill. Was never an issue, I rather liked nothaving to worry about a/f every month, but makes things more complicated when it comes to getting pregnant for sure. I wasn't even really worried this time till I started feeling other symptoms that said I might be pregnant, then I thought I'd better look into what was going on. So, I could be up to 4 months along for all I know, then again, I may not be pregnant at all. I'll get it figured out next week once and for all hopefully.

Hope you get your cycles all sorted out too songbirder!

Old 03-22-2005, 03:15 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

Is that a state law? When I had my first ultrasound at 7 weeks I had the screen facing me and she pointed everything out to me. She was not my doctor. She showed the heart beating, etc. Is it because of the nature of the ultrasound? By that I mean because they aren't sure if you are or aren't? That would irritate me to no end. I'm so sorry you have to wait even LONGER now. I've honestly been waiting to hear your results with bated breath. When I clicked on page 2 my computer went into crawl mode. I kept thinking, c'mon c'mon is she?! Sorry hun. *hugs*

Old 03-22-2005, 05:30 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

The results do not take a week, they always told me 24-48 hours and docs will know something. I am surprised they did not let you see the screen. They are not aloud to tell you anything, but they can show you things. Like if you are pg when you go for the routine 20wk u/s they will tell you, here is the leg, the arm, the spine etc.... but they cannot tell you if anything is wrong or anything. I am hoping for the best for you, start calling the docs lol, bug them, they will get it faster, least mine did. Not only that, when it comes to spotting issues and what not, they tend to get things done faster then routine just incase anything is wrong or whatever. You are prolly breeding more now because of being poked around as if you are pg, your cervix is softer and easier to damage if you will, can't think of an other way of saying it lol. I think you are since you had poking around your cervix and are bleeding a little, but we shall see, make sure to update us asap lol, we are all rooting for ya. good luck

Old 03-22-2005, 09:06 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

They dont' have to show you the screen, it depends on the tech. Some of them will let you hear the heart beat and show it to you, others want, techincally they aren't allowed to. It surely shouldnt take a week for the results to get there. All they do, usually is send them by computer to the radioliogist or the dr. and they read them. That takes like 24 hours. If it is a weekend and the radioigist thinks all looks fine you might not hear from your dr for a few days, though!
Hope all is well!

Old 03-23-2005, 05:53 AM   #14
(female)

kellic2000 HB User

Thanks everyone, the ultrasound clinic said it would take a week, and I called the Dr. office to book an appointment as well, and they said "at least a week". It is a law here (Ontario Canada) that the tech can't discuss anything on the u/s with you. I think they actually send the pics by courier here, as she printed out a big strip of pics and was making notes on them as I was leaving. I tried snooping at the pics, but couldn't make out anything that I could recognize. I only saw one though. I will be calling the Dr. tomorrow to see if they have the results. One phone call couldn't hurt, I don't want to bug them too much, but I also want to know what's up. It is a long weekend this weekend, so I won't be able to get in till at least Tuesday anyways, and I already have an apptment booked for Wednesday, so I mat not know anything till then still. I'm still having a little bleeding from the u/s but not much now.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:56 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I live in Alberta, Canada and I had an ultrasound one afternoon at almost 8 weeks because we were worried that my HCG levels had plummeted then come up again slightly...anyhow, I had a phone call from the Dr less than 2 hours later discussing the results...but I had already known because the tech told me most of it after she had done her measurements etc. I think it depends on the clinic...a friend of mine wanted to know the sex of her baby and actually called around to ultrasound labs beforehand to find out if they would tell her or not...then when it came time to book her ultrasound she requested her OB book her at the one she chose. I actually have come to think that sometimes they give us that excuse so they don't have to discuss it if they prefer not to. I would call your Dr and ask if they got the results yet. I can't imagine that they would make someone wait so long especially if you think what if they did in fact have an incomplete miscarriage(not saying that that is what happened to you, but I know that complications can arise if thats the case and it isn't treated)...Not that I'd want you to lie but maybe use that if you need to to get some results....tell them you are concerned that with the long weekend that if it is an incomplete miscarriage that you will run into seriuos problems if you wait it out until your appointment. Goodluck.

Closed Thread